Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to cash in my Mountain Goat points in 2016 or 2017 and was hoping that there would be someone out there that would be willing to offer up some info. to help me get going in the right direction on this. My plan has always been to hunt the Willard Peak unit because it is close to home and I figure that would give me more opportunity to scout the area. I have been to that area often during the summer months, but have never really had time to go up during the actual season and see how the goats react to the pressure. My goal this fall is to spend a few days up there in mid October to see what I can find out. Here's what I'm hearing about the area and was hoping to confirm with anyone that has hunted this unit. I'm told that the early hunt is a bit better because after that hunt begins the goats retreat to the cliffs? I really want a goat with the long hair so I would rather do the late hunt, but it leaves me sort of nervous thinking what I might be faced with if that info is correct. I'm also not stuck on this unit and have collected enough points now that I'm pretty sure that I could draw any unit I want, I just thought it would offer me more time to scout. I am also looking at the hunt in Beaver and have even considered spending some time in the high Uinta unit. I welcome any opinions or advice on any other goat units as well if anyone out there has hunted them and is willing to share.

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
Looks like people who had 17 pts this year had a 1 in 11 chance to draw Beaver late, 1 in 5 for beaver early. Looks like you might have a shot at Willard but there are only 2 tags to goto max point holders so someone who has been building only points can jump in and wreck your plans.

IDK anything about Willard. My wife hunted Beaver last year (early hunt).

-DallanC

·
Registered
680 Posts
Now that I can't hunt them again in Utah in my lifetime I'm comfortable suggesting the Beaver early. I hunted it two years ago and it was a riot. Took a while to find the mature Billy's but once we did we were able to connect. Beautiful country with a lot of goats, most in reasonable areas. We saw some dandy bulls and bucks as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did the Uintah's last year and I briefly considered Willard. However, I wanted the solitude and not worry about someone else getting to a goat before me. I've spent most of my life hiking, fishing and hunting in the Uintah's that I decided I'd stick with what I knew best, even though Willard is just up the street from me. If you're in no hurry and can wait one more year, I'd suggest picking a unit you really want to hunt and spend all the time you can next summer and fall checking it out (I had just about as much fun scouting for a couple years as I had on my actual hunt). Then you would be more confident in your hunt.

Smokepole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts