Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 20 Practical has been our go to caliber about the last 5 years. We built 4 rifles off the Savage Mod. 12 FV action. Super accurate, free brass and the powder charges are about 2 grains lighter then the .204's. I spent the last week or so loading the brass I shot last year. When it was all done I loaded 1367 rounds. I did the brass prep several months ago and all I did this last week was drop the powder and seat the projectiles. Almost 5 lbs. of a very hard to find powder , 1367 Winchester Small Rifle Primers and 1367 Hornady Vmax 20 Caliber Projectiles. I started thinking about the cost if I had purchased all that stuff at todays prices, holy crap that's some $$$$$$$. They all went into some sealed ammo cans and will probably be shot in 2023. Have a great winter guys. I almost forgot , what are all you Varmint Shooters loading ???

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my savage 204. It's my favorite rifle. Never shot a 20 practical. Don't think I've seen one either.
Its a wildcat using the .223/.556 brass necked down to the .204. Same ballistics as the .204. We use Savage 12 FV actions and a Shilen Select Match grade barrel. Super fast and very accurate. Do a Google search and plug in 20 Practical.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
20 Practical is a great round. Mine are X-Caliber barrels on a Remington action. I use the 32 gr Sierra in mine.
Just built a 204 on a Savage Target action also. Built a 17 Fireball on a Savage 12 FV and getting ready to build a 17 Remington.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts