Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some property today that is holding around 1000 geese. I talked to the owner of the field and he wants to lease it out next year. Only problem is he wants $6500.00 for the season. Most of the field is oat and winter wheat. Does any one else feel that if you want to shoot lots of ducks and geese that you will have to pay for it. Is hunting becoming a rich mans sport?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
I’m curious, how many acres are included in that lease for $6500?

If you don't want to hunt on public land, and don't your own hunting land; then hunting has become a rich man's sport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
It's even happening in Idaho 7.2 million for some property that will be made into a rich mans club. The owner is from Florida. Mallardpin it will not be long before those refuges in your neck of the woods are going to be like Farmington when all the development that is coming in the next few years. 10Tenner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
The answer to your question is: yes. Waterfowling is not for the faint of heart or for those not willing to spend a LOT of money. Try adding up the costs associated with our sport: decoys, waders, calls, guns, blinds, boats, ect. The cost of a good waterfowling coat is enough to scare you to death. To hunt on a tight budget, you could maybe get away with a crappy pair of waders, a somewhat waterproof camo jacket, camo hat, some cheap decoys, some steel shells, and an inexpensive shotgun. Just this bare minimum will set you back $400.00, then of coarse, you will become addictied and yearn to have decent equipment. When this hits, you better hope that you don't have a family to feed, because inevitably, it will be them who will suffer from the lack of money in the checking account due to your selfish desire to hunt ducks with decent equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
rjefre said:
The answer to your question is: yes. Waterfowling is not for the faint of heart or for those not willing to spend a LOT of money. Try adding up the costs associated with our sport: decoys, waders, calls, guns, blinds, boats, ect. The cost of a good waterfowling coat is enough to scare you to death. To hunt on a tight budget, you could maybe get away with a crappy pair of waders, a somewhat waterproof camo jacket, camo hat, some cheap decoys, some steel shells, and an inexpensive shotgun. Just this bare minimum will set you back $400.00, then of coarse, you will become addictied and yearn to have decent equipment. When this hits, you better hope that you don't have a family to feed, because inevitably, it will be them who will suffer from the lack of money in the checking account due to your selfish desire to hunt ducks with decent equipment.
yeah tell me about it i am an e-4 and i support 2 kids, a wife and a couple dogs. i use my crappy decoys with my crappy waiders but i still get ducks. i would like some nice waiders, a coat, maybe some better decoys but i do appretiate what i have and i have a blast doing it. i may have only shot 4 geese in my 2 years of hunting, but i would rather shoot a limit ofducks than a limit of geese
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I CAND BELIVE U SAID YOU WOULD RATHER KILL A LIMIT OF DUCKS THAN A LIMIT OF GEESE. ANY FOOL CAN KILL A DUCK, A GOOSE ON THE OTHER HAND TAKES SOME KIND OF SKILL. NOT EVERY ONE CAN GO OUT AND KILL A LIMIT OF GEESE EVERY TIME OUT, BUT DUCKS IS LIKE A NO BRAINER.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like ducks too, I just love watching geese commit to the decoys. With all the mojos and spinning wing decoys, i just think it is too easy to get ducks to commit into gun range. To each his own, I like shooting both
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
neckcollar said:
I CAND BELIVE U SAID YOU WOULD RATHER KILL A LIMIT OF DUCKS THAN A LIMIT OF GEESE. ANY FOOL CAN KILL A DUCK, A GOOSE ON THE OTHER HAND TAKES SOME KIND OF SKILL. NOT EVERY ONE CAN GO OUT AND KILL A LIMIT OF GEESE EVERY TIME OUT, BUT DUCKS IS LIKE A NO BRAINER.
If it was that easy to kill a limit of ducks every time out then we wouldn't have any left with all hunters running around trying to kill them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mojo1 said:
neckcollar said:
I CAND BELIVE U SAID YOU WOULD RATHER KILL A LIMIT OF DUCKS THAN A LIMIT OF GEESE. ANY FOOL CAN KILL A DUCK, A GOOSE ON THE OTHER HAND TAKES SOME KIND OF SKILL. NOT EVERY ONE CAN GO OUT AND KILL A LIMIT OF GEESE EVERY TIME OUT, BUT DUCKS IS LIKE A NO BRAINER.
If it was that easy to kill a limit of ducks every time out then we wouldn't have any left with all hunters running around trying to kill them.
The key word there is trying, If you do your scouting before you hunt its easy to kill limits every time. The key is to take a day and scout to put you on the X, that way you know the birds are there the only excuse you have is your poor shooting. I hunt ducks in grain fields so if the birds are there the day before I hunt they will be back to feed the next day. Thats why I think it easy to kill limits of ducks. We usually let 50 to 100 ducks land in our decoys before we start shooting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
neckcollar said:
[ I hunt ducks in grain fields so if the birds are there the day before I hunt they will be back to feed the next day. Thats why I think it easy to kill limits of ducks. We usually let 50 to 100 ducks land in our decoys before we start shooting
Most hunters here in Utah ARE NOT hunting in private grain fields, so It's not 2 easy for them to kill a limit all the time. You can't compare your suscess in hunting grain fields to most hunter's suscess hunting public land that has a lot of people hunting at the same time.

I'm sure most hunters that had access to the type of spots you have could kill their limits most of the time.

You never did mention how many arces was included for $6500; I only ask because I'm interested in what the going rate was per arce here in Utah. I do fine on public land, I'm not much interested in leasing here.

We commonly let 100 to 250 snows lite in our spreads back home in Arkansas, it doesn't make us better hunters, just smarter, ain't no decoy as good as a live one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt tell you the acres, because I dont know. The property isn't on big chunck, it is spread out over 5 or 6 fields. I will find out and let you know. I agree that most people hunt public land, but thats there own choice. All the ducks I hunt are just fields I drove around and found the ducks going into, knocked on a few doors and got permission. I stay away from the crouds at the public land, and thats why I feel I can kill limits. The hardest part of hunting is gettin the permission
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
And Ive figured out that 90% of the time the guy talkin up the limiting out all the time and gettin all this permission is usually the guy that actually shoots a couple ducks all season...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CUT-EM said:
And Ive figured out that 90% of the time the guy talkin up the limiting out all the time and gettin all this permission is usually the guy that actually shoots a couple ducks all season...
It good to be in that 10%. If you did your scouting you could be there with me too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
CUT-EM said:
And Ive figured out that 90% of the time the guy talkin up the limiting out all the time and gettin all this permission is usually the guy that actually shoots a couple ducks all season...
I found that to be true also, most successful hunters don't let their egos get the best of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Yah neck I notice youre lookin for a goose guide now...go hunt all this private land and put in all this scouting and you shouldnt need a guide!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
CUT-EM said:
Yah neck I notice youre lookin for a goose guide now...go hunt all this private land and put in all this scouting and you shouldnt need a guide!
o-||
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
more thinking of becoming a guide. But since I have never been guided I want to experience it first and see what a good guide does to prepare for clients. But after talking to some guides I found out that its not worth the time and effort, and putting up with the a hole clients, they must have guide mojo and you cut. Although it doesn't look like mojo needs a guide. Nice tripple.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top