Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Funny about cars being a chic magnet, my girlfriend wasn't impressed with the 55 Studebaker but all of her friends loved it, they called it the Batmobile.

I still have the girl and the Studebaker, it is my retirement restoration project.

Talk about memories, I will date myself now, my dad bought that Studebaker brand new 2 months before I was born.

Reactions: Bax* and 2full

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Love the pics and the stories, keep them coming.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I loved seeing this car drive through our neighborhood!
It's still there on the side of my mom's house, in terrible condition! I ought to start a GoFundMe campaign. People give to dumber things than that. That thing is a legend. 4 kids all passed it down as our first car. By the time it got to me my dad had put a 327 from a 68 Camaro he pulled out of a truck he traded for. It always had a little pep, but that sped it up quite a bit, resulting in a ticket 3 days after getting my driver license. Officer's first words to me when he came to the window: "What does this thing have in it?!?"

·
Administrator
7,870 Posts
My car wasn’t nearly as cool as the cars and trucks I’ve seen in here.

I had a 1993 Honda Civic Del Sol (non VTEC) that I put a turbo on and had sheepskin seat covers on.

This was at the time the Fast and the Furious and Gone in 60 Seconds were big in the theaters and Japanese cars were the cool thing to have with their weed-eater mufflers and deafening stereos with so much bass that it’d rattle you to the core.

Having a hard top convertible made me feel like a king. I loved driving up the canyons late at night to feel the cool air on my face and listen to the Doobie Brothers or cruise State Street (this was when it was first outlawed).

I picked up a lot of girls in this car and loved when girls would fight to ride with me when doing stuff as a group.

EDM / techno seemed to really own our lives for a while so I installed black lights in the car to light up my white K-Swiss shoes all while watching dolphins swim on my Pioneer deck (with detachable faceplate of course).

I remember fishing under my seats to find my CD wallets and regularly landing in the Doors, Styx, Yes, AC/DC, Peter Frampton, Journey, Metallica, and the Forest Gump soundtrack and being teased for listening to old music.

I had headlight covers to make them look black that dimmed my headlights waaaaay too much to safely drive at night, but I didn’t care. It looked cool to me.

Now that I’m older, I see these cars here and there and I don’t know why I thought it was so cool at the time. But man, I loved this car as a kid.

EDIT: My first car was actually a 1987 Toyota Celica GTS that I bought from a friend. The trunk had been burned out and the sunroof leaked (every time it snowed or rained, water would dump down my neck when I turned a corner. I paid $1100 for the car and traded my CB radio from Radio Shack to the kid who sold it to me. A few months after buying it, 2nd gear went out on the car so I had to skip 2nd or pull really hard to keep it from grinding. Finally I decided I wanted the Del Sol so I sold this car to a kid that I worked with for $1300 and never looked back. (he knew the transmission was bad, but he loved the car for some reason)

I have been a youth leader and scout master as an adult and I find it interesting to see how many kids dont care about having a drivers license . They dont want to pay for fuel, insurance, or other upkeep and are content bumming a ride or taking public transportation. It baffles me. Having a drivers license was the equivalent of freedom.

Speaking of freedom as a kid: I remember buying gas for less than $1 per gallon. I know many of you have memories of it being much less, but dang those days were great! My buddy and I would go for drives all day and burn less than $20 in fuel....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Ha! Gas at a buck. When I got my license it was $0.25. Of course when you only made $1.75 per hour it still wasn't easy to come up with enough to cruise "the vard".

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I remember my Dad telling me when I bought my new '77 pick up :
At 45 cents a gallon, you never be able to afford to drive that truck. :oops:

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
I remember my Dad telling me when I bought my new '77 pick up :
At 45 cents a gallon, you never be able to afford to drive that truck. :oops:
Ha! I had "Full Time" 4WD, which really meant AWD. I got a whopping 7 MPG. I bought a cheap "part time 4wd" kit from JC Whitney and modified my transfer case. Afterwards I got an amazing 13-14 MPG! Yahoooooooo!!!!

One time we were out 4Wheeling with friends, it had been raining for a week and everything was soft and soupy. We took a trail that went out and around some huge wheat fields (where micron is now)... well it was so muddy I just kept the petal mashed and we had rooster tails of mud off all 4 tires sliding around. At one point the road was a bit off camber and we slid off into the plowed fields. I knew if we stopped we'd not be able to get out for a month, until it all dried out. I kept it pegged, speedo was reading between 40 and 60mph... full steam. The truck was moving around 7-10 mph... but at times we'd hit a really boggy part and it would slow down to less than 1mph... but slowly it would crawl along. We got out... and really didnt tear up the field all that much (silt from the rain probably killed more grain).

What I found hilarious, is I'd had a full tank of gas at the start... and was on empty when we came out the bottom. Full tank of gas to go 3 miles. 5ish gallons per mile. 😱

Truck looked amazing with all the mud on it. I let it dry and drove it around for a week thinking it was cool. Later, when i had to wash it, I parked it in front of the house, ran a hose out to it and put a sprinkler on the roof and let that run for a couple hours. LOL

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Ha! I had "Full Time" 4WD, which really meant AWD. I got a whopping 7 MPG. I bought a cheap "part time 4wd" kit from JC Whitney and modified my transfer case. Afterwards I got an amazing 13-14 MPG! Yahoooooooo!!!!

One time we were out 4Wheeling with friends, it had been raining for a week and everything was soft and soupy. We took a trail that went out and around some huge wheat fields (where micron is now)... well it was so muddy I just kept the petal mashed and we had rooster tails of mud off all 4 tires sliding around. At one point the road was a bit off camber and we slid off into the plowed fields. I knew if we stopped we'd not be able to get out for a month, until it all dried out. I kept it pegged, speedo was reading between 40 and 60mph... full steam. The truck was moving around 7-10 mph... but at times we'd hit a really boggy part and it would slow down to less than 1mph... but slowly it would crawl along. We got out... and really didnt tear up the field all that much (silt from the rain probably killed more grain).

What I found hilarious, is I'd had a full tank of gas at the start... and was on empty when we came out the bottom. Full tank of gas to go 3 miles. 5ish gallons per mile. 😱

Truck looked amazing with all the mud on it. I let it dry and drove it around for a week thinking it was cool. Later, when i had to wash it, I parked it in front of the house, ran a hose out to it and put a sprinkler on the roof and let that run for a couple hours. LOL

-DallanC
You were the type of person that always called me a 3am to get my Jeep and come pull them out.

I had one guy during the deer hunt in 69 that was stuck up on the Squaw Peak Loop road. It took me a couple of hours just to get to him before we even started to work on getting him unstuck.

If anyone remembers that deer hunt in 1969 a big and I mean a big storm blew in and dumped feet of snow on the opening day. My cousin picked up a brand new 69 Ford Highboy when the owner got it stuck and couldn't move. If I remember right my cousin paid about $1500 for that truck, he went back in to where it was stuck with a D4 crawler to pull it out to the pavement.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have been rescued a few times........but I have rescued others a lot of times.
Some of our best hunting gang memories are the times of getting each other out.
The 400 motor I had in my 77 got better gas mileage and ran circles around the trucks that had the 350.
It would get 15 on the highway and 10 it 12
mpg in town.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I wish I had a pic of my first car. My dad would not allow us to have a car in high school. He new better lol. So the summer between my junior & senior year I was working two jobs. My boss had a 2 door 64 Chevy Impala SS with a hoped up 327. On a Saturday night after a Jethro Tull concert I bought the car from him for $800. The concert was better than the car. He lived in north Ogden. It took 3/4 of a tank of gas to get it home to Centerville. I idled it into the driveway as quietly as I could. Sunday morning dad hollers up the stairs. Who in the hells car is that in the driveway? In a slumber I replied mine. He says what do you mean YOURS. I said I bought it last night. He mumbled JC under his breath & went back to his coffee. He wasn't pleased. But I'd paid cash for it & it was in his driveway lol. He finally warmed up to it and said you'll be underneath it more than you'll be in it! He was right. I never could get it to pass inspection lol. But I just had to sneak around in it anyways. I liked to open it up on the frontage road between Centerville & Farmington. It would get that floating feeling around 90 mph. I had fun working on it and waisted money on it like he said. But never really got to use it much. I later sold it for $500 and lost about $600 on the car. Lesson learned on my part. But I got one over on the old man by buying it. So guess it made me the winner? Lol

Later that year I bought a motor cycle. Thats a whole another story.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Who remembers Lark sand dunes?
That place was awesome. I grew up in West Jordan off of 2700 Wand 6800 S. My brother and I, and all our friends, could only afford basket case motorcycles that we would put together with whatever parts we could find.
Back then there were enough canal roads, open fields, and railroad tracks we would rush home after school and sneak our bikes along all these places to avoid the cops to make it to Lark.
We would ride long enough to barely have any gas left to make it home just as the sun was going down because we all road motocross bikes with no headlights.

·
Registered
184 Posts
1975 AMC pacer just like the one in the pic (photo is a stock photo as I don’t have an actual photo I can find). Also known as the fishbowl. My great grandma died and left her car to my grandpa in about 1993 or 1994. When he got her car it had 34,000 miles. When he went to pick it up to drive it home he failed to check the fluids and overheated it and blew a head gasket. He was still 2 hours from home so we got it towed to our house where my dad got it to a mechanic to get it fixed. Once repaired, I got to drive it around as a senior in high school. Certainly weren’t many that had a car like this when is was in school. The curved windows on the back were awesome.

·
750 Posts
1972 SS Chevelle. Me and my dad put this car back together in our driveway. Bought it for 100.00 and it was completely taken apart. no engine, no seats the rear end was in the back seat and the gears were in a 5 gal bucket. I was 17 in 1984. My brothers had Camaros and GTOs. those were the good days.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Okay, this might make a few people laugh but I'm fine with that...

93' Eagle Summit

I couldn't afford a car until my last year but it got me through my senior year, college and several years exploring the southern utah desert. I'm into enough decades to be proud enough to say I wasn't chasing tail in high school and a car doesn't define anyone. But **** that couple thousand dollars went a long way in making realize I needed to live in Utah. It deserved a better death than 3 lost tires on HITR and thumping down the final grades to Denver on I-70 as I coasted back home before I moved farther west. Living in it while I got to know GSENM is a large part of where I am now.

Utah did teach me the benefit of small trucks real quick as I upgraded to a 4 banger Yota. That was back when you could nab one cheap yet plenty functional 4wd for exploring the SW. I miss that truck. Now I can't justify the reverse mortgage to afford any Toyota 4wd trucks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sooooo you guys motivated me. I went and got the car up to my mechanic on Tuesday. We put in a new master cylinder for the brakes and new front shocks. Had to wait a couple of days for the parts to get here. (You just don't go down to Auto Zone and get parts for a 68 Road Runner anymore).
I got it home last night. This afternoon I washed and shined her up and went for a cruise. Ran great.
I forget how much fun the old muscle cars are to drive. :cool:
My 15 year old grandson wanted to go for a ride.
As we were coming back to the house he asked me if it would spin the tires.......:whistle:
So I stopped on a quiet side street......and did a full burn out. Should have seen the look on his face.
I'm probably teaching him things I am not supposed to ??

21 - 40 of 46 Posts