Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this one legal on the left in a spike only unit?

Stolen from RL on facebook.

·
Registered
565 Posts
From the guidebook,
"A "spike bull" means a bull elk which has at least one antler beam with no branching above the ears. Branched means a projection on an antler longer than one inch, measured from its base to its tip (R657-5- 2(2)(r)."

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the answer I dont worry at all, but thanks... I was just surprised at how many gave the wrong answer on an FB hunting page. Certainly not what you picture as one. Brings up the question as to why it is defined the way it is, possibly to weed out the whacky genes like the ones this guy has?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
My first year spike hunting on the muzzleloader hunt I passed on one just like that thinking it wasn't legal. Talked to a CO a few days later describing the bull and learned that I could have shot it no problem!

·
Registered
240 Posts
WOW! Just amazing that counts for a legal spike. Here in Washington you would be in trouble. They have what is called a true spike rule. No branching at all on either side!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The CO's I have talked to say that its written that way so that they don't have to write tickets to the many spike hunters who killed bulls with a one inch trash point coming off the base. The very small downside to the rule is a bull like that gets shot.
I think its a great rule and totally support it. I love that bulls that will never get shot on the LE hunt due to a goofy side, can be cleaned out by general season hunters.

·
Registered
839 Posts
i know the answer I dont worry at all, but thanks... I was just surprised at how many gave the wrong answer on an FB hunting page. Certainly not what you picture as one. Brings up the question as to why it is defined the way it is, possibly to weed out the whacky genes like the ones this guy has?
I think the rule is this way because brow times can be very hard to see, so you see a spike sticking up, blast it. Then walk up and it has more points... Thats my guess.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'd have to have some pretty good glass on that animal for awhile before I pulled the trigger. Things like that make me nervous. Definitely a legal spike but I probably wouldn't have known that and passed on that elk.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
From the guidebook,
"A "spike bull" means a bull elk which has at least one antler beam with no branching above the ears. Branched means a projection on an antler longer than one inch, measured from its base to its tip (R657-5- 2(2)(r)."
No that is not a spike because he does not have one antler beam with no branches above the ears. Not a legal spike.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It doesn't take long to find a hunter who will tell you that you shouldn't have shot this or that because of X or Y. It seems like the normal hunter progression has a branch that no one talks about, guys who never manage to limit out and rarely fill a tag and think the reason is that someone out there shot "their" animal due to a breach of some imagined ethics code. They're the coulda-woulda-shoulda sportsmen, stuck in a blame loop. (Have to say, I remember being in this funk myself and like to think I'm over it.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's one more question Sat I saw a bull that was missing its right side. Pretty sure it was broke because it looked like it still had G1 & G2 then broke above it so it wouldn't have branched above the ears. Is it legal if he is broken

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here's one more question Sat I saw a bull that was missing its right side. Pretty sure it was broke because it looked like it still had G1 & G2 then broke above it so it wouldn't have branched above the ears. Is it legal if he is broken
that's exactly the point I was trying to make with the picture of the bull with the broken side (couldn't find a pic of one like you saw online).

I would say Not legal; but I'm sure there is someone who will argue that it is...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts