1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Good general season buck :!:....

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
He's pushing 190 easily. The only thing that would disqualify him from the book is if you shot him with a "long range" rifle, as that is unethical.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Just remember to hold a little high.

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I had a chance to shoot one just like this last year. He was standing 150 - 175 yds. broadside to us. I had my boy by my side and it was his first year. So I let him try and get the first shot. Unfortunately he wasn't able to get a shot off. He kept telling me to shoot and not worry about him. I thought to myself, no way. How cool would it be to shoot a 32-33" two point for his first buck. I love huge two points. To me they are very unique.

·
Senior Goof
3,589 Posts
Where are all the guys that say mature old deer are always big 4 and 5 points and completely disregard when we tell them that genetics are real....

Awesome buck. I would happily hang a GS tag on him.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have seen several big 2 and 3 points this year.
Don't know if it the good feed or what the deal is.
There is a 3 point hanging around my area that has the fork on top and the single on the bottom. He is very tall with deep points and nice eye guards, will be hard to pass up if I run into him next week. I tend to shoot ones I shouldn't sometimes. :mrgreen:

I'll try to get a picture. He has not been on my trail cams as of yet.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Where are all the guys that say mature old deer are always big 4 and 5 points and completely disregard when we tell them that genetics are real....

Awesome buck. I would happily hang a GS tag on him.
Genes are real, but you need to understand how they work, especially with regard to deer antlers. He could be an older deer with degenerating antlers, but he appears to be large bodied and healthy, so I would expect some other explanation for his "phenotypic variation" of being a large 2 point. Genes? sure, but antler growth is highly epigenetic(environmentally dependent), so without evidence of extreme old age, or disease, there would be, how should I say this........"dozens of possibilities" for him being a large 2 point.

This is about as condensed as it gets on the subject: http://deerlab.org/Publ/pdfs/48.pdf It's these outside influences on the epigenetics that dictate a majority of factors, including size, mass, and variations out side of standard 2 point and 4 point bifurcation. These become genetically encoded short term over time, and make up the local phenotypic variation you see in an area. Like areas that have large 4 points with a kicker on the right. Or areas that produce deep forked G1 and G2 3 points. If you change the external influences that are influencing the epigenetics, you will see a change in the phenotypic variation over time as well.

In simple terms of "genes" they are just a basic blue print for how things should be within certain parameters. It is all of the external influences that then dictate how those genes are going to be written and expressed in an animal. If the same external forces are present, that reinforced the previous expression, ie. inherited genes for a standard 4 point, then the odds are that is what will repeat again, and again. Change the external inputs, and you will see that expression change as well, dependent on those inputs.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cool buck, I would love to have a crack at one like that this weekend with my bow!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice buck for sure....unless it seeing things looks like he has 3 on his left side looks pretty clear at the 10 second mark.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Yep, it looks like the left side has 3 points you can see it when he turns his head

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
OK, I looked at it again and when he turns his head at 08 seconds it appears like there is a third tine on the left side but the more I look at it I think that is just his main beam that I am seeing.

No matter what he would be meat on the table.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts