Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Muddydogs, like I said, overall I enjoy his show. But if you think his antelope field care was ok, then I've got to ask how much experience you have with antelope? He had hair all over the meat as he broke it down the next morning, which for any animal is no bueno, but is particularly egregious for antelope. And the proof was in the end of the episode when he was eating his strong flavored meat. Properly handled antelope is definitely not strong flavored. As for his deer butchering, if you enjoy the bone dust all over the meat, and making blanket statements about game fat being inedible then by all means.

And yeah, Goob, this is the raw bear meat guy who got himself and his crew sick with trichinosis on a black bear hunt

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Johnnycake is just trying to big time all of us. Ever since he traveled north to the land of plentiful game and tags, he has turned into a caribou, moose, grizzly hunting elitist.

Yes, I am jealous!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You guys that like Rinella should check him out when he shows up on Joe Rogan's podcast, the Joe Rogan Experience. He's been on 3 or 4 episodes and they're all great, they go into detail on Steve's travels to South America and get really into Western history. Rinella comes across as a really knowledgeable, likeable guy. I especially enjoyed the episodes on Netflix where he took the 1st time, female hunters out and busted his butt to make sure they had a good experience, whether they tagged out or not. His Netflix show is the only hunting show that I've ever thought was worth watching.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I didn't notice the hair but with any animal you're going to get a little hair that needs to be cleaned off. Lots of guys use a saw to cut there meat, personally I don't but a lot due so they must like the dust. Point being he seems to eat what he shoots and uses more of the animal then most including guts. He takes care of his meat like he wants to and eats it so why rag on him. Hell one show he shot a couple coyotes and cooked them up.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
You guys crack me up.
I have seen some of his shows on Netflix before and ole Steve does seem like a good guy. It's just fun to push a few buttons once in a while around here. or maybe it's my jealousy kicking in?
Check out episode 3, season six. (Wyoming antelope) he even admits that he's not a very good hunter but he does seem to do his research about the animals he's hunting and the history of the hunted area.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Ridge, what does that even mean? I truly don't understand what a good hunter vs a not very good hunter is?

Care to elaborate? I'm not defending Rinella with that comment. I just don't understand this, or why it would be a big deal even if you are correct? Again, I didn't know this was a competition.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Ridge, what does that even mean? I truly don't understand what a good hunter vs a not very good hunter is?

Care to elaborate? I'm not defending Rinella with that comment. I just don't understand this, or why it would be a big deal even if you are correct? Again, I didn't know this was a competition.
He was referring to the time he was hunting antelope but lost track of the small herd. Assuming that the antelope had moved on but instead they were right below him, just out of sight. Then when they came out in the open, he rushed his shot and shot over it and never got a second shot.
I think he meant a "good hunter" wouldn't have rushed the situation. Resulting in a missed shot.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
He was referring to the time he was hunting antelope but lost track of the small herd. Assuming that the antelope had moved on but instead they were right below him, just out of sight. Then when they came out in the open, he rushed his shot and shot over it and never got a second shot.
I think he meant a "good hunter" wouldn't have rushed the situation. Resulting in a missed shot.
I think we've all done that. I've rushed shots, taken bad ones, made bad hits, and have learned from them. He's a pretty good hunter IMO, and when he's eating the tongue, testicles, liver, heart, neck, bone marrow, and every bit of meat I find it pretty funny some are ragging on a little hair he got on the meat or that he didn't take care of it just how you would. I guarantee that whole antelope got ate so what's the difference. I've got hair on my meat and left animals over night before. I've also taken perfect care of some animals that still end up being "gamey". Anyway I get your just livening things up ridge, but most shows would have simply cut that missed shot out and ignored it. That's why I like Steve, he doesn't try to act like he's an expert that never makes mistakes. He's authentic and as you said tries to know what he can about the history and places he's hunting. Some of my favorite episodes are when Steve doesn't harvest anything. The spring bear hunt on Netflix where he doesn't even see a bear I really enjoyed. His show isn't just a quick interview, a pull of the trigger, and a grip and grin like 99% of hunting tv. Anyway ridge, it's not hard to get me worked up so mission accomplished.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts

It's really not a big deal.. I was just having a little fun with the comment.
That generic statement could mean 1,000 different things to a 1,000 different people.

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
Steve Rinella's and Randy Newberg's shows are two of the more "real" hunting shows and pretty much the only ones I'll watch. I think they do a good job of portraying hunting in a positive light and show the whole story, instead of just a kill shot. Plus, I've never heard either of them say, "Dddduuuuuddddddeeeeeee, that thing is a giant!" Or "You just killed a ppppiiiigggg!"

The time Rinella got trichinosis was pretty interesting -

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
They really are not that good of hunters.
Especially for Mule deer.
I guess I was more interested in what you thought it meant, not what he meant on his show. I have to think you were not only referring to his comment on an antelope hunt, since you cited mule deer.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Steve Rinella's and Randy Newberg's shows are two of the more "real" hunting shows and pretty much the only ones I'll watch. I think they do a good job of portraying hunting in a positive light and show the whole story, instead of just a kill shot. Plus, I've never heard either of them say, "Dddduuuuuddddddeeeeeee, that thing is a giant!" Or "You just killed a ppppiiiigggg!"

The time Rinella got trichinosis was pretty interesting -

That's honestly my favorite thing about that show-I've never once heard him mention inches when talking about an animal. The focus on the whole hunting experience rather than chasing trophies is why I really like his show.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts