Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hunting buddy that wants to put together a Merriams hunt next spring. We would like a state with a multiple bird limit. He’ll likely be driving out from OK, so 10 -12 hrs is max distance. He doesn’t want a Rio hybrid either.

What are your favorite states for Merriams. Based on my limited research so far, NE and SD seem to be good bets, but I would love to hear other’s thoughts.

If nothing else, this gives us another excuse to talk “turkey”.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NE is crawling with turkeys. Realtree Turkey Hunting Nation rates them an A, and it is well deserved. I've hunted it twice, once in spring and once in fall (technically it was winter but fall tag season). Spring we had 3 males fly in to our one call and start fighting each other as well as our jake decoy. They massacred our decoy. It was crazy. Fall was one of the easiest fall turkey hunts I ever did, after a fantastic pheasant hunt.

I've hunted in 15 different states, and NE is tied for the best with CA (yeah, strange I know). You will not go wrong.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have a hunting buddy that wants to put together a Merriams hunt next spring. We would like a state with a multiple bird limit. He’ll likely be driving out from OK, so 10 -12 hrs is max distance. He doesn’t want a Rio hybrid either.

What are your favorite states for Merriams. Based on my limited research so far, NE and SD seem to be good bets, but I would love to hear other’s thoughts.

If you want a Merriams, this is all you need to know....the Black Hills! Don't consider any other place.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have hunted deer in the black hills and it is a very cool place. My opinion is based upon my fall observations and from a good friend of mine that hunted for Merriams in the black hills:

There are birds for sure but it is public land and gets hit pretty hard. Do I think it would be a fun as heck hunt--for sure! Do I think it would be a slam dunk for Merriams--no--but ya got an ok chance--just a lot of competition. If ya want the challenge and honor of taking a turkey on heavily hunted public land then the black hills is the place.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've thought about the Black Hills, but had that same thought...lots of competition. I need to look, but I bet the Sand Hills in NE have alot of birds...and less competition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We went to the Nebraska National Forest area, the grassland just to the west of that and the state park, all near the city of Chadron. Actually its not very far south of Black HIlls, in that corner where Wyoming/South Dakota/Nebraska meet. Lots and lots of turkeys and didn't see a single other turkey hunter the entire time in spring or fall.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Stay in the NW (Pine Ridge) part of NE if you want a merriams....

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Is cost an issue? Tell him to apply for a tag on the Jicarilla reservation and pretty much guarentee a true Merriams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts