Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while I was at Wal Mart checking out the fishing magazines as I always do, I find myself only interested in a few articles. For some reason, bass in California or Pike in Canada don't really hit home. I bet someone could make some money if they found local people possibly from the forums like this one or big fish tackle and wrote local articles. It would be hard to start monthly, but an idea would be to maybe publish 4 magazines a year. One for each season and involve fly fishing, trolling, jigging, bait fishing, equipment and whatever else in it. If I seen that in a store and it was from local people, especially members from the forum, I would without a doubt buy it. It don't have to be anything fancy, just some literature and possibly some pictures or maps or something would be AWESOME. I don't have much time with school right now, but if someone else don't bite on the idea, I may have to put something together in a year or so when I get done with school. Question, how many people would buy something like this would you say???? I think if you sold them to gas stations throughout the state and a few other stores like sportsmans you could make a little bit of money.

Some advantages is it may increase the sales of fishing licenses. It may bring more publicity and knoweldgeable people to the forums, and overall it may give us more insite on what the state has to offer. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have thought about this as well. However I have noticed that there is a magazine about local waters in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado that can be bought on the Auto Trader rack.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
A few years back there used to be one, I think it was called Utah outdoors ? they started off as a small phamphlet dedicated to fishing and hunting in UT. The grew into a full scale color monthly magazine and it was good information. About 1 year into it they deceided to include backpacking, mountian biking, and climbing. Slowly those topics took over and they changed from a fishing & hunting to more of a general outdoors magazine. I haven't seen it out for a while but I know that when they started publishing more articles about non fishing and hunting topics than fishing and hunting they lost a bunch of subscribers including me.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Originally it was a newpaper type spread called "Utah Fishing." Then as Orvis said they moved to a more slick color magazine called "Utah Outdoors." I believe it was a local family by the name of Webb that was publishing it. My understanding is that it was doing fairly well, but then advertisers were defaulting on ad payments and it was not able to stand alone on it's subscription money. To reach a larger audience and more subscribers they tried to make it appeal to all outdoors pursuits. Standing alone on fishing and hunting just didn't seem to pull in enough subscribers or advertisers. (This is my understanding and may not be totlly accurate.)

I've seen others toy around with some very simple publications devoted strickly to fishing but they soon disappear because the efforts to write, pay writers, produce and pay postage doesn't make it lucritive enough.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
That is the one. When it was just a little newsletter Utah Fishing was a really good information source. Now with forums like these it would be hard to keep the information current enought to actually sell it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
AFD- I think it is an awesome idea. I do agree with Fatbass on the up to the minute information that is shared online at this forum, bodies of water can change so much from time of writing a report to the time it is published and out to the masses in a monthly format. If such mag did exist I would definitely subscribe and would really enjoy submitting articles. It would be great to recognize people's work from this forum. I've only just glanced at BFT, this place feels like home and I've only been around for a few short months. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts