Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how widespread this is, but holy smokes are we over-run with mice and voles this year. Guess its due to the super warm winter we had. For about the past month I've carried my bb gun with me at dark when I lock up the chickens, always see quite a few mice, kill at least 1 pretty much every evening. Thought the 25-30 I've killed would put a dent in at least the local population... nope, each night there's half a dozen or more waiting to act as targets.

Kindof fun shooting the little buggers, especially while waiting for summer to come on or ice off at the old fishing hole. Dont want to use poison as the hen's would get into it... thought about using cornmeal mixed with plaster of paris to kill them but that sounds like a moderately horrific way to die. I'll keep popping them with bb's.

-DallanC

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Not sure how widespread this is, but holy smokes are we over-run with mice and voles this year. Guess its due to the super warm winter we had. For about the past month I've carried my bb gun with me at dark when I lock up the chickens, always see quite a few mice, kill at least 1 pretty much every evening. Thought the 25-30 I've killed would put a dent in at least the local population... nope, each night there's half a dozen or more waiting to act as targets.

Kindof fun shooting the little buggers, especially while waiting for summer to come on or ice off at the old fishing hole. Dont want to use poison as the hen's would get into it... thought about using cornmeal mixed with plaster of paris to kill them but that sounds like a moderately horrific way to die. I'll keep popping them with bb's.

-DallanC
I went to IFA and got a couple of the live catch mouse traps and put them in the yard with a little cheese or peanut butter. Just put the whole trap in a bucket of water with the critters still in then dump out the drowned bodies after a few minutes, rebait and do it again.

Reactions: Huge29

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to IFA and got a couple of the live catch mouse traps and put them in the yard with a little cheese or peanut butter. Just put the whole trap in a bucket of water with the critters still in then dump out the drowned bodies after a few minutes, rebait and do it again.
Bought several of those, caught zero mice in them after 2 months. Move htem around in different positions, still nada. I think the mice jump on top of them to then jump up into the food -O,-

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
My wifes stupid cat brings us one about every other day.Doesnt kill them just holds them in her mouth waiting to get in and show us-O,-

Reactions: Huge29 and wyogoob

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Bought several of those, caught zero mice in them after 2 months. Move htem around in different positions, still nada. I think the mice jump on top of them to then jump up into the food -O,-

-DallanC
Did you have the ones that are a galvanized metal box with two slots to get in and a hinged solid lid?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Get some 2" pipe about 24" long. Drill a small hole in the center ( big enough to put the poison in). plug the hole with rubber plug. Stake them down with some rigid wire, shaped like a U-bolt. place them around the yard. The little buggers will climb in and eat the poison. This should keep all the other animals out. This works really good. Also in the winter as well, when they are burrowing underneath the snow.

·
Super Moderator
10,300 Posts
The big problem with poison is the animals that eat the mice or voles that have been poisoned and not necessarily the bait that is poisoned. Then they either get very sick or die themselves.

·
Super Moderator
10,300 Posts
My wifes stupid cat brings us one about every other day.Doesnt kill them just holds them in her mouth waiting to get in and show us-O,-
The cat is just showing you that he is doing his job of catching mice and wants to be rewarded with some good food.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get some 2" pipe about 24" long. Drill a small hole in the center ( big enough to put the poison in). plug the hole with rubber plug. Stake them down with some rigid wire, shaped like a U-bolt. place them around the yard. The little buggers will climb in and eat the poison. This should keep all the other animals out. This works really good. Also in the winter as well, when they are burrowing underneath the snow.
Lost some hens a couple years ago, we figured out poisoned mice were dying and the hens would come along and eat them then die themselves. No more poison.

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
At the school we put double bubble bubble gum in their holes. they eat it, and can't pass it. then they die.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had gophers in my yard once, couldnt kill them with poison... finally hooked a hose to the exhaust of my truck, ran it into a fresh hole, packed dirt around the hose and let it run for an hour or so... that was the end of the gophers.

I know of 1 big mouse hole, maybe I'll try that next.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
IFA has a new rat and mouse killer called Rat X.
It is suppose to be non toxic. Kills only the rats and mice and not the animals that eat them after they are dead. Says it is naturally derived, and safe around livestock, pets, and poultry.
Not cheap, but suppose to work well.
Only problem is that it does not list Voles.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Soon, the mice and voles will suffer from mineral deficiencies and die anyway. Have you noticed any exhibiting over bites or any other malformations?-----SS
I can google search and cite 11 teen different studies that show that if you use eleventy seven tons of glyphosate and ten billion gallons of 2,4-D per square centimeter and you have a biomass deficiency of selenium that is equal to the pythagoriam's theorem divided by the square root of the diameter of Uranus plus 7 oil company trucks spraying magnesium salt on a gravel road then your voles and mice will suffer some sort of issues that may contribute to their declining population as their actual population numbers are increasing.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I can google search and cite 11 teen different studies that show that if you use eleventy seven tons of glyphosate and ten billion gallons of 2,4-D per square centimeter and you have a biomass deficiency of selenium that is equal to the pythagoriam's theorem divided by the square root of the diameter of Uranus plus 7 oil company trucks spraying magnesium salt on a gravel road then your voles and mice will suffer some sort of issues that may contribute to their declining population as their actual population numbers are increasing.
Dont even start-O,-

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
First thing I would do is let your chickens free range as much as possible. Chickens are mice eating machines. AS far as the voles go....we have used the poison and the traps havahart traps at the same time. I am not a fan of poison at all so we quit using it. The mice are pretty much gone because of the chickens. I have not seen any signs of the voles yet this year in my yard and to be honest it is not that big of deal to me anymore. I will use the safe traps and that is it if I end up having them again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts