Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question?? has anyone else been attcked by sheep dogs? I have never felt like carrying my concealed weapon untill this past week. I was heading out on the end of a ridge on the 4-wheeler, i came over a hill where there was a large pond and it was loaded with sheep. as i got nearer the mountain maggots, the large sheep dog dog came running to me. followed by four more of his buddies. as they got closer it was obvious that were in attack and kill mode. they were trying to get to my legs and feet while i was cruising along on the wheeler. of course i simply sped up and they couldn't catch me. while speeding away i lost my hat. they all pounced on the hat and i escaped. I got out on the spring i was heading to and there was someone already there. so i turned around and headed to a different area. as i approached the clearing where the "wolves" were i stopped and glassed them from a distance. they were happily chewing my hat to shreds. so i figured the hat was lost . i started across the meadow and they were all laying in the road, as if awaiting my return. they sprang to there feet as they heard me and were literally in my way. i decided that i would run over anything stupid enough to get in front of me. as i got close to them they again tried to get at my legs and feet. i sped by them and was surprised to see one come running at full tilt from behind a tree right at me. he closed on me faster than i can type this and if not for a timely lift of my leg above the wheeler , he would have gotten my leg. instead he slammed into the side of my ride. I gave it all the gas i had and was barely staying ahead of the pack. they chased me for several hundred yards, before finnally giving up. this whole event really pissed me off. i wanted to go back to my camp and get my 9mm, and two clips and go back and feed the bastards some american lead. As i have thought about this psst couple days two things don't sit with me. one-why in heck do the sheepmen have to have dogs that try to kill you? and two-they are living off the public land, why are they allowed to keep animals on public ground that try and kill the public? I have never been a proponent of closing the public lands to sheepmen or cattlemen, but i am rethinking this stand now. What i am sure of is next trip i am carrying my sidearm, and i will shoot to kill if this happens again and its on public land. I am having to keep myself from going back up there for no reason other than to kill those pieces of crap. anyone got a feeling on this issue??

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Call the authorities and turn them in.
If you don't who will be attacked next?

·
Registered
71 Posts
+1
Grandpa D said:
Call the authorities and turn them in.
If you don't who will be attacked next?
Don't do anything that might get you in trouble. But if the dog draws first blood, Rambo time.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm not at all sure how the sheepherders feel about this.... I'm kinda worried that if you start shooting dogs, you may have to dump a sheepherder out of the saddle too and that makes things a lot more complicated. :? I do agree that their dogs need to be in their view so they can call them off however. I was up on a four wheeler over the long weekend and had the sheep dogs come running over to us but they weren't out to get us, just check us out. The herder whistled and they ran back toward him so no drama. Sorry you got chased twice... that doesn't sound very fun. I bet a whack with a stout stick would change their mind about how tasty you were too.... just a thought.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the thought crossed my mind about having a battle with a sheepherder. however i don't believe one was around. i am going to make a few calls monday and see if i can prevent some other helpless soul from becoming dog food. I am going to see who has grazing leases up there and send the jerk a bill for a new hat. I have wondered since what would happen to someone walking through the area???

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
this post really makes me laugh :lol: , I have a hard time believing this. in all of my encounters with these dogs not once have they become aggressive to words me or even my own dog.
i was out camping over the labor day weekend and a sheep Herder came through my c amp with his dogs, I had my with me like always. the dogs did not even care about my do, or my dog about his. in fact one came back that night to play with my dog.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sagebrush, that was my typical past experiences also. i have bowhunted for 30+ years and never had anything like this happen. But let me assure you that they were going for blood. I had them bark and look all mean before but this was different. I don't know if someone before me had tormented them or what but i know that i will not fall into that again without something to even things up. Laugh if you like, but it scared the hell out of me and i ain't easy to scare.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Were you up by Strawberry? I have never had this problem until this year up there. Scarred the crap out of me when my leg was almost grabbed onto.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Sheep dog comes after you, talk to it. A human voice is the sound of authority, so let them hear it. But an ATV is just an invitation to get chased.

I've had a couple of those big Pryenees come charging up like they were ready to kill, but had them on their backs getting a belly rub within seconds. They're just doing a job and they know their job isn't attacking humans.

·
Registered
210 Posts
While scouting near Soapstone last year, I came across a sheep camp. We spoke to the herder about elk in the area and had a lengthy conversation. We tried several times to approach his sheep dog and it would have NOTHING to do with us. I get the impression that they are all that way.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had always thought that they were mostly Great Pyranese, but up where I hunt alot of them are Maremma's.
http://dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm

I have always worried about getting into it w/ some of these dogs, and have had a few bad encounters with some. None to the extent of Archery's experience. I have had one bark at us and chase us off, only to come sneaking up on us a couple a hundred yards later scaring the hell out of us. The road was an old riverbed, so the sides of the road were about 2 feet higher than the road. Well, my girlfriend and I were cruisin' up the road, and the next thing we know, that **** dog had ran up behind us and had his head in the drivers side window yellin at us. Scared the crap out of both of us, but my girlfriend was driving so she got the brunt of it. Poor girl. :lol:
I have had another one come bombing in from across a pretty big vally. Once he got to us he thought it was time for business. I had to keep my bow in between us or he might have tried to have himself a taste.
Other than that, most have had wanted nothing to do with us. Just kept an observing eye on us, but would never come in any closer than 5 or ten feet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am glad to see this post. I too have had allot of problems with sheep dogs this year. I have been chased by them on foot and atv yelling at them didnt stop them. They are flat mean and someone is going to get really hurt. I am not sure what exact breed they either the pyrenees or kuvasz. I have never had encounters with sheep dogs until this year and it seems that there are always sheep around where I hunt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you take your handgun up, don't forget your checkbook. It will only cost about $1200.00 a dog. And then you can carpool to court with the other studs that shot the cows with arrows. Stop the wheeler step off and they would have left you alone. Good story though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Rustynail, When did i piss down your throat?? to even put me in the same sentence with those a-holes that shot the cows is unforgivable. I loathe people who do that kind of stupidity. And i will shoot a 1200.00 or even a 10,000.00 dollar dog if it attacks me. There is no doubt that if i had slowed and stopped, the discussion topic would be more like, thats too bad about that guy that got chewed to pieces the other day. and if you think i egged em' on, well i didn't. on the way back though i tried to tell them to get back and talked at them and i believe it made them even madder. But don't ever use my name or likeness in the same verse as those jerks that shot the cows.

·
Registered
394 Posts
2 years ago I was up near Kamas on the highway and found a large sheep dog standing in the middle of the road watching his sheep. I slammed on my brakes so as not to kill him and in return he charged my car and tried to bite at my arm hanging out the window. He came at the car so fast he dented my driver side door quite a bit.

The thing I did not like is that I understand why they can use public land and all that crap but how do you get compensated for the damage the dogs cause?

You don't and I believe that is irresponsible of the sheep owners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
rustynail, I don't think it's the public responsablity to step off their wheeler to avoid being bit. If I were to get bitten, the dog would be dead and the sheep dogs owner would be paying me more than $1200 for my troubles. On a lighter note, I was riding with my 7 yr. old last week up by some sheep and one of the big white dogs stood up to check us out. My daughter yells out, look dad that sheep looks like a dog and I say, "with a laugh" it is a dog and she then says, well that dog really looks like a sheep too. :lol:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
The ones we saw where we were hunting or scouting have been the Maremmas or the first in Loke's list. I haven't seen the Pyrenees or the other. I have been on foot and the big Maremma dogs just cruised right by... they were also the ones that kinda trotted up to the wheeler but then turned around and walked off. I wonder if the rabies shots you get when you're bitten by an animal come to more than $1200 dollars? I'd guess in that case, self defense would overrule my checkbook. :wink:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sheep Dogs!

I'm in the same boat as most here in that most of the encounters I've had with sheep dogs could be summed up by me being eyed with casual suspicion. On one occasion an aggressive dog approached me with his back hair standing on end, teeth barred, and emitting a fierce growl. I was on foot, and tried the usual warding off techniques. Nothing doing, the dog continued his approach with threat posturing until he was 20 feet away and I was very nervous about his intentions. I was packing a S&W Airlite .44 magnum, and employed the same logic that I would use in any self defense scenario. People are allowed to defend themselves if they feel they are in danger of serious bodily harm or death. In this case, I did feel that way and visualized a 15-foot personal space barrier, deciding that if the animal continued past that imaginary line I would put him down no questions asked. During this time I had been angling away from the sheep(which were about 200 yards from me), my sights squarely on the dog. Very dicey, several times the dog was right at the threshold of no return, but when I achieved some imaginary distance from the flocking sheep he advanced no further. Anywhere I happen to be (my local park or hunting public land) an unleashed vicious dog that puts me or any of my party in danger of serious bodily harm or death will be put down. Animal owners of all persuasions have a responsibility not to allow dogs that pose a danger to humans to run free and uncontrolled.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts