Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 197 Posts
Pffft, the Aztecs stepped it up a lot higher than a goat when they wanted rain.

That would be one way to get the Nevadans to stay away from the 435.
If you're insinuating that I should be doing human sacrifices with Nevadans (or Californians) to make it rain, be careful....I just might bring catastrophic floods upon this place!

I'm already building my boat.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
If you're insinuating that I should be doing human sacrifices with Nevadans (or Californians) to make it rain, be careful....I just might bring catastrophic floods upon this place!
Slow your roll, buddy. Suddenly it's 90% chance of heavy rain and thunderstorms for my baby's first 2 nights camping. Maybe too much enthusiasm with sacrifice is a bad thing?

Probably best to pace the rituals out a bit for everyone's benefit.

I'm personally not going to believe it till I SEE and SMELL the rain. My grandson and I are going to head up to the cabin this afternoon. I love being up there when it's raining. He wants to go up and shoot the Miner's Peak Archery Range. ( We have a 5 position range we've set up.).
We'll shoot bows till it starts raining and then enjoy the rain.
Hope we can get back out........

Cedar got hit hard. :)

Reactions: colorcountrygunner
I just got back from going towards our cabin. It had rained and hailed hard on Cedar mountain. They road got too muddy and we had to turn and come back. Would like to have seen how much in my rain gauge. Was perfect timing for a storm. Will get the grass and flowers a good jump start.

Attachments

The news reports are suggesting localized areas of catastrophic rain. (Gulp)
It looked like Springdale got hit really hard. Anyone know if all that water came down the Virgin? Or did it come down a side canyon? I know Cedar Mountain got nailed, so it could have come from up on top...

I just got back from going towards our cabin. It had rained and hailed hard on Cedar mountain. They road got too muddy and we had to turn and come back. Would like to have seen how much in my rain gauge. Was perfect timing for a storm. Will get the grass and flowers a good jump start.
Too bad you got that far and didn't make it all the way. The mountain sure needed that. Thanks for the pics

Discussion starter · #35 ·
USGS often releases an event map after flooding like Zion experienced. I'll be curious to see what drainage it hit hardest but the videos I saw showed the Virgin flooding right by established park camps.

The North Fork of the Virgin went from ~23cfs at 2:00pm to over 150cfs at about 5:00pm, then back down to 40cfs that night.

The Escalante went from <1cfs at 1:45pm to 550cfs at 2:15pm! Wow! that would have been a wild ride!

The Paria went from 0 (dry) to over 10cfs.

Reactions: Catherder
It looked like Springdale got hit really hard. Anyone know if all that water came down the Virgin? Or did it come down a side canyon? I know Cedar Mountain got nailed, so it could have come from up on top...

It sounds like you answered your own question, but the news reported Zion NP station reporting 1.63 inches of rain yesterday. Since I'm pretty sure the station is in Zion canyon, the Virgin got nailed. As you noted however, so did other areas. The Escalante, holy cow! 550 cfs?

I hope Colorcountryguns just used California goats.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Such a relief to sit through a two hour rain storm on a guard station porch. Just gorgeous to see and I didn't realize how much I missed the monsoon. The smell alone was phenomenal.

The Dutton is dry but the new rain should help. When you compare the enclosures to the rest of the range though you see how bad our forage will be this year 😥

Just a heads up for any of you that might be heading to Colorado and points east, our monsoons are wrecking havoc in Glenwood Canyon where the Grizzly Creek fire was last year. So far in the last week the canyon and I-70 have been closed around 5 times due to mudslides covering both lanes of I-70. Right now if there is even a warning of a flash flood they will shut down I-70 until the warning is back to just a watch.

When I came home last Thursday I got through the canyon early and then it was shut down both directions at 330 pm.

If you get caught on the freeway when they shut it down the deter is from Rifle up to Craig and then HWY 40 It can add a considerable amount of time. It doesn't help that there are road closures on HWY 50 between Grand Junction and Montrose.

21 - 40 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.