Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the opinion of meiers? If I get my big bull I might pay to have some of it done. I hate paying someone but it's going to be a busy fall for me.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thats where I always go. They are a little more expensive, but I like how everything is vacuum sealed rather than just wrapped in butcher paper. The meat lasts alot longer and tastes much better.

Thompson's out in Erda or Ogden also does a good job

·
Registered
565 Posts
FWIW I called them recently for pricing. $1.09/lb hanging weight to butcher an elk. Fat added to burger is extra.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Dont take boned out meat to them they will turn you away. Until last year i was a long time loyal customer in fact all my animals since i was a kid went there. But last year i had my wife drop off my boned out elk meat. They helped her unload it and then they noticed it was boned out they turned her away. Didnt even help her load it back into my truck in the rain. Im a thompsons customer now. With that said though their packaging is far better then anywhere. The way they treated my wife was all I needed to move my business somewhere else unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont take boned out meat to them they will turn you away. Until last year i was a long time loyal customer in fact all my animals since i was a kid went there. But last year i had my wife drop off my boned out elk meat. They helped her unload it and then they noticed it was boned out they turned her away. Didnt even help her load it back into my truck in the rain. Im a thompsons customer now. With that said though their packaging is far better then anywhere. The way they treated my wife was all I needed to move my business somewhere else unfortunately.
seriously? I was going to bone out my elk, that seems kinda crazy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wouldn't take mine back to Thompsons in Ogden ever again. Maybe you guys have had other experiences but the wrapping was sloppy, loose, and meat has been very dirty.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
seriously? I was going to bone out my elk, that seems kinda crazy.
I know! They used to take boned out before last year as far as I know. The explanation my wife got was that it cost them too much to cut up boned out meat. However, they bone everything out when they package it. Doesnt make sense. But that really wasnt my issue I was pissed they told my wife they wouldnt take it and left her to toat 150lbs of elk meat into the back of my F350 with a lift in the rain. If they would have just helped her load it back in the truck I would still be a loyal customer that just went somewhere else when circumstances made it necessary for me to bone out an animal. Their packaging is by far better than anywhere like I said before. I may get over it at some point and take my business back there because of the quality but it wont be for awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Im assuming they wont take preboned meat because they loose the bone weight.They charge by the hanging weight, bone and all,and @$1.09 per lb. that is alot of cash out of their pockets.-O,-

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You guys can have Thompsons, they will NEVER see another one of my elk again.
I'd like to hear your experience. Why not? I only took one elk there last year. I thought the packaging was sufficient (no clay meiers for sure) I do find myself picking quite a few elk hairs out of every package I unwrap but their customer service was awesome for the one time I was there. That goes along ways with me.

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
For those of you that bone out your meat in the field why even take it to a butcher? You have already done most of the work except for grinding burger and for that you can buy a electric grinder at Cabela's to do that for 1/2 the price that the butcher charges you to cut, grind, and wrap your game meat. You should be able to cut and wrap a elk in a couple of nights after work if it is boned and that way you know what you are getting, and you can do a deer in one night.

I have cut and wrapped every animal that I have ever shot in the last 40+ years of hunting except for one and after I got that elk back I swore that I would never have someone else do it for me.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
If you guys want the cleanest meat possible,take care of it! If you dont want any hair on it take care of it.I could tell you stories that would make you puke!!_/OWe always took a flame to it first then wiped the hair off as best we could.The real dirty ones were saved until last so they wouldnt contaminate other peoples meat.And by the way the butcher did NOT steal any of your meat,he is going to go home and have spaghetti:)

Reactions: Huge29

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I'd like to hear your experience. Why not? I only took one elk there last year. I thought the packaging was sufficient (no clay meiers for sure) I do find myself picking quite a few elk hairs out of every package I unwrap but their customer service was awesome for the one time I was there. That goes along ways with me.
$254 for two apple boxes of meat. I mean it was an elk for hell sakes. I don't know maybe it shrunk after I dropped it off.:?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Woah!! Ya I understand your feelings now. Was it whole or something? That is insane. The boned out meat saved me a bunch of money with them. I was around 90 for my two apple boxes.

Critter Im buying what your selling man. After last year I have really been thinking about trying it on my own. Never done it before.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Whatever you do,don't take any Devine meat it. They charge double and it gets expensive as hell. I made that mistake once and never again. I cut it up myself.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Whatever you do,don't take any Devine meat it. They charge double and it gets expensive as hell. I made that mistake once and never again. I cut it up myself.
Are you talking about clays or thompsons? I was out the door for less than 90 bucks. I brought in about 140 lbs of boned out meat. I told the guy my story about clays and he shook his head in disbelief and told me i made his job way easier and my elk was going in front of a bunch of whole ones hung up and i would have it back in two weeks. It actually took a month but i wasn't whining.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts