Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to fish the creek in Big Cottonwood canyon? If so, does anybody do it and what's in there?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the main creek. I think it is legal. I know I have seen many fish it. There are browns, bows, and brookies that I know of. The areas near the beaver dam close to the top seem to be good. It may not be advisable to fish it this time of year as access should be difficult.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
knew i could count on my boy nibble for a quick response. Just went up the canyon on a roll over that turned out to be nothing, just kinda started staring at the water!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Those fish are pretty tiny though. I have watched some people catch some respectable browns though. I've caught a brook and a brown over in the swampy looking area.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only swampy area that I saw looked iced over, maybe I will take my auger! Do you know if you can use bait, or is it a.f. and lures only?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Poo Pie said:
The only swampy area that I saw looked iced over, maybe I will take my auger! Do you know if you can use bait, or is it a.f. and lures only?
I would err on the safe side and stick with flies and lures until you find out for sure. I've only used lures and only seen flies and lures used there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nibble Nuts said:
[quote="Poo Pie":5ncfa017]The only swampy area that I saw looked iced over, maybe I will take my auger! Do you know if you can use bait, or is it a.f. and lures only?
I would err on the safe side and stick with flies and lures until you find out for sure. I've only used lures and only seen flies and lures used there.[/quote:5ncfa017]
gracias

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Poo Pie said:
I would err on the safe side and stick with flies and lures until you find out for sure. I've only used lures and only seen flies and lures used there.
gracias[/quote]

Bien Venidos, I think (Don't really know what I just wrote).

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
:lol:

You just said wel come.

It's bienvenidos (1 word).

I know you were just messin.

I can't find "Big Cottonwood Creek" in the proc anywhere, so I assume it's general statewide regs. Go find a big bend and drift a juicy worm through it!

I could be wrong about the name, but I'm pretty sure that's what it goes by.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have fished this stream quite a bit. It is fairly good fishing, but there are few large fish. Finding the right spot is key. If you hike a bit, you will find bigger fish. Towards the top of the canyon there are several good holes, but this is also where most people fish. I rarely flyfish this stream as it is very hard to avoid the vegetation. small spinners or tube jigs work well. I talked to a ranger there at silver lake and he told me that you can use bait. That was about 6 years ago though, could have changed since then.
For some quick action for small brookies try the stream above silver lake. there are hundreds in that section. Tiny usually, but they are pretty little guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts