Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Stevens 940E single shot 12 ga that I'd like to trade for a decent quality 20 ga single. I've got fusions in my neck and worn out shoulders, so the 12 is just beating the crap out of me. I know there are lots of things I can do to tame the 12, but I'm not interested in changing it. Anyone have an old 20 (or 16 :D ) they might be looking to unload?
I don't have a functional digital camera at the moment, but I'll try to get some pics in here so you can see it. I just refinshed the stock a couple of months ago. It's a actually a pretty nice looking gun. I'd be willing to do a partial trade- my gun plus $25-$50 depending on value of your gun.
No NEF or HR
I prefer the Winchester mod 370 or a Savage, Stevens, Western Field, etc. They're well made guns without a lot of resale value. PM me if you have something like this you'd be willing to be rid of.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
20's seem just as bad as the 12's as far as single shots go. If you want light recoil, go with a double barrel from what I hear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on the model. If it's just a 20 built on a 12 frame,(which is the easy way out that most of the lower grade companies took), then it's just a heavy, cumbersome 20. That's why I want a Savage , Stevens, or Fox (post Savage cheapie) or Sears gun. They're built on their requisite frames.
The point is; my 12 nails me square in the jaw when I fire it. (I'm 6', 135 lbs). This is not the case for your average male. For me, it is (long arms). Thanks for the stock configuration lesson- if I didn't already know.
I also have a piece of glass embedded in my cheek just below my orbital ridge (from an old car accident) that this gun grinds into the bone every time I fire it. It flat out hurts to shoot the d*mn thing.
Bad shoulders, bad neck, and glass shards embedded in my face.
Who the F*CK wants to shoot a 12?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
SingleShot man said:
Sounds like it may be time to try a gun with more recoil reduction features than a single shot offers. :shock: :p

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
SingleShot man said:
Sounds like it is time to change more than just your shotgun, I would start with your username and switch to Lucky or luckyduck; something along those lines and then go with like a .45 with shot load; that sounds painful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a slip on Pachmayr pad that works quite well. I won't touch that shottie without it.
Question-
Anyone have experience with ported choke tubes? I've fired a few rifles with muzzle brakes, and minus the noise, was quite impressed. I think the ported gun my reduce the muzzle jump that digs the comb into my jaw. Also, I'm not well schooled in shotgun technique. Should I be settling my cheek onto the comb like a rifle, or keeping my head up and just using the bead as a reference point? If anyone is involved in a summer trap/skeet club, I'd like to know about it (provided you welcome newbies and stragglers).
Maybe, the volume of shooting might loosen me up. The shooting I did yesterday tore me up! Thank God for adrenaline!
I'm paying for it today- reading gun mags and drinking coffee, watching Nova. Trying not to move too much. I know- I'm a wuss. :roll: :oops:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ever consider getting that peice of glass removed? It just seems like the last time I fired a little NEF single 20, it hurt like a mother!, It gave me a pretty good stab! I would much rather shoot my NEF 12 than that NEF 20, but thats just me.

Sounds like you love single shots, but you should give a 20 gauge semi auto a try, shot my cousins 1100 and it felt nice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would love to. Can't afford it. Gotta take little leaps and bounds. NEF's HURT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts