Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is a little slow I thought this might be fun. Here are my 2 high school cars. The first one isn't my actual pic but it is what it looked like, I will try to find a good pic to scan. 1955 Studebaker Commander Regal Coupe 259.2 V8 with 3 speed shift on the column top end about 135 mph. I modified it to a floor shift.

Second car was a 1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee 383 magnum fastest I had it was 140 mph, it would start to float at that speed. Also a poor pic, was an old polaroid that is starting to crack, in the background over the hood is my 1972 Yamaha 250 enduro and the windshield of the Studebaker.

1955 Studebaker Commander.jpg
High school car.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
I don't think that they had cameras back in those days.

But here is a pretty good picture of mine. A 1942 Ford Jeep. It wasn't the good old olive drab color but a turquoise bluegreen.

It had the canvas top and a single windshield wiper that was powered by your hand and wrist. Flat head 4 cylinder 134 ci engine. That thing would go anywhere..

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
My dream goal is to find a decent MB or GWP and restore it. There was one a few years ago on ebay, 12k original miles, stored in a barn for +40 years. No rust anywhere on it, original paint and numbering. It sold for 12k ... really should have got that one, it would have saved 8k in body work and parts. Really just needed new seats, top and wiring (rodents chewed all that up).

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have some great pics of rides I had in "the day". You would have to ask my first X where she burned all my pics to see them. I still cringe to this day when I see her when I visit the kids and grandkids. She just has to show up and wreck my day.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
My dream goal is to find a decent MB or GWP and restore it. There was one a few years ago on ebay, 12k original miles, stored in a barn for +40 years. No rust anywhere on it, original paint and numbering. It sold for 12k ... really should have got that one, it would have saved 8k in body work and parts. Really just needed new seats, top and wiring (rodents chewed all that up).

-DallanC
About a week after I sold mine I was having regrets. That along with my 1976 Harley.....

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
My buddy and I rebuilt the motor in a 1959 Ford panel wagon to use as a camper van while in high school. Used that truck to spend many a night in the outback camping and climbing.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Dad wouldn't let me have a car in high school.
So I drove his old '64 chevy 3/4 ton pick up.
Not a chick magnet to say the least. But for dates he let me take his '71 LTD. It was nice ride. Front seat was as big as a living room.........
My first car was a '68 Firebird. I stuffed a 400 motor in it and had a blast. I had it up to 145 one night and it started to "float" as bowgy described. Spooked me a bit.
Then I had a '72 Monte Carlo custom with a 325 horse 350 with factory tack and all the extras that I built to the nuts. (425 horse). It was quite a sleeper. Had several other hot rods I built as I got older.
66 427 Vette.
70 Challenger 383 mag.
Still have my '68 Road Runner.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,314 Posts
As a high school junior in 1968 I had a 1956 Plymouth Savoy station wagon.....yellow and charcoal gray, and chrome, lots of chrome.

A senior in 1969 I had a red 1965 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe.

No pictures of either of those cars dangit.

About 14 years ago I bought a red 1965 Impala like the one I had in high school......uh....the car's not the chick magnet it was in 1969.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts

Mine was a 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4 (almost identical to the pic above, but mine had an extended cab). It was the perfect teenage vehicle for me - not much of a chick magnet. However, it did attract one chick, we were married six years after our first date and will celebrate 11 years of marriage this month. So I can thank that old truck for attracting “the one.”

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
When I got married I had a 77 Chevrolet pick up that I special ordered when I was 20 years old. Waited 7 weeks for it to come in to the dealer. Dad wouldn't sign for it.
He was really, really pisssed when I found someone who would.
400 motor, dual tanks, beer window, automatic, cruise control (rare on a truck then) , rally rims. The whole 9 yards. Was a great truck. Ended up keeping it 26 years. Still regret letting my wife talk me into selling it. I had put away factory bumpers, grill, dash, etc. Was always going to rebuilt it and use it to haul my Road Runner to car shows. Oh well, I guess life happens !! At least I kept the car.
So, if anybody needs late 70's truck stuff.....call me and we can negotiate prices.

·
Administrator
7,869 Posts
Some cool cars / trucks here guys.

I’d post mine up but it doesn’t hold a candle to these rides.

I always say that when I finally decide to spend the money on my midlife-crisis car, it’ll be a classic car and not a new sports car. Why? Because memories are attached to them. People love to reminisce about when they had that car and it evokes emotion vs a new car that generally brings out two questions about price and how fast it goes.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
Some cool cars / trucks here guys.

I’d post mine up but it doesn’t hold a candle to these rides.

I always say that when I finally decide to spend the money on my midlife-crisis car, it’ll be a classic car and not a new sports car. Why? Because memories are attached to them. People love to reminisce about when they had that car and it evokes emotion vs a new car that generally brings out two questions about price and how fast it goes.
My girlfriend in high school drove a 69 Dodge Charger with a 440 Magnum and a 4 speed in it. Her brother handed her the keys for it when he left for Vietnam. I fell in love with that car almost as far as I did with the girl. Ever since then I have always wanted one but other thing have always gotten in the way, but I keep dreaming.

·
Administrator
7,869 Posts
My girlfriend in high school drove a 69 Dodge Charger with a 440 Magnum and a 4 speed in it. Her brother handed her the keys for it when he left for Vietnam. I fell in love with that car almost as far as I did with the girl. Ever since then I have always wanted one but other thing have always gotten in the way, but I keep dreaming.
Beautiful example Critter!!!

This is why cars like this are so much cooler and more valuable. You can’t put a price tag on that memory! 😎

1 - 20 of 46 Posts