Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read reports from anglers that fish at community ponds, and I see a general consensus
that many people that fish these ponds take a limit of fish every day that they fish the ponds.
Some of these people fish the ponds on a daily basis. Some even bring children with them so that they can take home even more fish.
I would like to suggest a lower limit of 2 fish of any one species with a 4 fish total.
This would allow for an angler to take 2 trout and 2 catfish in a limit but not 4 trout or catfish. These are the 2 main type of fish in most community ponds.

What I hope that this will do is to teach people that it's OK to release some of your catch, if you want to fish for a longer peroid of time. It also should keep some fish in these ponds for more than a few days after stocking.

So what's your feeling on this topic?

I don't have an answer for people that knowingly take over their limit of fish. They just need to get caught and fined, but that's another story.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thats a great idea, but I also agree with Fatbass, how would it be enforced? I personally release all the fish I catch at community ponds, and hope people see my example, but I dont think it works. I dont know why, but people seem to think that they MUST keep all fish they catch, small or not. Its sad but im all for it being changed and enforced. Get em Grandpa D!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I remember vaguely discussing this on the old forum and I am glad it was bought back up. I agree on the smaller limits. I used to fish the community ponds a lot and I used to keep the fish I caught, but nowadays I just go to practice. I release all the fish I catch anymore out of the ponds, unless I get a nice catfish every once in a while!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think that you are right. Some people are greedy and take way more than their share of the fish from the community ponds. Maybe a two fish limit would be ok, but people need to use less lethal fishing methods. At least 75% of those fishing the community ponds are bait fishermen and have no idea how to release a fish so it will live. They gut hook them, drag them through the dirt, and them throw them as far out into the lake they can so they won't float right in front of them. I think that the DWR has come up with a solution. Just don't put many fish in the ponds. Last year they planted Willow Pond (closest pond for me) every two weeks from Oct through the end of the year. This year it was planted Aug. 30 (most of those died because the water was still to warm) and once in Sept. Last year I could catch and release 50 fish every time I went. This year I feel lucky when I catch more than 2. I don't think this it a very good solution. With the current price of gas it is very hard to come up with the funds to drive 100 miles to Strawberry or Scofield where the fishing is susposed to be good. I think that they just need to put more fish in the community ponds to keep the fishing good. Dwr will probably say that they don't have the fish but they do. Its just a matter of where you put the fish that you have. In Oct. 2007 they put over 60,000 catchable rainbows in Deer Creek. I am pretty sure that is more fish than they put in all the community ponds last year and way more than they will plant this year. Because of the number of fish planted in Deer Creek I decided to give it a try last Saturday. I caught one fish and I saw another guy catch 2. That was it. I think it would be a much better use for those fish if they were spread around the community ponds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just one more comment. Maybe we need to propose a Stamp to fish the community ponds. The funds raised could be used for more fish, more education, trash collection and enforcement. $10 is way less than the price of gas for an out of town fishing trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, I wish the limit in the community ponds was just two. It would be easier to patrol, and it leaves some fish in there for the kids to catch. In my opinion that is what these ponds are all about. There is nothing better than watching these kids catch a fish for the first time. I often use Jensen Pond for practice, and I see many people abusing the limits out there. Its hard to watch a guy pulling fish out left and right, and seeing a child have no luck!

These ponds are a great idea, but we probably shouldn't be building so many if we can't keep them stocked.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
nkunz said:
Just one more comment. Maybe we need to propose a Stamp to fish the community ponds. The funds raised could be used for more fish, more education, trash collection and enforcement. $10 is way less than the price of gas for an out of town fishing trip.
I think this is a great idea, you want to hammer the community ponds, then pay for it... Great idea.....

·
Registered
980 Posts
I like the stamp idea as well.

The thing that can't be enforced is what people have in their freezers at home. A vast majority of people think that it's OK to have 15 fish in the freezer then go fishing and bring home another 'limit' of fish.

Putting a 2 fish limit won't prevent people from coming back everday and taking home a limit while stockpiling the fish in their freezers. It's a step in the right direction though. They just won't be able to stockpile them as fast. Which I guess is sort of the point.

Maybe there should be an educational program that people have to take to get a fishing liscence like with the hunters safety class. I know its completly different. It could just be a fishing education class that informs people on species, regulations, release techniques, how to properly handle fish, fishing ethics etc.

I know this probably wouldn't ever get the light of day, but I would like to see this.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
RnF said:
I like the stamp idea as well.

The thing that can't be enforced is what people have in their freezers at home. A vast majority of people think that it's OK to have 15 fish in the freezer then go fishing and bring home another 'limit' of fish.

Putting a 2 fish limit won't prevent people from coming back everday and taking home a limit while stockpiling the fish in their freezers. It's a step in the right direction though. They just won't be able to stockpile them as fast. Which I guess is sort of the point.

Maybe there should be an educational program that people have to take to get a fishing liscence like with the hunters safety class. I know its completly different. It could just be a fishing education class that informs people on species, regulations, release techniques, how to properly handle fish, fishing ethics etc.

I know this probably wouldn't ever get the light of day, but I would like to see this.
I totally agree that there should be some sort of Fishing liscense/ediquette class similar to the hunters safety...that would help fix part of the ignorance problem...the remaining problem would mainly just be the people who will poach break the laws no matter what rules go into force.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nkunz, don't give up on Willow Pond.
They are stocking fish there again. Several of the community ponds including Meadow Creek, Willow and Clinton had low oxygen problems when the trout were scheduled to be stocked. They did get fish after the oxygen problem went away.
The thought of a stamp or other fee to fish at community ponds has been discussed at length with the DWR and Community Pond leaders.
There could infact be a fee added to fish at community ponds in the future.
I would support this, if it meant that fish would continue to be stocked regularly in these ponds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Still no new fish at Willow pond. I fished there this morning for a couple of hours starting when it was just getting light enough to see. I caught 2. One was about 16" and around 2# the other about 8". I expect hardly anyone is fishing it now. There was hardly any garbage. That is quite a change for a Monday morning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another thought on a fee to fish community pond. It seems that there are getting to be very places to fish without a fee. State parks are $7-9, Forest serivice is $3+. I think that community ponds probably should be added to that list. However, it maybe a problem since most are located in city parks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I Read in the Salt lake tribune that Whirling disease was found in the springville hatchery which supplys Trout to the community ponds. 60,000 trout now have to be destroyed because of this find. this could be the reason why there have been no fish stocked recently.

·
Registered
256 Posts
nkunz said:
Still no new fish at Willow pond. I fished there this morning for a couple of hours starting when it was just getting light enough to see. I caught 2. One was about 16" and around 2# the other about 8". I expect hardly anyone is fishing it now. There was hardly any garbage. That is quite a change for a Monday morning.
No New Fish At Willow Huh? How Can You Tell The Between Old Fish VS New Fish?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I support lowering the limits. In my opinion a community pond is a learning / family / fun place to be. It's not necissarily a sportsman's place to go. Let the kids go and learn to have fun and teach them the importance of releasing fish and also the way to clean and cook fish. I take my 4 year old nephew fishing to the community ponds a few times a year and they are an EXCELLENT resource but as mentioned, they get fished out too quickly. If you could keep more fish in them, that makes it better..
And for all you criticizers, yeah they might have a hard time enforcing it, but all of us can help with that by having the poachers number. And the 1 honest guy that does only take 2 fish instead of 4, just put 2 more fish back in the lake that wouldn't have been otherwise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts