Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this question was asked on the old forum but. That was then and this is now. :)
I would like to check pricess and what not and hear some input by you guys on the processors here in weber county. I live in ogden and will (at least I hope) be getting some jerky done on some deer.
I know of three places so far
C and S meats out west of roy
champion meats in riverdale
davis meats out 12th streat

Any others would be appreciated and how you've liked your meat/jerky. and if you know the prices that'd be great too.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
tapehoser said:
Last map I looked at placed Erda quite a distance from Weber County. Probably not an option.
I traveled from Stansbury Park to Utah County for my elk processing, I would guess Weber to Erda is about the same. If I were to get jerky done, Thompsons would be my first choice.

PRO

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
proutdoors said:
tapehoser said:
Last map I looked at placed Erda quite a distance from Weber County. Probably not an option.
I traveled from Stansbury Park to Utah County for my elk processing, I would guess Weber to Erda is about the same. If I were to get jerky done, Thompsons would be my first choice.

PRO
Then why did you drive to Utah County? ... :roll:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
.45 said:
proutdoors said:
tapehoser said:

PRO
Then why did you drive to Utah County? ... :roll:
Because I didn't have any jerky made. :roll: :?

PRO

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
What? Elk jerky is the best !!! What the heck is wrong with you ?? _(O)_

And elk salami is good too !! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I prefer steaks/roasts/suasage/burger over jerky. IMHO, jerky is for unedible meat, like from a deer. :eek:

PRO

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
itchytriggerfinger said:
Pro what about antelope. How do you like that?
Still running in the sage. :lol:

PRO

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have gone to Champion in Riverdale multiple times and have always been very pleased with the results. Have used Davis as well and would go to Champion everytime, better jerky and better salami. Great guys and I have always been very pleased.
I have also heard good things about C&S but have never used them.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Arnold's Wild Game Processing is in South Weber. (801) 479-5405

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There is nobody that I would trust except...........Me in my own kitchen! You guys are crazy to let some butcher 'butcher' you meat you might as well bring in some road kill to have mixed in with your hamburger. :shock:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I agree. It's very fast and easy and for the same anmount of money as doing 4 or 5 animals you could have all of the equipment necessary to do it for years.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
north slope said:
There is nobody that I would trust except...........Me in my own kitchen! You guys are crazy to let some butcher 'butcher' you meat you might as well bring in some road kill to have mixed in with your hamburger. :shock:
If you think I am going to 'waste' my time processing the meat myself instead of killing more animals, you are crazy! Some things are better left to the 'pros', I didn't build my house either, even knowing some(alot) of it was built by people who can't speak english! I feel much better about the meat in my freezer from the processor than ANYTHING bought at a store.

The gentleman I use in Happy Valley is small and I have complete faith in him processing my meat seperate from others. I am very 'happy' with the results to date.

PRO

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Mountain West meats in Odgen, I used them on my last elk and they did a good job. They make great jerky.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
proutdoors said:
north slope said:
If you think I am going to 'waste' my time processing the meat myself instead of killing more animals, you are crazy! Some things are better left to the 'pros', I didn't build my house either, even knowing some(alot) of it was built by people who can't speak english! I feel much better about the meat in my freezer from the processor than ANYTHING bought at a store.

The gentleman I use in Happy Valley is small and I have complete faith in him processing my meat seperate from others. I am very 'happy' with the results to date.

PRO
A knife and a piece of backstrap can make for a great time. Why anyone would want to pass that off to the butcher. The meat is a big part of the hunt for me, 100 years ago people left the antlers on the mountain.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
north slope said:
proutdoors said:
[quote="north slope":0e023]There is nobody that I would trust except...........Me in my own kitchen! You guys are crazy to let some butcher 'butcher' you meat you might as well bring in some road kill to have mixed in with your hamburger. :shock:

PRO
A knife and a piece of backstrap can make for a great time. Why anyone would want to pass that off to the butcher. The meat is a big part of the hunt for me, 100 years ago people left the antlers on the mountain.[/quote:0e023]

I am pretty sure they didn't use "carbon arrows, and a smoking fast compound bow!!!" either. :eek:

PRO

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
Arnold's Wild Game Processing is in South Weber. (801) 479-5405
I've also used Arnold's for a couple of years...and he does an OK job. Plus, who in this day and age has time to cut up a critter (I'd rather pay the money and go play), and do you'all really wanna see me with a knife! -)O(-

Arnold's is right at the mouth of weber canyon...easy squeazy! :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts