Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 60 of 197 Posts
I got wet.....I was up at the cabin trying to get a couple of things done while watching it come in. I tried to get one more hummingbird feeder refilled and waited too long.
Ended up getting nailed. Had to sit in the cabin and watch it rain.
Was great, best storm this summer so far.
It let up for a half hour and i got out. A little muddy, but not too bad.
Was starting to rain hard again as I came home across the top.

A big problem with the heavy rains is that it doesn't really soak into the ground. It comes down so fast and just runs off of the top surface to the creek or river in the drainage system and then hopefully if you have a reservoir downstream into it.

To really help the aquifer you need a nice gentle rain that goes on for hours that really soaks into the ground.

To really help the aquifer you need a nice gentle rain that goes on for hours that really soaks into the ground.
Kind of true, but not all the way. Some of that water soaks in, even if it isn't ideal for that specific purpose. Any drop is better than no drop. Take what you can get. We need it any way we can get it.

A lot depends on the substrate too. Slickrock or very rocky soil with a lot of slope soaks in far less than more "conventional" soil with low sloping like you would have in town or in the foothills.
Nilla is right though, we will take it any way we can.

sounds like a number of people in Enoch decided to store a bunch of water in their basements. :confused:

that storm yesterday was a pretty wild ride!

3-6 inches? Holy crap!

I don’t want anyone getting hit by flooding that comes from that. Kind of a catch 22. Pray for rain, and rain is what you get!
True, but Lund isn't exactly a densely populated metropolis. It could have hit in worse places. That's still a staggering amount of rain for Utah though.

Lol, I think Backcountry is ready for a visit from our two young friends.;)

We got hit hard at my house, but only for about 10 minutes. Then it backed off and just rained for a while. I had a nice lake around my house this morning.

Watching doppler last night, there was a huge orange blob over Minersville. I commented this morning to a co-worker that storms like this will certainly help the water situation at a reservoir that size. Will it be enough to put the restrictions back in place (AFLO)? I doubt it. To be honest, I'm not too worried about it. We're going to lose some fish - whether by angler mortality or by water temps / oxygen depletion -- but the long term affect will be a positive, assuming we get some water over this coming winter. Assuming we get good water, the reservoir will rebound quickly! The bonus will be that whatever fish make it through this summer will grow FAST over the winter and next spring resulting in some BIG fish. Couple that with appropriate stocking, and we'll be back to having a great fishery next year.

But we need water.

Reactions: Catherder
(I worry more about the ATV crowd at Minersville than the PB crowd!)

41 - 60 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.