Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, this weekend I broke my shooting hand at work, have to go see a orthopedic this week to see if it needs surgery or not. If it does require some work, pretty sure I won't be able to shoot my bow all fall. Think it's possible to get a crossbow exception or would be best to turn the tag in?

·
Registered
650 Posts
What part of your hand? If it is your hand, can you draw the bow using your wrist and trigger it using your finger? That is how I draw my bow when I use my caliper release. If it is your hand that holds the bow, that could be a concern. My old explorer advisor was an avid bow hunter and broke his wrist. He shot a recurve. He whittled a notch in the cast to fit his bow and went hunting anyway. Pete Shepley (PSE Archery) had surgery on his shoulder and so he devised a system in which he drew the bow with his mouth and triggered it with his chin. He made a DVD about the hunt. He was able to take a bull elk using the system. So, I guess my response would have to be, how bad do you want to hunt? I broke my elbow one year. I worked at it, but by the time hunting season came around, after turning the bow down to 50 lbs and making some adjustments, I went hunting. Had a shot at a nice deer, but I wasn't as prepared as I thought. Let's say that I almost "skipped" the arrow into the deer. If it is important enough to you and you want to go bad enough, you will figure out a way to make it happen.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I broke the back side of my hand, on the same hand my release is. Won't know what to expect until I see the orthopedic this week. I am afraid with where my release sits I might be putting to much pressure on the break, hopefully they just have to put a cast on and send out.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I think it has to be a Permanent Injury, so I doubt you can get a waiver for your hand. At least that is how I understand it, but you should call the UDWR and ask.

You might be able to shoot with a cast or hunt the extended after it healed or turn in the tag to get the points back.

·
Super Moderator
9,417 Posts
I broke the back side of my hand, on the same hand my release is. Won't know what to expect until I see the orthopedic this week. I am afraid with where my release sits I might be putting to much pressure on the break, hopefully they just have to put a cast on and send out.
Take your release into your doctors appointment and ask the doc about it showing him how it works.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
have you tried lengthening your release and tightening it down on the bony prominence of the wrist. that should take all the stress off the back of your hand.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apd I didn't think of that, not a bad idea. Hopefully the surgeon works magic next week and I will do that.

It's not a special tag I drew this year, just took me three years to draw an archery tag for the central manti, never would've thought it would take that long so I am hesitant on wanting to turn it in.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i hope it works out for you. it might help to have a tennis style wrist band to pad the release over the bones. should help it stay in place and be more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you end up in a cast just have him put an eye bolt on the bottom of the wrist in the cast the you can just tie the rope of your release right to it. :grin:

Reactions: APD

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I think it has to be a Permanent Injury, so I doubt you can get a waiver for your hand. At least that is how I understand it, but you should call the UDWR and ask.

You might be able to shoot with a cast or hunt the extended after it healed or turn in the tag to get the points back.
Correct, needs to be permanently disabling with documentation to support it, here are the guidelines http://wildlife.utah.gov/home-disabled.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts