Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turkey season is upon us and we need a thread for turkey hunt successes. So, lets see some of those birds! Post up some pics and success stories here. I'm looking forward to the general season!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hammered my bird at 10AM opening day... Ill try and get some pics up tonight...

I had to cross some deep snow and chase him down but it worked out. They had a hen with them so calling was pretty hard.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
749 Posts
Called this guy in at about 9 am yesterday. I have to say as a first time turkey hunter, that was an absolute blast!! I can't even believe the turkeys were responding to my very amateur calling. This guy actually came up behind me while I was calling to some birds down in some trees. We heard a gobble behind us that sounded pretty far away and he didn't make another noise until he was 30 yards away. I turned around real quick and make a couple quiet chirps with the mouth call and his head popped up from behind a fallen pine tree. It was all over. What a blast!! I sure am glad I decided to try the turkey hunt this year. My little brother still has a tag and I'm pumped to get out and try to get him one.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,352 Posts
Called this guy in at 11:30 yesterday.
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I took the liberty of rotating your cool picture.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
only two pictures? I'm still jealous!!

I took my daughter out Saturday morning. With the rain it made things difficult. We didn't hear a single gobble. We did get two hens to come out of the trees and start feeding in the meadow, but the gobblers never showed up. They must have been taking cover and waiting for blue skies...

Now we just need to find some time to go out again. Softball is going full-swing now, so evenings are hard to get out. I might have to lower my standards and take her to the valley and find a "farm" bird.
I feel like May is already here...

·
Registered
554 Posts
We examined his crop to see what he'd been eating since there was virtually no acorn crop last fall- which is important for Easterns.

Nothing but beech nuts - including some that were sprouting. So, that is one more consideration for next time out...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Got my first on Saturday with my dad, brothers, and some friends. Called another Tom into 15 or so yards, unfortunately he was in the one spot I couldn't get my nephew or BIL a shot, due to a tree. Pretty cool to watch him strut and gobble at that range. Called 2 hens in to about 3 yards. It was an awesome day in the blind. This Tom was with 8 hens and tried to skirt around us as it was a complete down pour. Jumped out of the blind ran ahead of them and caught him as he cleared a tree. Big fan of this turkey hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My Wife and youngest daughter both shot their first turkeys Saturday night. One of, if not, the very best day hunting I have ever had! To share the experience of calling in birds for them and watching them experience wildlife up close and personal was awesome! The bird my daughter shot came in to just a few steps and she showed massive patience to wait for it to present a great shot before she pulled the trigger. I was beaming with pride!

Congrats to each of you and good luck to those still hunting!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
where are you guys finding good weather to hunt in???

with all this rain, I'm afraid this weekend's hunting is going to be another bust.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts