Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Thanks for that info. I kept smelling something all day.

If it's the main Mammoth drainage then I hope all the fuels thinning they've done the last 5+ years helps. But at least there is a natural fire break to the north (if in Mammoth drainage). 馃槵馃槪

I don't know if it effects this area but hot shot crews across the west are understaffed this year because of underpaying the entry level crew members. May not initially affect us on small fires but it will when they need to call in out of state crews.

Registered
I'm at my daughter's house by the airport in cedar and just watched 3 firefighter bombers take off and head up the hill. Including the BIG jet bomber.
Three spotter planes were right behind them. They are really going after this one.
With the wind forecasts for next week, it it gets going it will be all over but the crying. I'm also hearing there is one in Zion. But not as big yet.

Registered
Fingers crossed the rumors are true that it was from a dry lightening storm last night. I'd hate to hear of someone causing this one. Too many homes up there.

Fingers crossed the winds push it north if red flag conditions persist. Steady winds forecasted up there for the next few days. Hopefully they can use natural features, highways and the old burn scars if it doesn't go to sleep tonight.

Registered
A 4th bomber just headed up.
Hope the can get it somewhat under control tonight.

Registered
Air tankers flying overhead all day so far. Inconsistent reporting on cause. They are saying 0% containment but that makes sense given it's only 24 hours old and they are fighting 35 mph winds.

Registered
not seeing much new info on this -- still showing 0% containment, but there was no visible smoke from Cedar on Sunday, and nothing yet visible today. It looked like a bomb went off on Saturday -- very similar to the Brian Head fire.

The location of the fire smells like "human caused".

Registered
Temps dropped huge last night after the week of unseasonable highs. I'm guessing it actually slept a bit last night after 36+ hours of fire weather and some extreme behavior.

Hopefully they contain it before it gets closer to the summer homes. They fuels projects are great in that area but that only does so much when owners have massive pondies so close to their buildings. Sadly it started to the south and has a lot of room to run before it hits the highway and Brian Head fire break.

And hopefully it doesn't damage the watershed too much. The projects up there have great potential but significant soil damage from a hot burn could be horrible. I'd hate to see another critical waterway on the hill damaged.

Registered
Just watched the weather report and the wind won't be doing anyone any favors for the next 3 days. Yikes. :( Looks like it will be a South to North wind though and I'm not sure where the structures are that are imperiled. I thought they were to the south, but its been a while since I've been in that area.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not seeing much new info on this -- still showing 0% containment, but there was no visible smoke from Cedar on Sunday, and nothing yet visible today. It looked like a bomb went off on Saturday -- very similar to the Brian Head fire.

The location of the fire smells like "human caused".
I believe they reported it as a lightning strike.

Registered
I saw the Facebook comments about natural causes and even a news report with that claim but the official sources I know all state "under investigation". I hope that's out of an abundance of caution on their part and not an indication of potential human caused.

Registered
another day of no visible smoke. The fire info site has no update yet this morning. Regardless of how it started, hopefully they've got it under control at this point. That would be a major accomplishment with the winds we've had for the last 3 days + what's yet to come for the next couple.

Reactions: backcountry

Registered
I hope the no visible smoke means less extreme fire behavior. It's never a good sign to see those fire caused cumulonimbus clouds billowing into the stratosphere. I wonder if the wind direction is just blowing the smoke away from Cedar more thoroughly now? But the winds through at least Thursday are scary.

The update has me hopeful though:

It's barely grown and no talk of crowning, etc. Its a great sign they are able to focus drops on isolated hot spots. I'm not sure how to read the escalation to a level 2 team though. Standard bureaucratic step? Indication of potential severity? Both or other?

Registered
Ugh. Haven't been there in 2 decades but that seems like key habitat.

Hard to be too upset at something as unintentional as driving over dry brush but still avoidable. Makes me wonder what the ratio of natural vs human caused wildfires we'll see this year.

I'm also curious how stretched we'll be on resourcing fires this season. If I remember correctly NorCal had started into fire season way early this year. That alone means fewer crews to spare during what was traditionally their wet season.

Registered
(Posted this in the wrong thread earlier:)

USFS includes natural causes in PR release. Like folks on FB said, looks like lightening strike ignition.

Registered
We were up on the mountain exploring mammoth caves when this fire erupted. There was nothing going on when we drove up. We came out of the caves after about an hour and saw the plume of billowing smoke. It looked close so we hightailed it out of there. It was probably 2-3 of miles away, but those big fires are pretty awe inspiring and intimidating. It's a good reminder of how powerful and indiscriminate mother nature is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts