Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of us made the tough drive up on Sat, we had to wait at Evanston for an hour or so for them to clear the roads, even then it was near white out conditions for most of the way to Green river. We finally arrived at Lost dog at 5pm, three hour later than we planned, and set up right before dark. The conditions were near perfect with little or no wind, ice was 12 inches or more, with little snow in the area. We drove right down to the ice and only had to walk 100 yds or less to the spot we fished. It was a slow night on the ice, we caught 8 burbot but they were hard to come by. We left at 11pm for the drive back, the roads were still snow packed and icy in many areas. I got home at 3pm but was glad we made it safely. There were 6 or 7 groups on the ice when we arrived, did anyone else go up? WH

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not too bad if the wind in low but it's nice to have tent to stay warm :D . One of the guys in our group stayed outside and was OK, but I'll take the tent anytime, LOL. WH

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for the report . I'll be up there next weekend WH . I hope to find some thinner ice . :shock:

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
WH, Did you look at the ice conditions near Buckbored, or Squaw Hollow? I want to make a two day run out there. I would like to fish for Burbet one day, and then go after the Mack during the day. I like the Buckbored, and S. H. area for the mack.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the report, sorry it was slow at least you caught a few. Im headin up on friday to have a go at the nasty little eels.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it's taken so long to reply to your questions and comments.
Good luck Puddles, I hope you do better than we did, try in an area that has a rocky point or cliff.
Knokes, we were using sucker and chub meat, it also helps to put crawdad scent on your jig and bait.
Taxidermist, Buckboard is frozen but Squaw Hollow isn't. I'm not sure if it is frozen past Big Bend.
Hellsangler69, from what I read on BFT, you have left already but just in case, you should be ok at Buckboard. I did read that the channel just froze last week but I'm sure it will be fine now. Good luck, let us know how you do. WH

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I have the number to the Buckbored Marina on speed dial in my phone......If any of you want to give them a call here it is:1-307-875-6927. I talked to them last week, (wednesday) and like WH said, it had just froze over. The lady at the marina said people were fishing the bay, but the channel had only been froze over for a couple days. I think it would be fine to fish on now. I don't think I would take a machine, or a wheeler on it though.

WH, Thanks for the info on S.H. I hope it gets cold enough to freeze it up! I hooked some nice lakers ther last year!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts