Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested, please email the following letter to your RAC and to the wildlife board.

To whom it may concern,

It has come to my attention recently that there has been opposition to the DWR's recommendation to increase mule deer buck tags by about 4,000 across a number of general season units. As a concerned sportsman I am writing to indicate my support of the division's recommendations for increased tags.

The data provided by the division of wildlife resources indicates that the recommendation to increase tags is warranted by both growth of the statewide deer herd and more importantly by buck:doe ratios. It is anticipated that the deer numbers in Utah have grown to over 400,000. It is also documented that the 3 year average for buck:doe ratios on all units that received a recommendation for more tags are at the top end of objective and in many cases well above objective.

If the recommended increases are adopted, total deer tags will still fall below the 94,450 tags issued in 2011 prior to micro unit management was implemented statewide for general deer units. This management tool was presented as a way to better manage deer herds across the state. If we refuse to pull the levers that were provided as a management tool then the whole plan is nothing more than a sham to create more limited entry units across the state and further limit access and opportunity to hunt mule deer in Utah.

The form letter that was mass mailed by Ryan Hatch of MuleyCrazy Magazine is selfish and serves to protect his business of filming and guiding large mule deer bucks for his clients and promoting his personal brand above the management objectives for mule deer. There are a number of limited entry units available for him to continue to promote his business efforts on both in and outside of Utah. There are currently mature bucks being taken every year on every general season unit. There is no justifiable reason to not pass the current recommendation provided by the DWR. In fact, not passing those recommendations would be a contradiction to the very tools that have been provided to manage general deer herds.

Again I ask that you follow the guidelines provided for the management of mule deer herds in Utah and approve the recommendations set forth by the division of wildlife resources.

Regards,

Jeff Rasband

You can find the info for your RAC and the wildlife board below...

board members http://wildlife.utah.gov/board-members.html
RAC members http://wildlife.utah.gov/rac-members.html

·
Registered
501 Posts
I sent an email as well. If anyone is interested in saving a little time copying and pasting email address from Dahlmer links on the DWR site, I've compiled and pasted them below. I think it's important that the board and RAC hears from everyone who can spare a few minute to voice their views in an email, if not at the RAC meetings.

Email list:
[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎[email protected]; ‎

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
email sent.

5 replies
1 phone call

All in 10 minutes!!
So far, I'm hearing support from those individuals that reached back to me. However, I'm also hearing that they are getting more messages from the "reduce tags" group. They know that the "increase tag" crowd most likely does not represent the majority of the hunting public in Utah -- but they are certainly making the most noise.

If you support a tag increase, then you really, really, really should reach out to the WB and RAC members to let them know it!

·
Registered
501 Posts
email sent.

3 replies
1 phone call

All in 10 minutes!!
So far, I'm hearing support from those individuals that reached back to me. However, I'm also hearing that they are getting more messages from the "reduce tags" group. They know that the "increase tag" crowd most likely does not represent the majority of the hunting public in Utah -- but they are certainly making the most noise.

If you support a tag increase, then you really, really, really should reach out to the WB and RAC members to let them know it!
Totally agree with this. I've received 7 replies so far. Most were just a simple "thanks for your input." Only 1 detailed response where he mentioned the overwhelming majority have been from those asking to not increase tags. A few stated that I should attend my RAC and express my views there.

If you support a tag increase, your voice needs to be heard. Otherwise, your whisper will be drowned out by the vocal minority who don't represent your views.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Thanks for this. Copied, personalized, and sent! Thanks for the email list too, Nock.

Having two procedures the night of our Southern RAC.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Things to point out to the RAC in support of tag increase besides the obvious reasons involving the increase in overall herd numbers (280k up to 400k in last 20 years) and most units are in the high end or above b/d ratios:

1. Excessive bucks negatively impact fawn recruitment and consume winter habitat that could better serve does and fawns, the foundation of herd growth. Future herd growth depends on doe/fawn survival, excess bucks will increase the winter kill and prolong rebound when the next bad winter hits.

2. Most hunters would prefer 3 seasons to attempt harvesting a mature buck than 1 season every 3 years for a better chance at harvesting a mature buck.

3. Family oriented hunts are deteriorating and the tradition of hunting is being replaced by special interests that have no biological basis and a trophy hunting mindset. Keeping tag #'s low is a hunter satisfaction issue of the minority, it has nothing to do with biological or long-term management goals.

4. Increasing primitive weapon allocations and therefore overall tag numbers is a means of increasing opportunity. So tags can be increased and through lower success rates, the wishes of the trophy hunting minority can be maintained through increased quality.

Am I missing any?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
email sent.

5 replies
1 phone call

All in 10 minutes!!
Sent mine out at lunch today, and I've heard back from 3...

I'll bet they're hearing from quite a few people.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Things to point out to the RAC in support of tag increase besides the obvious reasons involving the increase in overall herd numbers (280k up to 400k in last 20 years) and most units are in the high end or above b/d ratios:

1. Excessive bucks negatively impact fawn recruitment and consume winter habitat that could better serve does and fawns, the foundation of herd growth. Future herd growth depends on doe/fawn survival, excess bucks will increase the winter kill and prolong rebound when the next bad winter hits.

2. Most hunters would prefer 3 seasons to attempt harvesting a mature buck than 1 season every 3 years for a better chance at harvesting a mature buck.

3. Family oriented hunts are deteriorating and the tradition of hunting is being replaced by special interests that have no biological basis and a trophy hunting mindset. Keeping tag #'s low is a hunter satisfaction issue of the minority, it has nothing to do with biological or long-term management goals.

4. Increasing primitive weapon allocations and therefore overall tag numbers is a means of increasing opportunity. So tags can be increased and through lower success rates, the wishes of the trophy hunting minority can be maintained through increased quality.

Am I missing any?
How about:

5. The Mule Deer Committee, consisting of at least 6 biologists (DWR, BYU, USU, NFS, BLM), 5 RAC members, 2 current Wildlife Board members, 4 conservation organization leaders (MDF, SFW, UBA, UWC), along with reps from the Utah Farm Bureau, CWMU Committee, Utah Legislature and Public-at-Large, spent 42 hours in official meetings plus some individual hours completing assignments to come up with the 5 year plan. And they discussed and drafted solutions to all of the issues now being touted as reasons not to support the permit increases. And in the end, with their signatures, all Deer Committee members supported the plan as drafted. It seems foolish to thwart those efforts for the sake of trying to please a few hundred buck deer trophy hunters who want to have an easier hunt.

6. With the current buck to doe ratios, the plan already contains the biological buffer numbers that the opponents of the increased permits site as a problem. Those ratios are already 3 to 4 times the numbers biologically needed to impregnate all the does and any hard winter or drought won't make a difference in that aspect.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
How about:

5. The Mule Deer Committee, consisting of at least 6 biologists (DWR, BYU, USU, NFS, BLM), 5 RAC members, 2 current Wildlife Board members, 4 conservation organization leaders (MDF, SFW, UBA, UWC), along with reps from the Utah Farm Bureau, CWMU Committee, Utah Legislature and Public-at-Large, spent 42 hours in official meetings plus some individual hours completing assignments to come up with the 5 year plan. And they discussed and drafted solutions to all of the issues now being touted as reasons not to support the permit increases. And in the end, all Deer Committee members supported the plan as drafted with their signature. It seems foolish to thwart those efforts for the sake of trying to please a few hundred buck deer trophy hunters who want to have an easier hunt.

6. With the current buck to doe ratios, the plan already contains the biological buffer numbers that the opponents of the increased permits site as a problem. Those ratios are already 3 to 4 times the numbers biologically needed to impregnate all the does and any hard winter or drought won't make a difference in the aspect.
Lee, I completely agree with you.
BUT........

Next year when the "new" 5 year plan is discussed. Be prepared to see a big push for higher buck/doe ratio's on many sub-units.
In some of the units with high amounts of private land, that might not be so bad, rather than pushing more and more hunters onto the small areas of public land.
What needs to be addressed is that no less than 30% of the sub-units be set aside of opportunity hunting(15-17/100 ratio units). I believe there will be a push to up many of the 18-20/100 units to possibly 20-22/100 and the 15-17/100 units up to 18-20/100.
You guys that are against these increases need to be talking about it now and letting the RAC and WB know how you feel about it NOW!!!
Otherwise next year you/we will be behind the 8 ball and many of the people in charge will already have made up their minds.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Sent my letters out this evening. Thanks to Dahlmer and Nock for putting this out there.

On a completely different note, if the website is correct, this is post 999 for me. There's got to be some sort of prize or recognition for post 1,000...right?? I'd take a vacation day, or a small monetary "gift"...really anything. I'm not expecting it...but...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts