Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about this time of year that I start having nightmares about going on a hunting trip and leaving something very important at home.....

Last night I dreamt that I was hunting and killed an elk....I went to cut up the stupid thing and realized I had forgotten my knife...as dreams go, I ended up using my teeth...weird.

What are some actual things that you have actually forgotten on a hunting trip but wish you hadn't?

·
Registered
650 Posts
My daughter went on a loper hunt in Wyoming near Kemmerer with me and her brother, shot the loper and then found she had left the license/tag at home. We left the loper where it lay, drove to Evanston, got a replacement license, returned back, tagged and dragged the loper to the truck, butchered it, put it in the cooler and was on our way home by noon. Turned out to be an exciting morning.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My daughter went on a loper hunt in Wyoming near Kemmerer with me and her brother, shot the loper and then found she had left the license/tag at home. We left the loper where it lay, drove to Evanston, got a replacement license, returned back, tagged and dragged the loper to the truck, butchered it, put it in the cooler and was on our way home by noon. Turned out to be an exciting morning.
I dont think i would admit to that

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
It's about this time of year that I start having nightmares about going on a hunting trip and leaving something very important at home.....

Last night I dreamt that I was hunting and killed an elk....I went to cut up the stupid thing and realized I had forgotten my knife...as dreams go, I ended up using my teeth...weird.

What are some actual things that you have actually forgotten on a hunting trip but wish you hadn't?
Teeth?? that's not a dream,thats a nightmare:mrgreen:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't think I've ever left anything I've really needed at home, touch wood, but I've realized the what you leave at home when the game changes from scouting to hunting is peace of mind. When glassing and filming from afar, there's no pressure. When the hunt starts the game changes and the care free 'whatever happens' changes.

The care free knowing a bull or buck of a lifetime I've been filming is in the realm changes when the hunt starts. I've never found out how to make the transition gracefully yet. That ease and confidence of finding them again and sealing the deal is something I often leave at home when the hunt starts. Partly due to critters 'knowing' it's on and partly because I've never been that good at getting it done.

Stuff and things are just that. Being a hunter and killer when it counts is something I've never figured out how to bring with me. Too bad that's not something you can just pack in the truck to have at the ready when you need it. This year we'll see if we can't change things around a bit :)

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dont think i would admit to that
Technically not illegal, you just can't be found with the animal and not have the tag in your possession. They didn't, so no possibility of legal repercussions. They just took a long time packing the animal out.

It's weird how half your posts on this forum are criticism. Maybe you'd be happier if you thought about that for a while?

Edit: Half was a low estimate, took a quick look, seems like your whole purpose here is to make snide comments and write baseless criticism.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I had a late season cow tag two years ago and was in a rush in the early morning. Grabbed a box of bullets for my 30.06 out of the gun safe. Climbed up the mountain at 1st light and saw a herd of elk. Pulled out my box of shells to load my gun and get ready for the shot, only to realize that in my haste I had grabbed a box that had spent casings in it that I had not-so-intelligently placed back in a box identical to my un fired shells. Lesson learned; it helps a great deal to carry a gun AND ammunition when hunting. :shock:

Ended up that my dad ended up shooting one that day which was just just as cool for me. But I can't help but call myself an idiot for that series of mistakes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Broadheads. I once went out with only the dull practice points. Not much use in those is there?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Technically not illegal, you just can't be found with the animal and not have the tag in your possession. They didn't, so no possibility of legal repercussions. They just took a long time packing the animal out.

It's weird how half your posts on this forum are criticism. Maybe you'd be happier if you thought about that for a while?

Edit: Half was a low estimate, took a quick look, seems like your whole purpose here is to make snide comments and write baseless criticism.
shooting an animal without having the tag... isn't illegal, I think I would read the fine print again sir

·
Registered
191 Posts

Copied straight from Wyoming 2015 Antelope Hunting regulations.
LICENSE FRAUD PROHIBITED, INVALIDATION BY IMPROPER FEES.**Department licenses, permits,
stamps, tags or coupons shall not be altered by anyone other than authorized Department personnel.
No license, permit, stamp, tag or coupon shall be transferred or used for the purpose of taking wildlife except by the individual to whom it was issued and therein named and while in
that individual's possession

Thanks for trying though

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last year on the opening day of the rifle elk hunt I met my buddy and his son at their house at 4:00am, loaded all of my gear into their truck and we headed to the mountain. It is a two hour drive to our hunting spot, as we left the pavement and started up the dirt road one hour and forty five minutes into our drive my buddy stops the truck in the middle of the road and turns to his sixteen year old son in the back seat and says " did you grab the guns", nothing but silence from the back seat............ After offering to drop me at the trail head we turned the truck around and headed back to town. Four hours later we were back on the mountain and hunting (Guns in hand). It turned out to be one of the best general any bull opening days as I ended up killing my first general season bull.
They will never live it down........

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
When I was 18 or 19 went out with my dear dad.Well we got to the top of Meadow Creek(Meadow Utah)and he realized his gun was still home.Off we went anyway and I got a nice 3 point.Got him dressed and turned to my pa for some help getting him out.Well I guess dad decided to bring the bottle of old crow with him since he wasn't shooting.End of story drag the deer 100 feet,go back and get pa help him 100 feet..That was the last time old crow went hunting with us-O,-

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Registered
211 Posts
Once I forgot TP wife took it out of the dry goods box and put it in her car I didn't realize till I needed it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I forgot my boots once. I used to drive with regular sneakers or slippers because it was more comfortable/less hot on the feet. After forgetting my boots, now I just man up and drive with my boots on. In that instance, I got to where I had reception and called my wife; she brought my boots and met me half way.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Once I forgot TP wife took it out of the dry goods box and put it in her car I didn't realize till I needed it.
AH pine cones gotta love em.Twice Ive had to go that route,not the best for hygene:shock:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Skally,
nothing to hide. She just misplaced her license. Your quote is from the 2015 laws. This happened several years ago and may or may not have been the law back then. Regardless, the critter was taken with a valid license, tagged with a valid license and transported with a valid license. As was previously pointed out, the recovery was simply delayed about an hour or two. No new license was issued, just a copy of the original was purchased. Had she been "caught," she may have been sited for not having the license in her possession. She would have appeared in court and the case would have been dismissed after showing proof of having purchased a license prior to her taking the animal. The illegal part would have been to have moved the critter from the place of kill before legally tagging it. Had we abandoned it, she could've been sited for wasting game. As it turned out, all was on the up and up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
We have a tradition as we leave for camp... "do you have your license? do you have your weapon? Okay, everything else is extra."

I did forget my sleeping bag on the bow hunt last year... luckily my 8 year old had brought an extra blanket.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts