Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my favorite spot on the middle to cure the cabin fever that I had.

It was cold, I got skunked, but it was nice to get out for a couple of hours. I was using assorted minnow plugs. In my experience they are not the most effective for winter fishing. Should of tried that Provo bounce rig... :x

Now I'm on my way to sell some blood plasma to fund my fishing addiction. :D

Can't wait til' spring!!!!!! --\O

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Drink alot of orange juice so you can sell more plasma the next day.

I am impatiently waiting for spring as well. I sat through my classes today, and all I could think about is how to rig me up a one man boat/lawnchair rig so I can access good bass structure even when alone this summer.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Donating your plasma for the benefit of catching fish. Nice. 8)

I hear the U will give $50.00 a shot for your fellas. :wink: :wink:

Don't know if it's true, but if I lived close by, I'd find out for sure!!!

Glad you got out to the river. Hope next time is better.

G

·
Nibble Nuts said:
I am impatiently waiting for spring as well.
Why? Enjoy the winter. It offers some of the best fishing opportunities all year, especially on the Provo. You can practically have the river all to yourself, and you can catch plenty of fish too. You just have to adjust your tactics. Plugs and spinners are not going to be very effective in winter because the fish are far less active. In winter less is more. Smaller is better. Use small nymph or midge patterns in size 18-22. Small egg patterns are still productive as well since the browns have recently spawned. One of the biggest 'bows I have ever caught was on the Provo in January with an egg pattern. If you don't fly-fish then try the bounce method. It works wonders but it takes practice to master. Look for the deeper holes and slower moving water. That is where you will find the fish. If it is a sunny day then you can also find them in shallow flats warming themselves in the sun. For some REALLY fun winter river fishing try the Weber for whitefish. They are tough fighters and you can catch them by the dozen in the winter. Any deep hole will hold several and they will willingly take just about nymph that drifts through it.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I echo everything that weekend warrior said about the Weber. Those whitefish will bring a smile to your face, as will the occasional brown that will get on your line as well! Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
True on the whitefish. The problem is anytime you touch a whitefish you smell like a fish for a week. I had some luck last week on the Middle (River Road North) fishing a gray midge cluster to a pod of rising fish. I was pleasantly suprised at the number of rising fish. I had to be 10 degrees.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, it's the freezing cold part that really turns me off to winter fishing.

Fish or no fish... it's just too cold.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing that will get me back out this winter is if someone guarantees me a 40"+ trout, a 3lb perch, or $500 if their guarantee fails. :lol:

The real problem for me is scheduling. In the summer and fall it works great because all my fishing days are week days which = less people. In the winter I don't like rivers very much and all you ice holes (or hoes as orvis1 likes to be called?!) seem to be weekend guys... :cry:

Hopefully I get out at least once on the ice this winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts