Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, we had to put our 4 year old Black Labrador "Koda" down during Thanksgiving weekend. I am looking for a Yellow Labrador puppy. Haven't decided if I want a male or female. I have always had males, but willing to try a female. If you know of an upcoming litter, please reach out to me. I still have my 14 year old Yellow "Hagen" but he just can't hunt with me any longer. I refuse to hunt ducks without a Retriever.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If you do find a quality breeder with a litter coming, I would place a deposit down ASAP. Try to get 1st pick or 2nd pick of the litter. I was able to place half the price ($600) for a deposit and got 1st pick on my last Lab. I didn't care if I was picking a male or female, I wouldn't know what the "best pup" of the litter would be until I arrived at the breeders and made my choice after "testing" every pup one at a time.

I will get in touch with the breeder I used and see if he has a litter coming anytime soon. Both Dam and Sire were titled hunt test champions for six generations back and the pup I picked, was smarter than me I swear. Easy to train and very loving. He was a light red color, (registered yellow) and at 2 years old was 85 pounds of solid muscle.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
They look like some great pups.

No way would I be looking at pups that the parents HAVE NOT had their DNA, hips, and eye examinations along with the results to show a potential buyer! To eye test a Lab, I know they need to be at least 2 years old in order for the test result to be accurate. Also, I'd only be looking at pups that have a 1 year guarantee of money back at 100% if the pups health fails and your burring a pup. These types of pups are out there, and they aren't cheap. I'm guessing a starting price would be $1000 at the low end, and go up from there.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our Koda had a 26 month health guarantee, and both parents had all of their health clearances done. Unfortunately, there was no guarantee from cancer. I still feel so bad how quickly he declined and suffered. I saw that red litter and know of another, but I am dead set on a Yellow color like my Hagen. This is a current photo. Not bad for a 14 year old pup!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Our Koda had a 26 month health guarantee, and both parents had all of their health clearances done. Unfortunately, there was no guarantee from cancer. I still feel so bad how quickly he declined and suffered. I saw that red litter and know of another, but I am dead set on a Yellow color like my Hagen. This is a current photo. Not bad for a 14 year old pup!
Good looking Koda!

I've had black, Yellow, Chocolate, and then the Red colored Labs. I know the red color labs blend into the frag better than the black hair labs. Even with a vest. Every chocolate I've had (2) were the most stupid and worthless dogs I've had. One wouldn't even put a paw in a puddle. Neither one of them made it 8 months with me. I wont stand for a dog that wont hit the water to retrieve a bird.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good looking Koda!

I've had black, Yellow, Chocolate, and then the Red colored Labs. I know the red color labs blend into the frag better than the black hair labs. Even with a vest. Every chocolate I've had (2) were the most stupid and worthless dogs I've had. One wouldn't even put a paw in a puddle. Neither one of them made it 8 months with me. I wont stand for a dog that wont hit the water to retrieve a bird.
My Yellow is Hagen, 14 years old and still kicking. The Black was Koda. I agree trying to hide a black lab in yellow phrag is impossible. That is one reason I want another Yellow dog, but mostly I like Yellow better than any other color. Labradors only come in 3 colors. black yellow and chocolate. NO DILUTES!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Good luck on your search for for a pup. As much as I love labs, I’m not envious of your situation. Puppies are SO much work. I’ll keep my ears open.

In my opinion and experience, you should be able to find a well bred lab with certified hips and eyes and a guarantee for MUCH less than $1500. I would even say much less than $1000. I’m with you on there only being 3 colors of labs. It’s the “designer” colors that are pulling the prices the direction of ridiculous. White, red, charcoal or my favorite offender, silver labs 🤮🤮🤮 I’m fine when a well bred yellow lab comes out very close to white, or with the fox red coloring, as long as you still call it a yellow lab. But when people turn it into a marketing thing to charge more, it’s just silly, and not fair to the breed. But I digress…

I’ve owned and hunted two black labs and a yellow very hard, and never paid more than $600. And my hunting partner has a phenomenal chocolate lab that I currently hunt over 90% of my hunts, and she was less than $1000.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gander! I really don't want to spend a $hit ton of money on another dog. You know, I'm not looking at doing Field Trials, breeding or any of that stuff. I'm looking for a dog that will be calm in the house and fetch my ducks. Health clearances are important to me, and reputable breeders take these measures to improve the breed.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I've seen "backyard" breeders (accident) situations lab pups for $250. Now that is a joke IMO. Even a well bred pup can be a dumb-ass dog and not know its front end from the back end. Sometimes you get lucky and get a diamond or, like I did with the Chocolates.... Get the coal mine.

Best of luck Fowl! I don't envy you trying to figure this pup thing out. After loosing my dog this year, I'm out of the dog thing.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen "backyard" breeders (accident) situations lab pups for $250. Now that is a joke IMO. Even a well bred pup can be a dumb-ass dog and not know its front end from the back end. Sometimes you get lucky and get a diamond or, like I did with the Chocolates.... Get the coal mine.

