Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just sitting under the covered patio enjoying a nice little downpour while some burgers smoke on the Traeger and I wondered what the monsoon season has in store. I tried looking at the farmers almanac and it wants me to do some paid subscription thing. Screw that. I have witnessed some nice little showers lately, but they have been scattered and short lived. It's still a little early for monsoon season to start, and maybe it shouldn't start yet anyway. They (whoever they is) say that when the monsoons start early that the monsoon season is short and insignificant.

Has anybody seen any long term forecasts? Anybody have a crystal ball? Just curious. We absolutely NEED a good one this year.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
The season is technically mid-June to end of September. I think it started in S. Utah last week from the satellite images and forecasts.

Looks like average to above average precip forecasts. Fingers crossed it's not all at once like last year.

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
I looked at the radar last night when I was getting hammered with rain and it looked like the Book Cliffs was getting hammered also. Just looked at it again it it is still raining over most of them still.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
Holy moley... we had INSANE rain for about 30-40 minutes tonight. I haven't seen rain like that in many many years. Our garden was baked hard where the spot sprinklers dont hit, I went out towards the end of the storm and there was easily 3" deep water covering the entire thing. All the plants were flattened, hopefully they come back. Our rain gutter was flowing a absolute stupid amount of water out of it. I took some pictures and video. Near the end the lighting and thunder started up, some pretty close strikes from the crack and boom shaking the house.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got 2 inches of rain during that 30 minute deluge.

Luckily we had just finished packing our trailer for the weekend and had it already hooked up to the truck about 20 minutes before the rain started.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I was just sitting under the covered patio enjoying a nice little downpour while some burgers smoke on the Traeger and I wondered what the monsoon season has in store. I tried looking at the farmers almanac and it wants me to do some paid subscription thing. Screw that. I have witnessed some nice little showers lately, but they have been scattered and short lived. It's still a little early for monsoon season to start, and maybe it shouldn't start yet anyway. They (whoever they is) say that when the monsoons start early that the monsoon season is short and insignificant.

Has anybody seen any long term forecasts? Anybody have a crystal ball? Just curious. We absolutely NEED a good one this year.
I seem to recall, a few years ago, we'd have a shower like yesterdays almost every , or every other, afternoon. Usually around 3ish (give or take) if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I know that "forecasting" is done from past meteorological history. Even the Meteorologist are peering into the crystal ball when forecasting beyond 10 days, even 7 days is getting out there to be accurate.

Every year I attend the Utah Floodplain Managers Association Conference. (UFMA) and I've seen so many presentations of weather patterns and forecast's of the storm events we have had and what we are having now. The most interesting, accurate, and spooky "forecast" I have ever seen presented, was by Brian Mcinerney. Prior to retiring a few years ago, he was the states Meteorologist for 30+ years.

He compiled every piece of weather activity in Utah and surrounding states, during his tenure. Plugged it all into a computer program, and had a timelapse satellite overlay of rain, snow, clamant temperatures, and so on. He also had every major weather event that took place during that time. Every one of the events that took place, could be explained and backed up with science, and satellite images of those events. Like the flooding in 1982 and the floods a few years back in Hilldale. It was like watching a scary movie of the forming of the event from satellite view, and knowing what was about to happen.

I don't know if his presentation is out on the web for someone to access, but, I will tell you what stood out for me. Utah will be jumping temps by 10-15 degrees (summer months) within the next 30-40 years. We will see a climate similar to the N.W. More rain and less snow (winter months) Only snow in the 9000' and higher elevations. The changing ocean currents and temps are happening today and this is creating change to how and when we receive moisture, and the pattern and direction it makes landfall into the west coast.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I know that "forecasting" is done from past meteorological history. Even the Meteorologist are peering into the crystal ball when forecasting beyond 10 days, even 7 days is getting out there to be accurate.

Every year I attend the Utah Floodplain Managers Association Conference. (UFMA) and I've seen so many presentations of weather patterns and forecast's of the storm events we have had and what we are having now. The most interesting, accurate, and spooky "forecast" I have ever seen presented, was by Brian Mcinerney. Prior to retiring a few years ago, he was the states Meteorologist for 30+ years.

He compiled every piece of weather activity in Utah and surrounding states, during his tenure. Plugged it all into a computer program, and had a timelapse satellite overlay of rain, snow, clamant temperatures, and so on. He also had every major weather event that took place during that time. Every one of the events that took place, could be explained and backed up with science, and satellite images of those events. Like the flooding in 1982 and the floods a few years back in Hilldale. It was like watching a scary movie of the forming of the event from satellite view, and knowing what was about to happen.

I don't know if his presentation is out on the web for someone to access, but, I will tell you what stood out for me. Utah will be jumping temps by 10-15 degrees (summer months) within the next 30-40 years. We will see a climate similar to the N.W. More rain and less snow (winter months) Only snow in the 9000' and higher elevations. The changing ocean currents and temps are happening today and this is creating change to how and when we receive moisture, and the pattern and direction it makes landfall into the west coast.
Before I retired a few years ago I would also go to some of Brian’s presentations.
His talks were the highlight of the day for me.
Amazing presenter.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I seem to recall, a few years ago, we'd have a shower like yesterdays almost every , or every other, afternoon. Usually around 3ish (give or take) if i remember correctly.
I'm pretty sure we got rain every day in July a few years ago.

While everyone else seems to be getting rain, we haven't had anything at my house in the Cedar Valley. The only thing flowing out of my rain gutters is dust.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Yeah, Cedar is still bone dry. We haven't watered our front lawn since last September. It's pretty obvious it's not just "dormant" anymore.

Ultimately it looks like we are projected to do better than up north but that's not panning out so far. I really can't remember the last measurable precipitation we got here.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
So last night as we were getting ready to hit the hay, I took a random walk around the basement to check things... just had "a feeling". Sure enough, I found minor flooding in the basement from that down pour.

/shrug

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts

And you said I was off topic. But I am glad that you used the correct pronoun "they":p

• Wow
Reactions: colorcountrygunner

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Nature Natural environment

A facebook friend posted this showing the rain gauge up on his place at this time last year. Inch and a half with plenty more on its way. NOTHING this year. Sad state of affairs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts