Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brigham City will be holding their annual Ice Fishing Party on Saturday Jan 26th.
The party will be held at Mantua Reservoir.
If you are new to ice fishing, or just want to bring the family up for some fun and games,
come on up.
I have been asked to do an ice fishing 101 clinic again thes year.
There will be a lot of fun things for the kids to do.
There will also be instruction on fish cleaning and cooking.
I will post the times when I get them.
I hope to see some of our forum members there,
Grandpa D.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Me & a couple buddies went to that last year. It was pretty fun watching all the demo's and looking through the little booths there right on the lake shore. We actually had a photographer from the local newspaper ask to tag along with us when we got there. We gave demo's to him & showed how to use the different gear. We were plastered all over the northern Utah newspapers. *()*

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Grandpa D said:
Brigham City will be holding their annual Ice Fishing Party on Saturday Jan 26th. I will post the times when I get them.
I hope to see some of our forum members there, Grandpa D.
Unless something unforseen comes (weather) up we plan on going. We'll most likely get up there fairly early I'm thinking about 0715 haven't discussed with fish'n partner as of yet. :| We're a little leary of Mantua as we've heard about the thin ice in locations and not knowing Mantua Grandpa D can you give us any pointers on where to go away from the "thin ice" and possibly on some potential fish'n spots? We'll be heading out right from the boat ramp. Generally, how thick is the ice on Mantua? I just don't need one of us taking a winter "polar bear plunge." :shock: Had that experience once this year don't need another one. :mrgreen: Also will you be taking your radio and if so what channel :?: :?: :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mantua is solid now. I have heard that you can go anywhere on safe ice.
The area by the ramp will become very crowded by 8:00am.
You might want to try the North parking area, [where the trucks and boat trailors park]
and walk to the North about 200 to 300 yards.
You will only need to be about 100 to200 yards from the West shore.
Look for the deepest water that you can find. 15' or deeper will be best.
Most fish will be touching the bottom, so stay down deep and watch for a very light bite.
I did best using Ice Cut'rs and Gizzy Bugs tiped with wax worms.
I will try to remember a radio and use channel 7-0.
I will be just North of the boat ramp with a table, for my clinic.
I will drill holes in that area for anyone that needs one.
See you there,
Grandpa D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agian you came thru grandpa D I was wondering about when Brigham City Ice Party. I was planing to bring my wife along os we can have some time togeather. hopr to see you there.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Another one I will miss, it is the wifes birthday this weekend and I have been told "no ice fishing!" instead I get to pose for family pictures that will be so much more enjoyable :evil:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a reminder about the festivities.
The day's events will start at 9:00am and continue throughout the morning.
Parking will be in the parking lots only.
Don't park on the road or ramp area. You will get ticketed if you do.
There will be fishing poles and bait available from the DRW for kids under 12 [no license required] and all other licensed anglers that need it.
See you at Mantua,
Grandpa D.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
orvis1 said:
Another one I will miss, it is the wifes birthday this weekend and I have been told "no ice fishing!" instead I get to pose for family pictures that will be so much more enjoyable :evil:
That sounds brutal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts