Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooooo been looking for boats and have seen many people selling their duck boat set up with a outboard instead of a long tail. Are there areas that you can get out into the big water areas with an outboard? The F.B. guy told me that only the ditch lines were deep enough for outboards and the big water is only up 10 18 inches deep. any advice?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking on ksl, there are a lot of jon boats for sale with outboards.. my thoughts are that they are selling with an outboard because they are keeping their LT for their next boat. I'm sure that I'm not the first those has thought about buying an outboard for my duck boat in order to take it out fishing, etc.
Why sell my LT when it will push the next/ bigger boat I want to get and it a large percentage of the overall cost of the rig. 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice one COOT, lol. I was wondering the same thing, people keeping their long tails. Just wondering if I was missing something, I have a small outboard, but not a long tail. Was wondering if I could save my self some $$$ by using it instead of buying a long tail.
Toys just aint cheap these days

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
. Was wondering if I could save my self some $$$ by using it instead of buying a long tail.
NO!
The impeller will suck up mud, pondweed, and everything else if you are running a liquid cooled outboard. I towed some guys in last year that destroyed their new Suzuki outboard on the Turpin unit.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
NO!
The impeller will suck up mud, pondweed, and everything else if you are running a liquid cooled outboard. I towed some guys in last year that destroyed their new Suzuki outboard on the Turpin unit.
Back some 45 years ago I used to work on outboards at grandpa's marina. I did see a few powerheads burned up from lack of water to them by an impeller issue. Most of the time it was due to an older motor not being run for several years and the impeller being dry rotted and wings breaking off. If there is not sufficient water coming into the engine to cool it off it will keep running until it overheats, seizes up and you end up with a boat anchor attached to your transom. I've run outboards for short durations in low water conditions but it was a last resort scenario and once I hit deeper water I always put the motor in reverse and gassed it good to clear out the intake and then gassed it good in forward again to flush the cooling system. Not something you want to do regularly if it can be avoided.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts