Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
in need of more patience
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are driving up to my homeland in Northern Minnesota for a blac bear hunt. We each have a tag and I am going to try to film her entire hunt so it should be pretty fun. She is using rifle and I am going bow and hope to have some cool memories/pics/rugs/meat next week. I know most here dont eat bear but they are getting good corn/sunflowers up there and may taste pretty good if cooked right. We will see

Stay tuned , more to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
in need of more patience
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well , sorry for the late update. We brought home 1 bear. The wife shot one opening day in the evening. It was a 190 lbs dry sow, the next day I sat in the heat all day and it was HOT , 87 with humidity and no breese , but right at dark a big ol boar came in and i finally got a shot off i wanted with my bow. Put a 3 blade fixed straight through him and we let him sit for about 45 min before we went after him. Right away tracking he was pouring out blood 3-FEET high from both sides. no way he could go far, WELL ........... 2-miles later through the thickest Minnesota forest imaginable, we are still getting blood on both sides, we found his "summer den" and he did lie down for a bit and make a good puddle, another half mile or so he started to fatty clot up and we were finding big clots falling out of him. He made it to a bean field and took a hard turn toward the indian reservation. This is NOT GOOD as they do not allow you on the res to collect. It is now 1am and i was on the border of a field we are not allowed in W/O permission so we back out and wait till morning to get permission and see blood tracks again after a heavy due was dropping.

The walk out that night was pretty sweet as we had the amazing glow from the NORTHERN LIGHTS leading us on our dark hick back to a road where some one could come get us. Next morning while we are waiting for go ahead to walk through his field and go search in his forest that bordered the one we hunt we decide to take a quick run on the side by side down the dike that separates the wild rice fields and the reservation and to check the bean field we had tracked him into the night prior. He has 2 choices, either dump back into the woods and lay down (we hoped ) , or continue straight to go back onto the reservation where he knew he would be safe to lay down and die. All looked good till we both saw a fresh track through the bean field and all said *#^% at the same time. I ran out into the bean field and we back tracked it right to where we lost blood and determined he def did cross the dike and back onto the reservation. They are a tough animal and i am sure he didn't go far onto the res before he laid down and died BUT i was told to not go after him. My buddies and their family have lived 1 mile off that res for 40 years and we stayed away from it when we were kids as we are def not welcome there ( yes -i do understand why, and dont blame them). With that being said the only chance we had was to find a local who lives on the res and bring him with OR they have 35 reservation game wardens on site and if i was to be found on there, they take everything and i have to go through their federal court system for trespassing and it would take a while. I was also told , if the locals find you first, it is there call as to what to do with you and we grew up with bad stories from our grandparents who had friends getting caught on there and it never turned out good.

Long story longer i was not able to go collect him. Even with that being said i have NEVER lost an animal and i understands it happens but i was devastated and mopped around for 2 days drinking at camp over thinking my shot 1,000s of times and didn't sleep for 2 days. It was without a doubt the BEST HUNT i have ever been on and when i sent that arrow into him i was shaking harder than i ever did with any of my elk/deer. I chose to eat my tag as i deserved it. I placed the arrow right where i wanted it but i must have just been below his lungs. We got a quick pic from the trail camera while he sat down to eat before i took the shot as i waited for his to stad brous side for a good vital shot. The guys who run camp all estimated him over 400 lbs from the pics and the hight he stood at the bait pile. It really sucked losing him and it killed me to waist such an awesome animal , but i will be back for more next year. I will add a pic of the wife's bear when i get it to my computer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts