·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
Cool find!

I look forward to an update on what the DWR says

·
Registered
839 Posts
The DWR will give you the gps data they have on that if you ask them to. Kinda cool stuff to see. Amazing how far they will travel over night and the areas they were in prior to their last known location.

I found a really old, degraded collar of some kind last year while stalking a buck. Hung it in a tree with the intent to grab it on the way out. Killed the deer and didn’t take that way for the pack out. I’ll have to go grab it this year and see if there’s any info on it. It’s really old. Nothing close to what we have on animals today.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[Thsttaxidermist, post: 2226252, member: 5770"]
I wonder if someone killed an animal and then removed the tag? Didn't want to contact the F&G.
[/QUOTE]
That would be a d bag thing to do but I'm sure there are those types out there.

·
Registered
251 Posts

I didn’t realize this little guy was wearing a collar till after I shot him. I called the DWR and they said the biologist who was running the collars would be down the road where they were doing CWD sampling. I spent the rest of the day going down to the checkpoint only to find out they were already gone. I called the biologist several times and left voicemails. I wanted to hear about what they were learning. Never heard back. Three months later some college kids from BYU showed up asking my neighbors if they had a gps collar somewhere in their yard. After a few houses they finally found it

·
Registered
839 Posts
[Thsttaxidermist, post: 2226252, member: 5770"]
I wonder if someone killed an animal and then removed the tag? Didn't want to contact the F&G.
That would be a d bag thing to do but I'm sure there are those types out there.
[/QUOTE]
I found a bison carcass in the middle of swap Mesa a few years back that had a collar hanging in a tree next to it haha that’s a long **** walk for someone to go retrieve it! I figured you could at least carry it out to the road for them, but I do know people see collars, ear tags or even leg bands and get scared thinking they’ve broke the law and ditch them instead of bring them out to return.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've killed an elk wearing a collar before. Took it into the regional office the next day and dropped it off with the front desk to give to the biologist. The next day, I had that same biologist show up at my house asking if I had a collar as the last location it pinged from was my front driveway. He hadn't been into the regional office yet, and didn't know I had already dropped it off.

I ended up having a great conversation with the biologist regarding the reasoning for the collaring. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about killing a collared elk, and honestly was really stressed I ruined a study and work being done by our biologists. But after talking with him I felt better and no longer second guess that decision. Part of what they are trying to understand is the mortality rate along with migration routes and overall health of the herds. Being that hunters are a part of herd mortality, this was another data point they could use. So while it lost potential future data, it provided another point for their management plan and they are able to re-use the collar on another animal. He wasn't angry, upset, or my biggest fear 'disappointed'. Instead he was excited for me and my harvest.

As a bonus for me, it was awesome to learn from him where it was collared during a previous winter project in relation to where I killed it, and get a bigger glimpse into the life of that elk and it's age.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
When you read the regs they ask for you not to shoot a collared animal but there is no law against it.

I once saw a picture of a 170-180 inch mule deer with one on, I was actually surprised that he wasn't dead already. It would be kind of cool to have a mount with a collar on. My brother in law shot a mule deer buck back in the mid 60's that had two ear tags, he sent one in and was able to keep the other one on the mount.

·
Super Moderator
3,441 Posts
A couple years ago I killed a buck deer with an ear tag. I contacted the local biologist, told him what CWMU I killed the buck on and sent him a picture of the ear tag. He said the buck was part of the state's relocation project of moving deer from Bountiful to other parts of the state. Interesting stuff!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Found this guy while out looking for sheds. It a weather station had a string and ballon. It had instructions for sending it back. It said it was released in idaho i found it on the oak creeks. In return they sent me s thank you and a goofy looking hat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Found this guy while out looking for sheds. It a weather station had a string and ballon. It had instructions for sending it back. It said it was released in idaho i found it on the oak creeks. In return they sent me s thank you and a goofy looking hat.
I wanna see the hat...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts