Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Minersville with my father on Saturday, 1/19/08. We fished from 8am - 6:30pm. Fish were suspended at a depth of 12 feet, in 18 feet of water. The bite was fast from 10am - 12pm. We had about 40 strikes/bumps, 25 hookups and 18 landings. All fish were between 16 and 18.5 inches, with the majority being 17.5 inch rainbows (5 were cutts). They were very fat and appeared far healthier than the skinny cutts. I wonder what percent of the fish in this lake are over the slot...... 1 %??? They are fat, beautifully colored fish, but not very long. After 1pm, the bite died and we only picked up fish sporadically until we left at 6:30pm. The lure of the day was a small, white/pearl tube jig (1/8 oz w/ white head). Both head and body were glow-in-the-dark, but I don't think they were hitting it for that reason, as there was plenty of light. The problem was consistently finding fish. If they showed up on the fishfinder, we were almost guaranteed a bite. They seemed to be spread-out and not as grouped together as in the past. Other nearby anglers were doing well also. I found most fish to be at the edge of the inclined bank and the flat bottom, but anglers were also catching them in shallower water (8 - 12ft). It was a fun day of fishing. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Flyfish4thrills said:
I fished Minersville with my father on Saturday, 1/19/08. We fished from 8am - 6:30pm. Fish were suspended at a depth of 12 feet, in 18 feet of water. The bite was fast from 10am - 12pm. We had about 40 strikes/bumps, 25 hookups and 18 landings. All fish were between 16 and 18.5 inches, with the majority being 17.5 inch rainbows (5 were cutts). They were very fat and appeared far healthier than the skinny cutts. I wonder what percent of the fish in this lake are over the slot...... 1 %??? They are fat, beautifully colored fish, but not very long.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you all did really good. I was lead to believe that they were all skinny and starving to death - but it sounds like they are just the same way they were when we were catching them last fall.

As for the percent of fish over the slot, I'm sure it's like every other place that has this type of regulation that the majority of the fish are going to be in that slot, but when you can find a fish or two out of the slot, it sure makes it worth it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the cutts did look very thin---almost unhealthy---definetly not as healthy as at Strawberry. As for length, I guess I am spoiled by how easy it is to catch fish over 22 inches at Strawberry. I rarely keep fish, as I don't really like the taste. I would like to catch larger fish in southern Utah. I am wondering if a different lure selection or a different part of the lake may be more productive (less quantity and larger size). Past years I have caught some at Minersville over 21''. I was just surprised to see so many fat fish between 16 and 18 inches. It is like their length is stunted and they gain girth. Length isn't always as important. I should start weighing them, I guess. With the way Panguitch fish are growing, that may be a good fishery in a couple of years. Does anyone know how to obtain DWR survey data?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should go over the mountain to Otter Creek or Piute, much bigger fish.[attachment=0:8m2u02h0]oc rainbow - 400.jpg[/attachment:8m2u02h0]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts