Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gotta vent-

I special ordered a Tundra in. Been waiting months for it.

It arrived today but was missing some of the accessories I ordered (no big deal, they’ll put them on).

I sit down to do the paperwork with a different guy than my salesman (he’s on vacation til Saturday) and he starts going through things and I discover he’s charging $5000 over msrp!

I say that it isnt right and need to fix it.

They basically say they always charge this premium and they aren’t removing it.

There was no discussion about this over the past few months. None.

Now I have to wait til Saturday to sort this out.

Here’s the bs on top of it.

Their website is showing my truck (minus some upgrades so the price is slightly lower) and DOES NOT REFLECT the $5000 markup! 🤬😡

Absolute FALSE ADVERTISING and bait and switch. I’m FURIOUS

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I just ordered a truck as well and the MSRP thing was something I dealt with too. However, the dealer I dealt with discussed it up front so it wasn't a surprise and it was part of the negotiating "game".

At least I hope there aren't more games once the truck arrives.

·
Administrator
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just ordered a truck as well and the MSRP thing was something I dealt with too. However, the dealer I dealt with discussed it up front so it wasn't a surprise and it was part of the negotiating "game".

At least I hope there aren't more games once the truck arrives.
I called LHM and asked if this was something they did and they said “yes” but you’ll know up front and sign an addendum acknowledging it. I’m guessing that’s what you did?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Not really, it was disclosed as we started looking at model options and it was on the official quote presented for approval once I picked what I wanted .

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Buying a vehicle is the worst experience in the world. I loath vehicle purchasing.
I'm with you. But making friends with the GMs of the dealerships by going hunting with them sure helps! No dickering and got vehicles at $500 over invoice. Much more pleasant when you've got an inside connection

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I ordered a truck from the factory through the dealership, (which I assume happened with you guys?) By doing that I saved the dealer prep, and all the other BS they add on. I actually paid less than what they were selling them for on the lot. Saved thousands. It wasn't a foreign brand vehicle, Made in the USA, not "assembled" in the USA.

·
Administrator
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a truck from the factory through the dealership, (which I assume happened with you guys?) By doing that I saved the dealer prep, and all the other BS they add on. I actually paid less than what they were selling them for on the lot. Saved thousands. It wasn't a foreign brand vehicle, Made in the USA, not "assembled" in the USA.
definitely no price break offers with mine.

I should’ve looked harder into some corporate discounts my company gets from Ford due to the number of vehicles we buy from them.

either way, I’m severely unimpressed by how Karl Malone Toyota has handled this. Especially considering this will be the 6th vehicle I’ve bought from them

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
We bought a 4Runner from LHM in Murray. That was my first experience buying a vehicle outside of Cedar City or St. George. That was the worst experience I've ever had buying anything. Singing papers for my house was easier, and more enjoyable.

I'll never go back.

Reactions: Bax*

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
We bought a 4Runner from LHM in Murray. That was my first experience buying a vehicle outside of Cedar City or St. George. That was the worst experience I've ever had buying anything. Singing papers for my house was easier, and more enjoyable.

I'll never go back.
When I was a [email protected]*& Nevadan, I would come up to St George to buy automobiles and a number of my friends did as well. Beside it being a reflection on the terrible Vegas car dealers, we seemed to be treated quite fairly.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'll never forget the salesman at LHM going to get the "finance manager". He immediately asked "what do you want your monthly payment to be", to which I kept replying "the monthly payment isn't the issue. The total price is".

I learned a good lesson from LHM -- NEVER, EVER, EVER allow them to go wash your car for you while you're shopping for something new. They end up with your keys, and you can't get them back to leave!!

Again, I'll never go back.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
We were car shopping one time when a salesman wanted to run my credit, and I wouldn't let him do it because I was not convinced I was going to buy one there. He wanted to run the credit so he could tell me how much I could afford. I told him it was my responsibility to decide what I can afford, not his. We talked a little on price and while not going into specifics, my financial situation. To which he responded, "You can afford way more car than you are talking about here! Let me go show you...."

I left at that point. I was no longer interested in any of their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
I kind of like the new program at Cedar City Motor Company, used to be Parkway, They just have their best price listed, no haggle, except for your trade in. I bought the last 2019 F250 Lariat crew cab they had on the lot just over a year ago, I was trading in a 2004 F350, the day I was going to take it down it wouldn't start and I had to replace the cooler, about 2 grand repair. Well after it was all done and I had signed the paperwork and was writing out the check he asked if they could do anything else for me, I said yes give me more for my trade in since I just did the repair at another shop. He checked with the manager and they gave me another $2,000.00 on my trade in.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
bowgy -- interesting with CCMC.

I bought a used pickup from them a couple years ago. Growing up here in Cedar City, i know all those guys up there, but had never purchased anything from them. I was sorely disappointed in the experience there. They made me feel like I was doing something wrong! I wanted to pay "cash", which they told me I couldn't do because they can't accept "cash", as in dollar bills. I let them know that I would write them a check. At that point, they wouldn't accept my personal check without me logging in to my bank account on their computer and showing them my account balance to prove I had the funds to cover the check!! (I would not do this!) Keep in mind, these are guys I personally know....I went to school with them! I played ball with these guys! I golf with them occasionally! Further, the manager had a concern and wanted to know if I was attempting to just "flip" the pickup truck, or do some other kind of "dishonest" deal. ALL I WANTED WAS TO GIVE THEM $10K AND WALK AWAY WITH A TRUCK!

I should have walked away from them, but I didn't. I went to the bank and got a cashiers check and paid for the truck. I left feeling like a lowlife for attempting to buy a truck and paying "cash" for it.

At this point, I'll have to stick with Tri-State or Newby. Looks like it's GMC's for me the rest of the way...

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
Was it the PRO?

I don't know about now since things are factory ordered, but traditionally they would charge $5k over MSRP for any Pro Model vehicle.

Now if it isn't the pro, not a chance that I would pay over (as the msrp should include any of the "factory" add-on's you mentioned).

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
I'll never forget the salesman at LHM going to get the "finance manager". He immediately asked "what do you want your monthly payment to be", to which I kept replying "the monthly payment isn't the issue. The total price is".

I learned a good lesson from LHM -- NEVER, EVER, EVER allow them to go wash your car for you while you're shopping for something new. They end up with your keys, and you can't get them back to leave!!

Again, I'll never go back.
The "4 squares" is the dumbest thing ever. I feel terrible that people don't know buying 101 and get suckered into living life by monthly payment amounts. Loans going 7 or 8 years. LHM is one of my very least favorites. They aren't direct about anything. Everything is some talk-around or game.

I also will never give a stranger my keys. My friend had a dealership holding him hostage to the point he had to freak out, call the police, etc. This was a major dealership that failed to realize his dad owned a business where the Sr Management/owners were getting a few new trucks from them per year. He didn't want to pull the "my dad" card, he was there to negotiate on his own. But they sure felt dumb losing hundreds of thousands in HD truck purchases.

·
Super Moderator
3,394 Posts
Add Young GMC to the list of dealerships to avoid - worst experience I've ever had in buying a new vehicle.

·
Administrator
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Was it the PRO?

I don't know about now since things are factory ordered, but traditionally they would charge $5k over MSRP for any Pro Model vehicle.

Now if it isn't the pro, not a chance that I would pay over (as the msrp should include any of the "factory" add-on's you mentioned).
Yes it is the Pro model.

My complaint is that I was never notified of the premium. Nothing in writing or any mention of it.

Had I known about the $5000 premium, I probably would have sucked it up because I knew exactly what I wanted. But now I am pissed based off dishonesty.

I had a call with the dealership's #2 today (the GM is on vacation for a week) and he said that if I cant provide any proof that my salesman didnt notify me, then there is nothing he can do. So I told him that he needs to prove to me that he needs to prove that he did tell me.

Needless to say it wasnt a very productive conversation and I am thoroughly convinced that Karl Malone Toyota is profoundly morally corrupt and dishonest and I will never do business with them again once this is all sorted out.

Then to throw salt in the wound, #2 told me that some of the options that I requested and werent installed may not be able to be installed outside of the factory. So I may not even get the truck I requested.

I dont know what in the heck is going on with these guys but this is absolutely a joke. So now I dont get all the options I wanted, and they are going to charge a $5000 premium? Screw these guys and the horse they rode in on.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

I'll never go back.
That is one dealership I refuse to enter onto the lot! Bad thing is, they are one of, if not the largest dealership in the state.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts