Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Waitin' 4 Fall
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in SW Missouri and have been coming out to hunt the west every year since 1993. I've taken elk, mule deer, antelope and bear in various western states. In Utah I've bowhunted the Fishlake NF around Hilgard mountain for deer 3 times and muzzleloader hunted the Abajo mountains north of Monticello once for deer, killing a couple of bucks over the trips.

The first year I hunted Fishlake I had an encounter with a big bull elk that about gave me a heart attack. Around mid morning I sat down on a fallen tree to rest and a few minutes after I sat down a big 6x6 bull walked out in front of me at 10 yards. He had big whale tales and the ends of his main beams swept back and down. He had chocolate brown beams with ivory tips. He was a fully mature bull and it was an incredible sight.

The San Juan muzzleloader elk hunt was going on the year I hunted the Abajos and one evening right at dark I sat on a log and listened to at least half a dozen bulls bugling back and forth below me in the oak brush. I must have sat there for half an hour listening to the music.

This is my 13th year applying for a Utah LE elk tag and my 12th year applying for a desert bighorn tag. Doubt I'll ever draw the sheep tag but I'm hoping to draw the elk tag soon. I've been visiting this site for a couple of years and finally decided to register. If anyone plans to come to Missouri to hunt whitetails, turkeys or waterfowl I'd be glad to offer some advice or meet up to hunt if my schedule permits.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:welcome:

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I hunted whitetails and turkeys in Missouri for a number of years, Linn and Adair Counties.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have some outside perspective.

Are you rich Goob?

With all the private land back east I'm told without 90% public lands in my state. Only the rich man will get to hunt.

·
Super Moderator
3,394 Posts
Welcome to the forum, that's a really neat avatar you have! Missouri is a wonderful state, I've had the opportunity to visit it a few times and have had some awesome hunts there!

·
Waitin' 4 Fall
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum, that's a really neat avatar you have! Missouri is a wonderful state, I've had the opportunity to visit it a few times and have had some awesome hunts there!
Yeah, that bear is pretty special. He was 6 ft from nose to tail and his skull was a little over 19". His claws were even white. I got him on a spot and stalk hunt in Alberta. I had him tanned for a full body mount, I just don't have that kind of money right now to do the mount.

We have some of the best turkey hunting in the nation and our waterfowl hunting is pretty sweet too. The snow geese don't generally come through where I live but it would only be about a 2 hour drive.

The northern half of the state is agricultural country and we produce some world class whitetails. Every year two or three 200" bucks come out of Missouri. We had elk re-introduced to the state about 5 years ago from Kentucky and they are doing well. I actually had a bull right under my tree stand two years ago.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
welcome to the group. beautiful bear. I have family in Dade county MO and I graduated highschool in St Joseph.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
id love for you to show me the Show Me State! Just kidding! Awesome elk story. you are right on the sheep, complete waste of time. I was 6 years into mine before realizing what a waste it was, there are guys who have been applying since they opened the desert species in like 1993 and still never drawn. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts