Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to narrow down lightweight tents that i want to buy. Right now I like the Eureka Spitfire 1 due to the lightness and size. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or reviews with this tent or any other lightweights that you have tried.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a lightweight 1 man for myself and a Mountain Hardwear 2.5 man if I'm going to be with someone else. Backpacking tents don't seem to truly be made to fit the number of people advertised....unless you like waking up spooning your buddy in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Another Big Agnes fan...just bought a Rattlesnake SL 3 man (for 2 guys) and already have a 2 man (1 guy) Seedhouse SL. The Rattlesnake was half the weight of my old MSR Mutha Hubba.

One thing to consider when you get to the "ultra light" series of tents is durability. I was going to get the Copper Spur 3, but went with the Rattlesnake. The material used on some of the ultra light tents get so thin (fragile) that I was concerned it would tear too easy.

I'm interested in a getting a tarp/teepee type setup with a packable titanium stove for late summer/early fall backpack hunt trips. Lonetree....your in this biz are you not http://www.rutalocura.com/products.html?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
gdog, email me, I don't do business on the forums. Except BPL, but thats just to piss off the moderator.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can't afford a Hilleberg, so I opted for the Wilderness Technology tent from recreation outlet & love it!
I got the 2 man & it weight 4lbs & some change

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seek outside and Kifaru are also a couple to consider. I tried the floorless route and while it would really shine late season with a TI stove, it was just to much for me with the bugs. I ended up going with a stratospire 2 from tarptent and so far I am really liking it. It will definitely sleep 2 plus gear and going solo its a palace.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Buy the smallest/lightest tent you can comfortably get dressed in and have room for your pack/gear.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Seek outside and Kifaru are also a couple to consider. I tried the floorless route and while it would really shine late season with a TI stove, it was just to much for me with the bugs. I ended up going with a stratospire 2 from tarptent and so far I am really liking it. It will definitely sleep 2 plus gear and going solo its a palace.
WRT Seek Outside and Kifaru: http://titaniumgoat.com/products.html

Better tents(The first carbon fiber poles, and a truly conical design), better stoves(the original titanium take down stoves and pipes), and better prices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
WRT Seek Outside and Kifaru: http://titaniumgoat.com/products.html

Better tents(The first carbon fiber poles, and a truly conical design), better stoves(the original titanium take down stoves and pipes), and better prices.
Better tents? I would say that is a pretty subjective statement. I dont own a Kifaru shelter but I know they make solid gear, as the few pieces I do own from them are a testament to that.

Better Stoves? Again I don't know, but I have always liked your cylinder stove but have never owned a Kifaru stove either.

Better prices? yes, I will agree to that. But then again quality gear is never cheap or it wouldn't be quality.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Pat Smith makes tough, well constructed back packs, that's what he knows. That's what Kifaru and Mountain Smith were built on.

Kifaru does not know metal, or even how a stove works. Pat said for years it was too hard to build a stove out of titanium. :mrgreen: Best advertising some folks never had to pay for.

As for prices, its about how you build it that makes the difference there. SO and K tents have 2-3 times more seams in them, which is 2-3 times more places for the tent to leak, and fail. And it requires 2-3 times more cutting and sewing, which is where the increased cost is. Both SO and K tents are notorious for peak failures, because of the way all those seams meet in the top of the tent.

Disclaimer: I was an original founder of Titanium Goat. I've been in the industry for over a decade. I know gear, I design and build it for a living, both for myself, and for several other companies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts