Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little brother is planning on proposing to his girlfriend in a sort of cute unique way (atleast I think so) in the not so distant future and needs some help with making his idea a reality. He wants to get his and her name engraved on a brown elk antler they found together last spring, with the year 2016 engraved in it as well. He's gonna plant it for her to find when they are out hunting this fall/winter. My question is this, does anyone know of someone local they would recommend for this kind of work? He knows it's not gonna be cheap, but doesn't want to spend a fortune to have it done either. All I've been able to find is people out of state and some of their prices are crazy steep! I'd like to find someone a little closer we could work with personally and kind of give them an idea of what he wants. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

On another note, it's almost here guys!! Less than 3 weeks! Can't wait!! >---->

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wants their first names on it too... What kind of drill is required to do something like this? He has some artistic ability, maybe he could do it himself if he had he right equipment?

·
Super Moderator
9,803 Posts
He wants their first names on it too... What kind of drill is required to do something like this? He has some artistic ability, maybe he could do it himself if he had he right equipment?
He'll need a Dremel type of a tool with the correct type of a bit. You can get cheap ones under $20.00 at Harbor Freight or the real deal for under $200. For carving he would want the flex shaft attachment so that he could use it like a pencil.

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
He'll need a Dremel type of a tool with the correct type of a bit. You can get cheap ones under $20.00 at Harbor Freight or the real deal for under $200. For carving he would want the flex shaft attachment so that he could use it like a pencil.
Yeah good idea, they don't cost much.

Hints:

Layout the name in MS Word. Transfer the name or object to wax paper. You can even cut a piece of wax paper and run it directly thru your printer. Cut out your design and tape it to the horn (or knife handle or gunstock :)). Then take a pin or sharp scratch awl and transfer the pattern to the horn. Remove the pattern an take a dremel carving bit and "connect the dots".

Reactions: johnnycake
1 - 7 of 7 Posts