Best of luck Fowl! I don't envy you trying to figure this pup thing out. After loosing my dog this year, I'm out of the dog thing.
Those pups Packout had in the Trading Post a few months ago would have fit my need. Those were nice looking Yellows.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
797 Posts
How far are you willing to travel? I know a few folks. I got my chocolate (I know you're set on yellow) out of a kennel in Dayton or Clifton, ID (I don't remember). He's a pointing lab- and his point instinct isn't that strong- nor was it my primary intention. More of a bonus. But he is a retrieving machine. He's very well mannered and a pleasant dog. They had yellows in the litter but I was late. Got at a good price. I'll see if I can get that information for you if you want. It was a family operation. He's a great looking dog and the parents were both very good looking dogs. I was picking between three litters and was undecided on color or gender. I ended up with this chocolate after looking at the different litters.

I think I'd prefer female after having a male. He pees on EVERYTHING even when I recently cut him. He's got some territorial aggression that my female didn't have. He's 4 now and is coming into his own. His upland isn't as good as my female, but his goose retrieving is very good. His personality aside from territorial aggression is very good with the family.

Attachments

Reactions: Fowlmouth and Ray

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had any luck finding a Yellow Labrador. Holy $hit! people on KSL wanting ridiculous money for backyard bred dogs with no health clearances or decent pedigrees. Most of the sellers I contact have zero clue what health clearances even are, or AKC registration papers for that matter. Most of these people think their dogs are so cute, actually a lot of them are ugly as $hit. I wouldn't feed some of those ugly F^%$*rs. There are a few nice litters out there, but I'm not willing to spend $1000+ for a dog that might turn out to be something.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Fowl, I hear your pain in finding just the right pup. I've paid handsome prices for pups in the past, with exceptional lines, papers and health guarantee. Just because a litter has the ideal items your looking for, wont make the pup a hunter. Granted, your odds are better at having a great hunt companion, but, that's not in the guarantee, or should it be. I had two labs that were dumber than a sack of hammers from great lines. They didn't make it 6 months with me, they were off to a family that didn't hunt and they wanted a dog for the family.

One of my hunting partners back in the early 90's had a "OOP's" litter (12 pups) when his female wirehair pointer got out and his male lab knotted up to her. He was so pissed it was crazy. He literally was giving the pups away at 8 weeks old. I talked him into keeping one of them, which he did, and that "accident breading" pup was one of the best dogs I have ever been around. He was shocked and wish he hadn't have given them away. If I ever come across a litter of these pups, I just might have to pick one up.

Best of luck in the search, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fowl, I hear your pain in finding just the right pup. I've paid handsome prices for pups in the past, with exceptional lines, papers and health guarantee. Just because a litter has the ideal items your looking for, wont make the pup a hunter. Granted, your odds are better at having a great hunt companion, but, that's not in the guarantee, or should it be. I had two labs that were dumber than a sack of hammers from great lines. They didn't make it 6 months with me, they were off to a family that didn't hunt and they wanted a dog for the family.

One of my hunting partners back in the early 90's had a "OOP's" litter (12 pups) when his female wirehair pointer got out and his male lab knotted up to her. He was so pissed it was crazy. He literally was giving the pups away at 8 weeks old. I talked him into keeping one of them, which he did, and that "accident breading" pup was one of the best dogs I have ever been around. He was shocked and wish he hadn't have given them away. If I ever come across a litter of these pups, I just might have to pick one up.

Best of luck in the search, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you.
A lot of people can't understand getting rid of a dog that just won't perform. I get it, people love their pets. I want more than a pet; I want a dog that performs. My 14-year-old yellow lab has a nice pedigree, and he was a fantastic hunting dog. I still have his registration papers that I never turned in to AKC. I never planned on or used him for stud services, so never turned in the paperwork.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Fowlmouth, Just a thought, the Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club is having a picnic trial on Saturday Feb. 12 at the Lee Kay dog training area. If you're the social type you could go out wander around and talk to people. You may be able to get a lead on some good litters.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
797 Posts
A lot of people can't understand getting rid of a dog that just won't perform. I get it, people love their pets. I want more than a pet; I want a dog that performs. My 14-year-old yellow lab has a nice pedigree, and he was a fantastic hunting dog. I still have his registration papers that I never turned in to AKC. I never planned on or used him for stud services, so never turned in the paperwork.
That's what I did with my 4 year old chocolate lab. I debated studding out, but ultimately, I didn't want the headache. I understand. I know some people that have litters, and have been very good dogs if you want information. They're not in Utah. One is Arizone. One is in Idaho. One is in Minnesota.

Reactions: Fowlmouth

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Good luck in your search. You'll find one that will work.
My dog just came back into heat and my wife and daughter said no to breeding her again. Its hard to want to go thru the stress of getting the pups taken care of. Last summer the best litters were $700-800. I couldn't bring myself to sell the litter to a person who wanted to broker them.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Fowlmouth, Just a thought, the Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club is having a picnic trial on Saturday Feb. 12 at the Lee Kay dog training area. If you're the social type you could go out wander around and talk to people. You may be able to get a lead on some good litters.
I have reached out to a few guys that run trials and they are looking.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts