Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a 380, preferably the keltec 3at or the taurus tcp, or similar. anyone have one sitting around that you'd come off of? id love to hear it.

·
Administrator
7,936 Posts
I've owned Kel Tecs and wasn't impressed. Very cheap feel.

Have you considered a Ruger LCP which has the same styling you seem to be after?

·
Administrator
7,936 Posts
Also, I dunno what your budget looks like but the Sig P-238 is a mighty fine 380 (Colt and Kimber make a similarly designed model as well).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had a Ruger LCP and a Sig P238. Hated the LCP, loved the P238. You'll struggle to find a nicer shooting 380 than the P238. Kinda wish I still had mine.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keltecs are and do feel cheap. But they sure are reliable. And the tcp is a poor mans Lcp. And I like the Sig 238 tremendously. But my normal carry gun is a Springfield emp, which is great, but I'm looking for something I can carry in an ankle rig in boots or in a pair of shorts. Unfortunately I'm in the $200 price range right now or id get something nicer, but I've previously owned both guns I listed and know they'll fulfill the purpose I need

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Obviously you gotta catch me at the right time but I've seen the tcp and the 3at below $200 brand new at different stores. And call me crazy but I'm just not the biggest fan of the LCP. No real advantage over a tcp and at least 100 dollars more

·
Administrator
7,936 Posts
Gotcha. Yeah the LCP was just built a little smoother. Operation wise, they are almost identical

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
There are two styles of LCPs now... primary differences are the newer style has
better sights and better trigger. I have the old style LCP and its fine, it goes with me nearly always as its so small.

-DallanC

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh well that actually is good to know! I had a tcp forever and it went with me everywhere. Then a buddy talked me out of it. Don't get me wrong, I love my emp, but I find myself leaving it in the truck A lot more often than I did the tcp

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are two styles of LCPs now... primary differences are the newer style has
better sights and better trigger. I have the old style LCP and its fine, it goes with me nearly always as its so small.

-DallanC
Would the new model you're talking about be the LC380 by chance? Or are you talking about that fancy LCP with the skeletonized trigger? I have an LCP and my brother has an LC380. They are both fine guns, but I have to say I don't really see the point of the LC380. Significantly larger and still only has the power of a .380 auto, although it is definitely nicer to shoot.

For that matter, I don't really care for that whole class of .380 pocket pistols. They offer too much recoil for an otherwise small caliber and are somewhat harder to shoot accurately. Whenever I carry my LCP I know I would only ever draw it if a threat was in point blank range. That's why it usually stays behind and my SP101 or SR1911 come with me.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't suppose you would care for a Highpoint... cheap, clunky,big, heavy, accurate, best warranty in the business, reliable, assuming the magazine and feed is not an issue on the individual gun.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I have an old Browning BDA and I absolutely love it. Extremely fun to shoot. Extremely accurate. Problem is they have really gone up in price. Luckily I got mine in a trade.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smoot- id much rather carry something bigger. i used to carry a smith shield in .40 cal. then i moved up the other emp (40 on a 1911 frame). i like carrying it too, but i normally wear shorts and a t-shirt about every day (student problems) and its just hard for me to comfortably conceal it. the 380+p in a good hollow point like critical defense still packs quite a punch. and can carry easily short's pockets, or in an ankle rig and boots.

mass- no offense but id just prefer stay away from highpoint all together. i know there's goods and bads in everything, but you hear about too many bads in hipoint

mule- i would love to have something nicer. i wish i could have had the money a couple weeks ago, al's had a sale of sig p238s for $400. unfortunately i have an expensive carry pistol already and my wife would kill me if i got anything nicer than what I'm describing.

and btw, I'm still looking if anyone wants to get rid of something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Smoot- id much rather carry something bigger. i used to carry a smith shield in .40 cal. then i moved up the other emp (40 on a 1911 frame). i like carrying it too, but i normally wear shorts and a t-shirt about every day (student problems) and its just hard for me to comfortably conceal it. the 380+p in a good hollow point like critical defense still packs quite a punch. and can carry easily short's pockets, or in an ankle rig and boots.
I get ya for sure, I bought my LCP for the same reason. Sometimes if I'm going somewhere that I can't or would rather not carry (like in the homes of friends or neighbors who may be offended) I'll keep the .380 in a back pocket and lock it in the glove box when I get where I'm going. Quick and easy. I don't know about the other makes but I'm pretty sure Ruger says no +P loads in the LCP. I know you've probably done your homework already and I don't mean to give unsolicited advice, but have you ever considered something like an SP101? I have an easier time carrying mine IWB than I do my .380.

If the pocket pistol is definitely what you want, I would consider letting go of my LCP. It has a crimson trace installed and I've got a spare magazine for it. It has had maybe 200 rounds down the barrel.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm oddly shaped to put it nicely, and me and revolvers inside the waist band just don't work unfortunately. If you want to pm me about the Lcp, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm not a glock fan but they have something with the g42. I looked all the 380 carry guns and it felt the best to me so it went home with me.
And this from a person that got rid of all the glock guns I owned.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
interestingly i ve never owned a block till yesterday, i picked up a g22. but i got a tcp the other day for $165. so I'm set haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts