Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become somewhat obsessed the last few months abpout getting a longbow. When ever I see a photo of one or see soembody shoot one in a hunting show on TV I think wow that's pretty cool. I have shoot a traditional recurve off and on for a few years. I got one with way too much poundage though, 66 lbs, and it is hard too shoot. That is why I probley don't shoot it as much as I should. If I get a longbow it will be in the 50-55lb range. Been looking at a Bear Montana Longbow that I am seriusly considering buying at the first of the year. Lets hear it from you guys that shoot longbows. Why do you like them and what hunting sucsess have you had from them?

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
MarkM, I assume you saw my response to your post on the recurve thread. I can't speak from much experience, the only longbow I own is the one I got from 7 Lakes Longbows (I don't think I'll be letting EPEK work on it anytime soon). I also own a recurve (Hoyt Huntmaster) and a compound. I've only had the longbow for a two years and I didn't shoot it much this year because I drew a LE muzzy elk tag. Since the muzzy hunt ended I have started shooting again. I really enjoy shooting it. It's light, smooth and just plain fun. The only thing I've managed to kill so far has been pot-guts (ground squirrels). I'm planning on hunting elk and deer with it next year.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mark,

My experience with longbows are that you love them or you hate them. Shoot a bunch then decide for your self. Most trad shooters are more than willing to let you shoot their bow. The last few days of February / the First 2 days of March there is a Traditional bow expo along with the sportsmans show at the fair grounds in Boise. You might want to think about attending.

There are two longbows in my family that I love from the same bowyer (Allen Boice of Liberty Bows (out of Goldbeach Oregon)).

One is a 66" English style longbow 57# @ 28" RH, it is very smooth shooting.

Then other my daughter shoots is 66" Contender - a slight reflex deflex style longbow 52# @ 28" LH, it is also very smooth shooting.

PM me and we can make arrangements for you to shoot either of them if you would like. And I can get you contact information for Allen.

Good luck,

* I forgot to add in that it has been killer on small game. Big game it has been lethal as well. I took an elk last year with it at very close range. This year the 66" limbs made it difficult to maneuver when it was time to shoot (you will have to deal with that VS a 30+/- " compound. Heck, I figure it is all part of setting personal limits. I have to say it is as fun as fun can be.

During family outings we all take our bows and stump shoot, clout shoot, shoot at areial (sp) targets, and enjoy ourselves. We love our gear.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I've never been much of a longbow man, but my buddy AP has about 50 of them. _(O)_
He swears by the Robertson Stykbow.

I own a longbow made by Mike Bird down in Sringville. Shoots great, has zero hand shock, and is really fast. It's 50# at my draw length (27") if you wanna come over and shoot it sometime that would be fine. I'm in Kaysville. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts