Utah Wildlife Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Here's one spot that was plugged -- out by the airport heading towards Flying L:

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Wow, Northern Utah is getting absolutely douched on today! The kind of rain you really like to see. Light to medium intensity over a long duration.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Steady rain last night in Parowan. Any more flooding in Cedar?
Yes -- same areas as yesterday having issues again today -- Gemini Meadows, on the opposite side of the canal from Flying L. I've also heard that Monarch Meadows, further down stream (north) from Flying L had issues last night / this morning.

(who comes up with these names, anyway?? They should use the real names, like "Hunter's Farm")

Until Coal Creek settles down, I think those areas will continue to have some issues.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
They got the Woodbury Split unplugged last night but sadly areas still got hit hard. Lady Bug in Cedar took another hit last night.

Agree with PBH, probably won't stop flooding until tomorrow when forecast dries out. Coal Creek was shaking our house again last night.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My daughter works at Ladybug -- they've been shoveling mud for weeks, and now they get to start over again. She's going to be thrilled.

so, the Woodbury Split. Designed to handle x amount of water. Not designed to handle any sediment deposition. What was Coal Creek's historic name? That's right: Little Muddy. It's a silt depositing machine. Why are we surprised that the streambed keeps rising??

It's not surprising that some of these recent floods (Cross Hollows?) are the result of development. I would dare say, with the exception of Enoch and their 5" of rain in an hour, that all of these flooded homes are in new neighborhoods. Flying L, Gemini Meadows, and Monarch Meadows were all FEMA flood zones prior to being developed into neighborhoods. The section of land directly north from Monarch, along the same canal, is still listed as flood zone. Cross Hollows is a historic flood channel. Walmart was a flood control pond! . How do developers get these areas removed from flood designation??

Reactions: 2full

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
How do developers get these areas removed from flood designation??
I don’t know the answer to that question, but I’m learning that just because they get an area out of flood designation, doesn’t mean it will remain that way. We’re learning this lesson in Provo right now since FEMA is telling the city our flood control infrastructure is not up to standard, and the city can either upgrade the levees, etc. to the tune of about $80m, or basically everyone west of the freeway will be required to get flood insurance. (Maybe some others too.)

·
Super Moderator
10,109 Posts
I don’t know the answer to that question, but I’m learning that just because they get an area out of flood designation, doesn’t mean it will remain that way. We’re learning this lesson in Provo right now since FEMA is telling the city our flood control infrastructure is not up to standard, and the city can either upgrade the levees, etc. to the tune of about $80m, or basically everyone west of the freeway will be required to get flood insurance. (Maybe some others too.)
Back in my younger days just about all the area west of the freeway between Center St and all the way up to the Lindon boat harbor would be under water at sometime during the year. This was the main reason that the property was mostly farms. Also along 800 South in Orem down off of the bench would flood every year. I'm nor sure if there is still a church on that road but their parking lot used to hold 3 foot of water during the spring run off.

But in today's world of Having Jordanelle Reservoir to take up a lot of the run off after Deer Creek is filled it is going to take a year like 1983 to get the Provo River to run at full capacity again.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I don’t know the answer to that question, but I’m learning that just because they get an area out of flood designation, doesn’t mean it will remain that way.
hmmm.....

So, now I have to wonder if Cedar City and Iron County continue to declare "state of emergency", maybe groups like FEMA will take a closer look, and instead of offering assistance they'll say "those areas should be included in flood zones" and change the designation back, requiring insurance.

Honestly, I feel terrible for the home owners. It isn't their fault. But I am starting to get tired of the city and county governments being run by realtors and developers. That's some bad ju-ju.

They keep telling us to conserve water, and stop watering our lawns because we don't have enough water -- and yet we have about 6 apartment and duplex neighborhoods currently being built around the valley - not to mention how many single-family homes. Our schools are over capacity, with no plans of any new schools being built - and our population is growing like crazy. Ugh.

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I could go on about the development process, floodplain management, storm durations and strength, infrastructure, plan development, and so on, but it is a lengthy and boring conversation. Growth will continue at an alarming rate and the rain events will become less often but with more violent storms. Just as we have been witnessing the last two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
10,109 Posts
When I was working in Price I watched developers just take bulldozers and fill in washes and ravines in order to put homes on level ground. That and rerouting river beds, sooner or later it will come back to haunt them or the new property owners.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
They just redid the FEMA maps for Cedar recently so I doubt they'll update them again anytime soon.

The equation of climate change causing more erratic precipitation patterns and development is a nasty one. You fill in enough places with concrete and black top and water finds an unfortunate way to move to lower ground.

I do wonder if Iron Co. won't be on the hook for the plugged diversions causing so much damage but I'm guessing there is some type of liability protection during such storms.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
The county road dept got overwhelmed cleaning out a lot of plugged culverts and fixing roads. Wednesday my wife ran up to the ranch to check it out and the road was okay, so Thursday she and my daughter headed up about mid day and got the jeep stuck in the middle of one of the creek crossings and gave me a call, I jumped in the truck and headed up, I pulled the jeep backwards out of the creek and tried to go through with the F250 and could only make it half way, was a little struggle to back it back out, the creek was full of silt and clay.

I called the county road dept and said I bet you guys don't have anything to do and he just laughed, he said it would be a few days before he could check on that road, I asked him if I could clean it out and he said any help would be appreciated.

We drove home and I took the 4 wheeler up and made it through the creek and up to the ranch and hopped on the old John Deere track loader and drove it down and cleared up the creek crossing then back up to the ranch where I had to clean out a culvert that was plugged and had the creek running down the main road making it a rutted mess.

Now I have to get a dump truck up there and get some more shale gravel on the road.

Reactions: 2full

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Search and Rescue has been up right hand all afternoon/evening getting people out .....
I went up just kicking around about 5. Ran into them before I even got around to the face. They HIGHLY suggested that I don't go any further. :unsure:
So I sat there and shot the bull with a couple of them. Pretty soon there was a couple of other trucks stopped that were going to go up, a couple of trucks coming down, and 3 more if the Search and Rescue trucks coming down.
We had a pretty good Pow Wow !!

Doesn't.sound good for me getting into my place for a few days. 🙁
I may have to get the snow machines out.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
15" at Midway (2" water)!
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Circle

Reactions: bowgy
181 - 197 of 197 Posts