Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this dead 6x6 Bull on Oct 10th, just north of Mary’s Lake by Joes Valley Reservoir. Contacted the DWR but by the time an officer arrived (17th) to check it out, the head was missing.
Nature Plant Leaf Wood Branch
Plant Wood Branch Grass Trunk
I’m not sure where they stand with the investigation but Please share this with your hunting friends and help us track down the antlers. Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I doubt it was poached. Probably lost by a muzzy hunter… head was taken illegally however… unless the hunter recovered it themselves and didn’t report it and go through the correct steps to get it in possession legally. But we don’t need to jump straight to “poached” on every dead buck or bull we find in the hills this time of year

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The head is no longer there. It was but now it is gone.

@MooseMeat - Why don’t we need to “jump” to poached? Don’t assume you have all of the information.
You mean kinda like how you are assuming you have all the information? 🙄

not everything is worst case scenario all the time. Im
Betting I’m closer to the actual truth in my assumptions than you are in your scenario… but that’s for the DWR to investigate and determine.

you’re probably most upset that now there is a 0% chance of getting the head for your own possession now.

·
Super Moderator
10,286 Posts
When hunts are going on there are quite a few animals that are not recovered by the hunter who shoots them. I know of a huge 6x6 bull that the hunter never recovered on a archery hunt down on the Southwest Desert one year. We found it by following the smell along with seeing the ravens having a feast along with the coyotes in the area. We contacted both the DWR and the person who shot it but a week later when we went back in the head was gone. It quite likely was found by someone hunting pinenuts in the area. The DWR officer along with the hunter were both pissed that the head was gone.

But if you would of just came upon it you could suppose that it was poached but we knew the story behind it. A couple of years later I did find a poached 4x4 bull, how do I know that it was poached? There was a gut pile 20 yards away where the folks had cleaned a spike during the spike hunt. They got gun happy and dropped the 4x4 along with the spike.

One thing that you need to realize is that when a animal is wounded and isn't being pushed it will travel downhill towards water which most times brings them out into the open where they die from their wounds.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I found a 5x5 in the Uintas last year, pretty sure he was shot during archery. I posted it on here to see if anyone had shot it and simply couldn’t locate him. I got pushback a bit about it being illegal to take, I say, what someone does with the information I provide is on them. Besides, Utah’s law is stupid, I honestly don’t care even in the slightest if someone wants to lug a rotting deadhead.

personally, I leave Utah deadheads where I find them and bring sheds back for my dog.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Besides, Utah’s law is stupid, I honestly don’t care even in the slightest if someone wants to lug a rotting deadhead.
The law is there because of some knuckleheads that would gut shoot deer with 22lrs that would die in the area, then come spring they'd recover the heads.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Seeing as that is what the law requires of you, good.
even if it wasn’t I’d still leave them, they don’t interest me much. The only reason I stated the obvious is because on the internet, if you don’t, it creates unnecessary arguments and longer replies to further clarify ones position. Which clearly didn’t help me any.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
even if it wasn’t I’d still leave them, they don’t interest me much. The only reason I stated the obvious is because on the internet, if you don’t, it creates unnecessary arguments and longer replies to further clarify ones position. Which clearly didn’t help me any.
There’s always someone on the internet looking to bust you on any little detail. Last week I got a call from a DWR officer that I know. Someone had reported me to the UTIP hotline for killing a cow elk with #4 steel waterfowl loads 🙄 the pic he saw was a cow elk in the bed of my truck with a stack of ducks and geese around it. They assumed that since I had killed the ducks and geese with a shotgun, that I had to have killed that elk with 1) a shotgun 2) steel shot for birds and 3) in a WMA for waterfowl. Now I dunno about anyone else, but I haven’t seen too many elk trotting down center dike at Farmington Bay in my time spent there. Ironically, that particular cow elk hunt was documented with the DWR and we had approval for that hunt to take place. The ducks and geese were bonus opportunities we found on our way home. I explained the story and all the details to the officer and that was the end of it.

we don’t always have to jump to the worst possible scenario/conclusions on everything. It seems to be human nature to do so, but rarely is it as bad as everyone secretly hopes it to be.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I thought it was only me and my brother that jumped to the worst possible scenarios?

Moose -- so, what did you shoot the cow with? Personally, I'm guessing that all that steel shot in your picture is just a cover. I'm pretty sure you're really shooting lead. Forget the DWR, I'm calling the Feds!!

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mean kinda like how you are assuming you have all the information? 🙄

not everything is worst case scenario all the time. Im
Betting I’m closer to the actual truth in my assumptions than you are in your scenario… but that’s for the DWR to investigate and determine.

you’re probably most upset that now there is a 0% chance of getting the head for your own possession now.
Wow, thanks for your help. Without you we would’ve only assumed that it was poached. I had no idea that there were other hunts going on and that the elk could’ve been lost from another hunter. Sadly, I don’t have any DWR friends so my “scenario” is foolish and I shouldn’t have written “Poached?” In the thread.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
to be honest -- I suspected BigA from the beginning. He called it in, then grabbed the head and left. "honestly occifer, the head was still there when I left..."

(lol. I'm just pulling your chain)

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is always made into a bigger deal than it needs to be. Nothing goes to waste in the woods. Nothing.

Gut shooting a deer, and returning in the spring for the head is bad. I guess because we lost a good buck that could have been breeding? A lost hunting opportunity.

Meanwhile, we have millions of acres of public land, fenced and managed for private grazing “rights”. Do you think we’ve lost more than one opportunity here?

But yet we spend most of our time, as hunters, talking about “poaching”. It’s all part of the game to keep us divided, fellas.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
What is the big deal with taking animal heads? Especially for an animal you didn't kill?
The law is there because of some knuckleheads that would gut shoot deer with 22lrs that would die in the area, then come spring they'd recover the heads.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the case.

Consider the picture at the top of this topic. Maybe an archery hunter is hunting his spike hunt in unit that also has LE any bull hunts. He comes across a bull that he legally cannot harvest. Maybe he arrows it, knowing he cannot legally tag it and take it home. But he knows where the dead-head is, and returns a couple months later to [surprisingly] find a dead-head.

Like Dallan noted, this is exactly why the law is in place.

Reactions: RandomElk16

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Jesus Christ Moose, from the sounds of it, that person was just trying to create problems for you. I’m not even sure how one would jump to so many crazy conclusions, clearly someone off their meds

1 - 20 of 60 Posts