Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a really great trip to Newton on sunday. We (Mcfishin, Poo Pie, and Puddles)had a total of 13 fisherman including 6 kids! We met up along the road and ended up with four vehicles. Pig pen to rubber duck, looks like we got us a CONVOY! The roads where extremly icey and we saw about a dozen cars in the ditch on the way up and back, including two rollovers. We got to the lake at about nine o'clock and got to fishing right away. The ice was about 5-6" just like drpepper said and was good and solid. The bathtub ring has frozen up too. There is a ton of perch in the lake and we hauled them in at a steady pace all day. The bad news is that they are all small. The biggest perch we caught was 5". The kids opened up a 4 incher to see what they Where eating and found that it had eggs and an empty stomach. I'm pretty sure the fish are stunted because of the high population. We did have three of the perch struck by muskies when they where being retrieved but didn't hook any of the toothy buggers! I brought along my grandpappys' Popiel pocket fisherman and tried it for a while but didn't catch any on it. However the extra pole in the old ice fishing bucket did create a problem. with an extra pole around you know the kids just cant help but to do what dad does and put another hook in the water(kudos to my boy for wanting to improve his odds, and yes I do have a second pole license). well there just happened to be a Crick Dick scoping us from the parking lot . He checked our licenses and gave us a warning ticket. My wife also got a warning because her license expired that day, just a warning but it is the first time she has ever had any kind of ticket. He was a nice enough guy but he did make my wife cry . At the end of the day we caught a 6" LM bass then packed it in right before dark. all in all it was a good day of fishing, we caught more perch than I could possibly count. We stayed dry and warm through the snow storm and the kids had a great time.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Reminds me of this time my sister and I were fishing out there. It was summer time and we were fishing on the dam. I ran back to the truck to get some chairs, so I left my pole in the water with a worm under a bobber. When I get back there was a game officer there talkin to my sister. Because she was close to my pole he gave her a warning for fishing with out a licence. I thought it was funny. She didnt even touch the pole and he sited her. Oh well what do ya do.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I actualy greatly appriciate "fish cops". As a matter of a fact that same day we were at newton that officer arrested two latino fellas. I dont know what for, he took one guys license and went back to his truck came back and arrested the two of them, a county sherrif showed up and took them both away. I thought it was funny. They do a great public service, and are way under paid for what they deal with. Although they do get to do and see some pretty cool stuff with wildlife. My father in law is a retired UDWR officer and I could listen to his stories all day long, even the ones I have heard three times before because he cant rememeber what ones hes told me. So anyway, sorry if I sounded anti law enforcement there, thats not what I ment to portray. I just ment that it was funny that even though my sister didnt even touch the pole she got a warning. Guilty by association kinda.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I actualy greatly appriciate "fish cops". As a matter of a fact that same day we were at newton that officer arrested two latino fellas. I dont know what for, he took one guys license and went back to his truck came back and arrested the two of them, a county sherrif showed up and took them both away. I thought it was funny. They do a great public service, and are way under paid for what they deal with. Although they do get to do and see some pretty cool stuff with wildlife. My father in law is a retired UDWR officer and I could listen to his stories all day long, even the ones I have heard three times before because he cant rememeber what ones hes told me. So anyway, sorry if I sounded anti law enforcement there, thats not what I ment to portray. I just ment that it was funny that even though my sister didnt even touch the pole she got a warning. Guilty by association kinda.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I'm not anti fish cop either. If they whern't out there alot of people would take home fish by the bucket load. It just sucks when its you getting busted.There are enough laws that if they watch you long enough they will get you for something. I agree that they take a lot of risks for the amount they get paid. I also want to point out that after he figured out that I wasn't trying to lie my way out of it and took responsability he was acctually pretty cool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It actually was expired.As he explained it to us, the license is good on the day of purchase so the 365 day license expires the day before the purchase date one year later. I didnt actually do the math but it makes sense the way he explained it. Besides, if I want to count past ten I have to take my shoes off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you nailed it. Superbad was my inspiration for my superbadass screen name. I,m not quit as dorky as Mclovin though.

·
Registered
952 Posts
McFishin said:
you nailed it. Superbad was my inspiration for my superbadass screen name. I,m not quit as dorky as Mclovin though.
So I guess it was either McFishin or Muhammed? :lol: That show is great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have seen alot of latino guys, obviously immigrants, who appear to have absolutely no regard to fish laws. i.e. multiple poles and huge hauls of fish way over the limit. Safe to say they probably aren't licensed either. While I know there are some who do a very good job of keeping the law, that's just been my observation.

·
Registered
889 Posts
RyanCreek said:
I have seen alot of latino guys, obviously immigrants, who appear to have absolutely no regard to fish laws. i.e. multiple poles and huge hauls of fish way over the limit. Safe to say they probably aren't licensed either. While I know there are some who do a very good job of keeping the law, that's just been my observation.
This has potential to be interesting...
o-||

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok puddles, let me guess, another fireman right? Way to come to his defense.
You got anything else for me PUDDLES? Maybe more creativity? :roll:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts