Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Is it open for everyone? I always thought there was no hunting allowed at Lee Kay, at least according to the signs. Well maybe I will head to Lee Kay with the kids. It might be a good choice for the regular opener too. I have had my eye on the big pond close to the dump for years now.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is just a heads up that much of the Lee Kay grounds will be closed to dog training on Saturday, 9/19/2015, due to a youth hunting event. There are notices up by the gates. They do not plan to use the West side of the grounds and expect to finish early afternoon.

Renee Pennington

Rights right

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't know, but it sounds like Utmuddguy is trying to stir a pot???
Considering your one of the chosen few who won't take your youth hunters to your private club so you'll be at Lee Kay that comment is to be expected what club do you belong to Rob? The Harrison? This is state land and the opportunity to hunt it should be open to all or be closed to all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may want to get your facts straight before you start pointing fingers.

This hunt was created BY the DWR. For kids that won a contest put on by the DWR. There are 4 kids involved. A few individuals were invited by the DWR to guide these kids with calling and decoys because they know what they are doing and can mentor these kids in a great way.

Hunting at a club was NEVER asked for. Any of us would be more than willing to take these kids out elsewhere and show them a great time, all while teaching them the right way to hunt waterfowl and to respect the resource.

Maybe if you were willing to step up and give back to the resource like the mentors do, you could be a part of such an event. Now quit stirring up trouble, and try to be a good example of what a true waterfowler is, and for the young kids that are the future of our sport...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

This hunt was created BY the DWR. For kids that won a contest put on by the DWR. There are 4 kids involved. A few individuals were invited by the DWR to guide these kids with calling and decoys because they know what they are doing and can mentor these kids in a great way.

Hunting at a club was NEVER asked for. Any of us would be more than willing to take these kids out elsewhere and show them a great time, all while teaching them the right way to hunt waterfowl and to respect the resource.

Maybe if you were willing to step up and give back to the resource like the mentors do, you could be a part of such an event. Now quit stirring up trouble, and try to be a good example of what a true waterfowler is, and for the young kids that are the future of our sport...[/quote

From the same "contest" I'll be taking a total of 5 kids but unlike you I volunteered and didn't have to be asked. Regardless of how they were selected everyone should have equal opportunity on public land.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alot of us do give back. but we dont feel like we need recognition for it or brag about it on social media or a local hunting forum..... just saying.

i personally think the mentor thing is a program that gets abused. some of these "unfortunate kids" have their own duck boats sitting in their garages at home. their parents just use this as an excuse for people to show them where their own personal honey holes are.... yes i am speaking from personal experience.
Yep got one going out Saturday asked if he could bring his own duck boat.
I couldn't agree more about the look at me attitude it's getting really old. None of these guys volunteered until the DWR made it easy for them rumor has it their even getting blinds built for them. When it was dragging a kid through the mud it was too much work but driving out to a blind behind a locked gate well that's not too bad so they are now volunteers and are deserving of your gratitude. I'll make sure I follow your example in the future.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I thought the original post was a pre-season joke and then find out it is NOT. I have some concerns. I at least hope the 4 kids that were "chosen" are in no way related to the mentors. Those kids should be taken to a private club or a WMA like the rest of the mentored youth. I don't know of any DWR contest, someone please fill me in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had to do it the old fashioned way. Volunteer to take a kid and his mentor out on public land hunt. And maybe get a thank you from the kid in the end.

So is it implied that since I was not asked but volunteered, I can't use decoys and calls properly and have no ethics?

Spry

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts

Maybe if you were willing to step up and give back to the resource like the mentors do, you could be a part of such an event. Now quit stirring up trouble, and try to be a good example of what a true waterfowler is, and for the young kids that are the future of our sport...
Please show us the advertisement or link to this "public contest" that these lucky kids won. That would put an end to the debate really quick don't you think?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Yep got one going out Saturday asked if he could bring his own duck boat.
I couldn't agree more about the look at me attitude it's getting really old. None of these guys volunteered until the DWR made it easy for them rumor has it their even getting blinds built for them. When it was dragging a kid through the mud it was too much work but driving out to a blind behind a locked gate well that's not too bad so they are now volunteers and are deserving of your gratitude. I'll make sure I follow your example in the future.
Are you serious. I mean that is just not right. If your dad or grandpa has a boat they should be taking you out and leaving the kids who don't have that opportunity to be mentored. I don't have a boat and neither does my son but I can assure you if I did I would be taking my grandson and another kid then taking another kid for the afternoon hunt, I wouldn't be putting my grandson like I did in the draw. And I danged sure would never go to someone elses honey hole they showed my grandson on a mentored hunt. I hope things go "right" for us this year and that I will have a boat next year.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
You dont NEED a boat go hunt ducks in Utah..... It's crazy how many opportunites people can have on foot. Infact, I dare say that hunting on foot will produce better shoots these days, especially when on a WMA
We've been hunting on foot on WMA's here for about 5 years now. I prefer hunting out of a boat since that's how I cut my teeth on duck hunting some 52 years ago.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I rest my case...
I see your point! One of the reasons I withdrew from being involved. Hunters, particularly Waterfowlers eat their own.... Can't be appreciative of one thing someone else does, wether big or small. Folks beat their chest and belittle like this is a scourge on our sport.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I see your point! One of the reasons I withdrew from being involved. Hunters, particularly Waterfowlers eat their own.... Can't be appreciative of one thing someone else does, wether big or small. Folks beat their chest and belittle like this is a scourge on our sport.
Agreed!! These guys are poor examples of how a mentor should act. It's about the kids who cares where or how you take a kid hunting, the important thing is to be a good example and teach them the the right way to do things..

1 - 20 of 104 Posts