Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am left eye dominant and right handed. I can shoot well right handed with either a bow or a gun. However I recently tried shooting my gun left handed and was suprised that I had better aim and better control of the gun. I have spent a lot of time training my right eye and have used diffrent tactics such as wearing a patch etc. So whats everyones opinion, is it better to train the eye and shoot right handed or shoot left handed.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I'm not sure which is better, but I am right handed at EVERYTHING. I'd have a hard time if I had to blow my nose with my left hand, but......I am left eye dominant. So I have shot a bow and a rifle left handed ever since the day I first shot a high powered rifle. Let's just say that a scope does nasty things when you are holding a gun right handed and leaning your head across and looking with your(my) left eye.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
All of my kids are that way for some reason. They all could close their right eye but not their left. I know that you should shoot with both eyes open but my kids kept trying to shoot right handed with their left eye looking down the barrel thus causing a weird looking aim and a posible broken nose as the gun pounds them accross the face. I told my boys when they were 8 years old that they couldn't shoot their new pelet guns until they could close their left eye. They would practice and practice until they could. I didn't want to get into left handed guns. They are good shots now although one plays pool left handed but every thing else right.

3 days ago as my daughter and I crested a hill to shoot her Antelope, I huridly put down her gun with the bipod set up in front of her. She tried to shoot as I was panicing that the buckie would turn and run. She finally said, "remember, I can't see out of that eye." She then moved the gun to the other side and my daughter who does everything right handed shot her buckie from the side that was most comfortable, her left. O-well, I tried.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I guess if you were to teach a new shooter it would be best to teach him/her to shoot according to their dominent eye. There are many advantages to this (able to keep both eyes open) and their are plenty of left handed rifles in production now days ( however I have not seen many left handed auto loading shotguns but there are plenty of break actions). But there have been many generations of shooters, me encluded, who learned to shoot right handed with left eye dominence who simply close their left eye to shoot. It still works and for me it is better than to try to learn to shoot left handed at this time in my life.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
You know, thinking about this, I thought about the advantages in baseball of a switch hitter. He can step up to either side of the plate, depending on the circumstances, and hit the ball right or left handed. It sounds like you have become profecient from both sides. In a hunting situation, I can think of several shots through the years, where it would have served me to be able to shoot left handed because of slopes, available rests, cover, etc.... That's a hellofa deal if you can do both.

·
Registered
897 Posts
GaryFish said:
You know, thinking about this, I thought about the advantages in baseball of a switch hitter. He can step up to either side of the plate, depending on the circumstances, and hit the ball right or left handed. It sounds like you have become profecient from both sides. In a hunting situation, I can think of several shots through the years, where it would have served me to be able to shoot left handed because of slopes, available rests, cover, etc.... That's a hellofa deal if you can do both.
Amen! There have been plenty of times it would have been an advantage for me to be able to shoot left handed. Unfortunately, I as as good at shooting left handed as switching hitting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never heard of the idea that your supposed to keep both eyes open while shooting. When I look through the spotting scope I typically close the left eye and wait tell the right eye focuses then open the left eye and I can see perfectly through the spotting scope but have never tried that while shooting. I should try that tonight with my air rifle and see how it feels. For some reason because of my left eye dominat I have become somewhat good at my left hand.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
GaryFish said:
Wouldn't you need to carry two bows in the hills in order to benefit from this 'advantage'? I wouldn't recommend attempting to shoot a right-handed compound left-handed.

PRO

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My wife had this problem until I saw her shoot. She had grown up shooting a few guns here and there and didn't like it because she could never hit anything. So she just assumed it wasn't a sport for her. The first time I went shooting with her I almost fell over laughing watching her try to get low enough to aim with her left eye (laughing at your wife while she is holding a gun is never a good idea). Anyway, after I told her what was wrong, she moved the gun to the left shoulder, we corrected her posture a little and now she shoots great.

My six year old seems to have the same problem, maybe the other two will be normal like me.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Wouldn't you need to carry two bows in the hills in order to benefit from this 'advantage'? I wouldn't recommend attempting to shoot a right-handed compound left-handed.
Just hold it upside down. Oh, and aim a little high. :D

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I shoot left handed, but I feel like an idiot trying to rack a left handed bolt, so all of my rifles are right handed.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Hurleyman- your post makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone in the world! Here's my deal:
I shoot guns left handed, and use my dominant left eye to aim.
I shoot a bow right handed, and LEARNED how to aim with my right eye.
For the life of me, I can't figure out how people shoot with both eyes open. For some reason it just doesn't make sense! Shotgun, maybe, but I can't see how they could shoot a bow or rifle with both eyes open. The problems i realized while learning to shoot my bow came when I was trying to really dial it in. For some reason I couldn't figure out why my shots were so skewed to one side. It took my friend's dad watching my every move to see that I was aiming with my left eye instead of my right. After he noticed it and we put my rest and pins back where they were supposed to be, and started aiming with my right eye, everything came together. Fortunately i can use both eyes because if it came down to switching sides to shoot from, i'd never be able to do it because it is so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
fatbass said:
Treehugnhuntr said:
I shoot left handed, but I feel like an idiot trying to rack a left handed bolt, so all of my rifles are right handed.
Sounds like one symptom of a much greater affliction. *\-\*
You're tellin me! :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.