Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
On this forum alone, there are many reports of this night time activity. And those reports are not by me. I suppose there are a lot of funny dudes, according to you.

You‘ve seen the facts, in this thread posted by others. Ranching on public land has outlived its usefulnes, mostly because it only accounts for 4% of beef sold. Public welfare for private ranchers will end.
Would these be the Forum Flat Haters who had meltdown over trailcams and baiting? BHA member I suspect. Get out more!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I’ll say this, I’ve seen cattle on a public land lease go in and completely dry out waterholes that normally provide deer and elk with water the entire year.

it’s simple math really, the mountain can only sustain so much life, when you throw thousands of animals on a landscape, that individually weigh over 2k pounds and that require 24-45 pounds of vegetation a day, plus around 20+ gallons of water, it’s going to negatively impact the ecosystem, in a big way.

now the water requirement depends on the size of the cow, temps and whether or not it’s lactating, just averaging it out.

To pretend it doesn’t negatively impact deer and elk is ignorant at best.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
As for the dead heads, I've seen some clueless non hunters carry off some dead heads before as well. Probably not as common as hunters doing it but it still happens.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I still wanna hear people defend the fairytale of ranchers herding elk after dark with four wheelers!!! I don’t care how many people claim to have sent it happen I still call BS. Maybe the key is to not drink so **** much!!! 😂

·
Super Moderator
10,275 Posts
Not to jumble up this thread with other than a poached elk and dead heads I started a new thread that could get quite interesting after a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How do ranchers sell public land, exactly, since that is what we are talking about? “Private” lease grazing on public land.

It‘s inevitable that the leases will end and big cattle ranch operations using huge amounts of land will end. They cannot compete with feed lots on price. It’s just a matter of time before we “sportsman“ get fed up bumping elbows with other hunters on crowded public land.

Once the big operations end, no more will we have “ranchers” riding past our hunting camps in the middle of the night on ATV’s pushing elk into their “mostly” fenced in property.
Let me educate you a bit on how beef cattle raising is done. They aren't raised in a feedlot from the time they're born. Cattle ranchers run cow and calf operations. The calves are born and raised up to "feeder" size which is usually in the 500-700 pound range. Typically ranchers sell they crop of feeder calves in the fall or spring and the buyers of these calves from the sale yards are usually the large feedlot operations where they are then "fed out" to slaughter size. So the large feedlots do not compete with ranchers, other than on the price paid at the sale yard.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Guys like ns450f are the reason gates stay locked, access denied and ranchers who get very tired of so called sportsmen. I do not know you from Adam ns450f. But for you to throw out a blanket statement like that makes me wonder why I’d ever even want to! It’s an embarrassment to this site and to actual hunters when folks act like that.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Manage all public land for exclusively for public game, like elk and deer, and those herds will grow 10 fold from what they are today.
Sorry, late to the party here, but this statement made me chuckle. Anyone else on here think that private lands (properly managed) are less productive than public lands ever could be?? I just find that extremely hard to believe. If so, why would "private access" be so desirable to have? I don't care how well public land is managed or how well is "could" be managed, simple pressure by numbers will never make it as productive as private land that has only limited pressure put on it.

I'll jump into the public grazing debate too. My opinion? Responsible private ranchers with public grazing allotments, and I would bet this is the vast majority, are a net positive in my book. It are the few that overstay their their allotment dates or overgraze their allotments that ruin the image...much like the hunters that don't close gates, shoot livestock and buildings, or rut up fields ruin hunters' image.

People having a connection to land that goes back generations is a good thing in today's age where nothing is sacred and the all mighty dollar reigns supreme. That connection is often the only reason that land may keep from becoming subdivisions in the future. Some things money just can't buy if the connection is strong enough!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not that I know the definition of "cattle baron" But I wonder who else deserves to be "F" in your world? What do you contribute to the big picture?

1. Joe Biden
2. I save life's everyday that I work.

What do you contribute to the big picture?

Guys like ns450f are the reason gates stay locked, access denied and ranchers who get very tired of so called sportsmen. I do not know you from Adam ns450f. But for you to throw out a blanket statement like that makes me wonder why I’d ever even want to! It’s an embarrassment to this site and to actual hunters when folks act like that.

I already got two bites. The fishing here is better than panguitch lol

Hand Leg Human body Jaw Mammal

You guys take your self way too serious, really I mean you all managed to take a thread about dead heads and turn it into a political rant about cattle.

·
Super Moderator
10,275 Posts
I agree things need to be toned down a few notches on both views.

One way that everyone can do it themselves is to just quit replying to those that you disagree with. I know that it is hard at times not to reply but in some of these threads we all need to practice some self restraint no matter how hard it is and we really want to reply to someone

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 60 Posts