Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided i'd hit Minersville again after a long layoff on the ice. We rolled in at noon, and right of the bat hit 2 fish, a 15 inch cutt and a 16 inch rainbow. It was about 1 hour before we caught another 19 inch rainbow. Then the bite shut off until about 4:30, but we were only able to catch 2 more fish. The fish were deeper than the last 3 trips, about ten to fifteen foot depth and very light biting. I used a small brown tube, and my partner used a white tube. By far the slowest day i've had there this ice season, so i guess i have an excuse to go somewhere else next trip. Fishlake Maybe?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Minersville – Catch and release right? I see you’ve got the catch part down, but I have to wonder how the release part is going when I see a photo of you holding a fish with your fingers shoved into his lungs. The only reason I say anything is it looks like a nice fish and I may want to try and catch him this spring when the ice is off. - But then again, I could just be being a jurk. :wink: :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Its artificial flies and lures only with only one fish over 22 inches. And there is thousands of fish exactly like that one in that reservoir. So don't worry Improv. :wink:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Good looking fish, beautiful colors. That fish makes me want for springtime (as a non-icehole).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Geeeeze, I just typed up a nice response to this post but somehow it didn't go through so here goes again. I don't know why some people get so finicky about the way people handle fish. I try to handle fish that I catch with care and never ever put my fingers through the gills but I can guarantee you that the second that fish in the pic was put back that it took off like a dart. Some people will say "ya but the fish will die a while after you let it go". Oh yeah, well how the crap could you know that? The only possible way to know with some certainty is to put some sort of monitoring device on at least 100 fish that are manhandled and see what happens. BUT, even if they all died then one can argue that putting the device on the fish is what killed it. The only other way that I can think of to test this "assumption" is to catch and manhandle captive fish and monitor them. THEN, one can argue that captive fish are weaker (or other things related to captive fish) than fish in a natural setting and that is the reason they died (assuming the fish died). The fact of the matter is that noone can know for sure what happens. If a fish is hooked in the mouth/upper throat area and swims away normally than you have to assume that its ok even if you had it out of water for a short amount of time to get a pic while holding it. But, just to be cautious, I would highly reccomend not putting your fingers through its gills, its almost just as easy to hold it normally.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
OH NO, IT'S THE ETHICS POLICE!!! Where do I run to now? 8)

Some people just have to complain about something. Next time you post a pic, make sure to hold the fish by its eyes. 8)

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I noticed there arn't nearly as many fishing ethics police, as there were in the dwr forum. If you want to see ethics police, go post something in the archery and big game sections. :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
fixed blade said:
I noticed there arn't nearly as many fishing ethics police, as there were in the dwr forum. If you want to see ethics police, go post something in the archery and big game sections. :D
Been there, done that. I was trolling for flames however.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jeremy28 said:
Geeeeze, I just typed up a nice response to this post but somehow it didn't go through so here goes again. I don't know why some people get so finicky about the way people handle fish. I try to handle fish that I catch with care and never ever put my fingers through the gills but I can guarantee you that the second that fish in the pic was put back that it took off like a dart. Some people will say "ya but the fish will die a while after you let it go". Oh yeah, well how the crap could you know that? The only possible way to know with some certainty is to put some sort of monitoring device on at least 100 fish that are manhandled and see what happens. BUT, even if they all died then one can argue that putting the device on the fish is what killed it. The only other way that I can think of to test this "assumption" is to catch and manhandle captive fish and monitor them. THEN, one can argue that captive fish are weaker (or other things related to captive fish) than fish in a natural setting and that is the reason they died (assuming the fish died). The fact of the matter is that noone can know for sure what happens. If a fish is hooked in the mouth/upper throat area and swims away normally than you have to assume that its ok even if you had it out of water for a short amount of time to get a pic while holding it. But, just to be cautious, I would highly reccomend not putting your fingers through its gills, its almost just as easy to hold it normally.
You don't think the DWR and other state's fishing departments haven't researched the effects of mishandling fish? Like putting your fingers in the gills.
From the 2008 Guidebook:

"Wet your hands or a towel before handling • the fish, and handle it as little as possible. Don't squeeze its body or eye sockets, and never touch its gills. Gently release the fish into quiet water."

I'm not saying that this fish died... I have no idea, but he certainly increased the probability by mishandling it.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Improv said:
I have to wonder how the release part is going when I see a photo of you holding a fish with your fingers shoved into his lungs.
lungs. That's good.

anthropomorphism. Go look it up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The whole point I was trying to make is that fish aern't as sensitive as some people in the forum make them out to be. AND that noone can know for sure what happens to manhandled fish (even the DWR).

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I know what you're saying, Jeremy28. It's true...You can't say for certain that a fish WILL die from being mishandled unless you were to actually follow it around for the rest of the day. The DWR may have conducted studies, but they don't know how that particular fish will react to being handled.

Even then, you'll have people saying that the protective slime was damaged and the fish could contract a fungus or other skin diseases that take more than a day to take hold.

It's a never-ending argument. All you can do is try.

I'm not the greatest fish handler, that's for sure. Sometimes I have a really hard time even getting flies out of fish. People would argue that I need to pinch my barbs.

Nobody wins. Ever.

Check that, the only guy that doesn't get shot down is the guy that doesn't post. We all lose, if that's the case.

I thought it was a great bow. I probably wouldn't have touched under the gill plate, but I would've touched the fish. That's pretty much part of ice fishing, isn't it? Who wants to bring a fish to the hole and remove the hook without even looking at their catch? Why fish?

Sorry your post turned into a mudslinging war, Christopher30.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts