Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took a shot at a little 2pt last night at last light. If seen him before and passed, but with time running out, I figured I better take him now or never. Good shot, 20 yards down hill, maybe a tad high. Rage went in, but didn't pass all the way thru. I saw it sticking out as he ran back and away, but couldn't tell where he was hit. Waited an hour before getting up and found my arrow where he ran into the brush. Decided to let him sit overnight because he ran into some really thick cover and it was well past dark.

Went back this morning at first light, and was super excited to see a bright massive blood trail in the snow. Followed him down hill and came upon some pools where he had obviously stopped. First pool was at about 100 yards, and then 50-100 feet after that. He continued to run downhill into some nasty gnarly undergrowth, but the blood trail was easy to follow in the leaves. Came upon another blood pool, and then another about 10 feet away, and then... NOTHING! Not a drop anywhere. Deer runs in all directions, but no snow. Tracks and poop everywhere, but no blood.

I circled the last blood spot over and over, continued down the hill to the creek bottom, tracked back and forth below the last known spot, even crawled on my hands and knees, and I cant find a thing. Nothing in any of the snow at the bottom, and nothing i can see on the opposite hillside.

Anyone ever had this happen, or have any suggestions? The snow continues to melt, and it may rain tonight. I cannot get back out until Saturday to look again, but I'm worried that the hills are going to be trampled by hunters again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
that sux, maybe he was somewhere dead where the blood trail stopped? I doubt he ran off without leaving blood if you hit him good. I'd thoroughly check all places he might've taken his last breathes and laid down...

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
that sux, maybe he was somewhere dead where the blood trail stopped? I doubt he ran off without leaving blood if you hit him good. I'd thoroughly check all places he might've taken his last breathes and laid down...
+1

Drag a 50ft cord behind you along where you see sign, it can help you visualize where hes going. Also check the sides of oak brush body high for places he brushed up against it leaving blood smears. Thats a really good blood trail in the snow, IMO its dead really close to where you lost it.

You mention you left it over night... any lion tracks around? Lion might drag off a carcass.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You might be able to get someone with a dog to track it for you? I know some guys that may be interested in helping you.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
How far from your original shot did he travel before you lost him? May have hit him above the lungs in "no man's land."

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I lost one last week. Pass through high lung. Tracked for two hours, bedded and let sit for six more. Came back and bumped the deer again. I let it bed down nearby but couldn't make it back until 36hrs later. It was cold so I felt fine with everything but tenderloins. Well, I brought my dog in to track it and located aa last years kill, Nike shoe from the late 80s and fresh leg that was picked clean. Looked like a cat took it into a tree and the leg fell out. I was bummed.

Good luck finding your deer but it may be gone to the woods or another hunter.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I was curious as well to be honest. Not trying to insult anybody just curious. I had a hot knife though butter pass through at 52 yards on about the same sized deer. Cant help but wonder in that case, if the broadhead had something to do with the lack of penetration. Again, not makin fun, just thinking of all possibilities.

·
Registered
334 Posts
From that lung blood and blood trail I'd say he J hooked right at the last blood and is buried in the brush right there somewhere.

With that said, I lost a good 6x6 bull in Wyoming this year where the arrow completely disappeared inside the elk. Tons of blood spraying out and then nothing after 1/2 mile. I would have bet huge money he was right there somewhere. After 19 hours crawling around on my hands and knees and three days of searching I had to call it a season up there.

Keep at it and good luck. They don't always turn out the way we plan and is part of the game.

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
76 Posts
With blood spraying out like in that 3rd picture? No way...

-DallanC
I've seen bloody noses bleed that much and I never found a dead guy at the end of the trail. :) Superficial wounds can bleed a bunch and then stop. It's hard to say. Snow always exaggerates the blood.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Looking at the blood on the leaves I don't know that he is hit in the lung. That's the other thing that snow does to blood. Looking at the blood trail there is aHEAVY...light....light.....light......HEAVY......light......light......light That goes pretty synchronous with gait/stride and the deer's body length. Without a pass through, and with that pattern I'd think maybe he was hit a bit forward, maybe high front leg?

I've seen far less/no blood trails with dead deer at the end though.

·
Super Moderator
9,625 Posts
I have also tracked a deer that was bleeding like a stuck pig with enough blood left on the ground that he should be dead. When I last saw that buck he was running straight away from me looking like there was no problem. I never did find that one, I even figured that the ravens and magpies would be on him in the next couple of days but a week later and he was still nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, south side of the road. Just past the gated community east of Kamp K.

Bow is set at 70lbs. Took shots at similar distances in two previous years with same bow/arrow/broad head setup and had complete pass thoughs. One of the blades on the Rage 2 blade was bent a little and wouldn't fold back in after I found it. Like I said, shot felt a little high. May have clipped a shoulder, broad head not fully opened, or hit in high muscle area.

Going to look again tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts