Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I have not posted a report in a while. But, over the past two weeks I have been doing really well on the Logan. I thought that the spawning season would have ended a couple of weeks ago, however, it is still dragging on. The fish are no longer rolling in their beds, but are still taking down eggs and copper johns. I am still getting large numbers of fish with eggs in them. The average trout is about 10-11 inches. The largest are about 14 inches. Sorry, I have not been taking my camera with me, so I have no pictures to post.
Here is the magical fly that I do so well with during the brown spawn:
http://www.westerntroutflies.com/nymphs.htm
Its on that page, called the "Trout Egg Cluster." It is very unique. I have not seen anyone else with a pattern like that. Instead of one big fuzzy egg, the fly consists of a cluster of small beads, resebling the exact size and color of trout eggs. I normally fish a copper john about 6 inches below the egg cluster. About one in every four fish would hit the john. Anyways, my past couple of weeks of fishing were really good. Thought I would share.

Pavlik

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
The egg pattern is relatively new.
I have used it off and on for about 4 years now.
The first version that I know of was called a
Western Omelet. It uses 2 orande beads and 1 white or clear bead.
I don't get as many hook-ups with this pattern as I do with the Glow Bug.
I think that it's because the hard beads are very close to the hook and hamper the hook set. Other anglers love the pattern and don't seem to have the same proble.
In the end, I guess that it all boils down to what you believe in, and trust.
Great report and keep up the good fishing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I miss a lot of fish on that fly. But, I also get a ton of hits on the fly as well. I would say I probably land one fish in every four that hit it. I almost always fish the fly with a copper john right below it. That way, a lot of the time, you would snag the fish with the bottom fly as the top one slips out of their mouth. Even with all of the fish that I miss, no other fly pattern has generated me as many hits as this egg cluster. Some of the fish that I catch have eggs come out of them as I pick them up out of the water. I took some of the eggs, and held them up against my fly. They look identical. It is amazing how the browns attack it.

Pavlik

·
Registered
629 Posts
Snagging the fish with a trailer fly is not a good thing. Why would you keep rigging that way if this is happening regularly? I for one would never purchase flies from someone who is so irresponsible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ScottyP said:
Snagging the fish with a trailer fly is not a good thing. Why would you keep rigging that way if this is happening regularly? I for one would never purchase flies from someone who is so irresponsible.
i think its a great thing! Thats an 'irish hookset'

sm

·
Registered
385 Posts
ScottyP said:
come on now. it is people like you who give the rest of us fly-fisherman a bad names such as elitist snobs.

think about this though. you have a trailer and the fish takes the first fly. you are slow setting the hook so the fish is in the process of spitting out the fly. as you set the hook it pulls the first one out of his mouth but the second one comes right up behind it. because the first one came out of his mouth the second one lands in his mouth. since he is setting the hook the second hook gets caught in the side of his mouth. not really a foul hook set if the fly hooks him in the mouth.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think what SP is getting at is if you are consistently "snagging" fish then change your set up. Personally I would assume if you think you are snagging fish it's because you have a pretty good idea that you are making their anal opening a little larger and not hooking them in the mouth. If it happens every once in a while no big deal but if you are consistently doing it it's one of two things. Either you set up isn't correct or your hand, eye, feel reflex is pretty slow. Now that could be from genetics or self inflicted inebriation, not knowing Pavilk any assumptions here could be incorrect.

·
Registered
385 Posts
knowing pavlik i think he meant snagging them in the mouth.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Snagging them in the mouth? That is clearly not what he meant. They are hitting the egg cluster, but since it is a poorly tied pattern that does not get good hook-ups (look at the pattern-- too bulky) he is snagging them in the ass with the trailer. He spelled it out pretty clearly himself. Intentional snagging is illegal and unethical. Sure, I have foul hooked fish plenty of times over the years, but not intentionally and like packfish pointed out changing the setup will usually put a stop to it. Spelling out how to set up a snag rig like pavlik did is just plain retarded.

·
Registered
385 Posts
ScottyP said:
Snagging them in the mouth? That is clearly not what he meant. They are hitting the egg cluster, but since it is a poorly tied pattern that does not get good hook-ups (look at the pattern-- too bulky) he is snagging them in the ass with the trailer. He spelled it out pretty clearly himself. Intentional snagging is illegal and unethical. Sure, I have foul hooked fish plenty of times over the years, but not intentionally and like packfish pointed out changing the setup will usually put a stop to it. Spelling out how to set up a snag rig like pavlik did is just plain retarded.
well then i guess a pt is just too bulky also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
seeing he owns the fly company, id say it was a blatant advertisement !

sm

ps **** good looking flies, but ebay is 1/2 again cheaper, sorry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.