Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many animals have been saved by leaving the safety on or forgetting to rack another round.

I swear this happens to me more then I care to admit. That bird is in the perfect spot.. I put the front sight on him, squeeze the trigger and watch him fly happily out of range 馃槥

Registered
I find myself ejecting live rounds from my bolt action rifle when deer and elk come crashing through.

Registered
My fear of the safety failing has me only chambering a round when I hear or see my intended targets. Last year I slipped and fell down a little wash, sliding down on my backpack with my shotgun swinging past the legs of the guy I was with. The safety was on but a shell was in the firing position, and I have a Mossberg 500 so the safety is easy to bump being on the top of the gun. I try to be religious about taking any rounds out of the firing position when traversing uneven ground now. Practicing racking the slide or pulling the charging handle only helps so much but it's better than the possible accidents I guess.

This post reminds me of the guy last year asking how we all manage to get a shot off because he's always missed the shot by the time he gets his ear and eye protection on and then chambered a round and finally aimed at the critter. It's all relative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts