Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to draw the 1 public tag on the Hardscrabble CWMU. My dates are the first week of Oct. I am choosing to not hire a guide... I would rather the thrill of doing this on my own than having a guide take me to a bull and convince me it is the best one on the unit. Hopefully I don't regret my choice. That being said, anyone ever hunted on that unit and have recommendations of where to start? Not being able to access the unit prior to the hunt is a significant drawback. I know generally where to look... I am looking for specifics. Where have bulls been taken in the past?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
No experience on that unit. But some on units close by. Most CWMU's don't harbor moose consistently. They are passing through and are dependent on conditions and timing. With a week to hunt and no scouting I would be prepared to shoot any bull you see. Generally you won't see many to choose from.

Good luck and have fun. Swing back by and share the report of your hunt.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just a little FYI for you. From my experience hunting on a CWMU the land owner typically will not just turn you loose to roam free. most of them are going to point you in the right direction to locate a moose and will most likely have some one with you while you hunt. Middleforks information is spot on. By the way thanks for the help last year Middle.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum. looking forward to the story

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
Best advise is to talk to the operator of the CWMU and read their requirements.

As was posted,you are not just turned loose to wander the whole property but more than likely will be assigned a location to hunt. This along with only being allowed 1 or perhaps 2 helpers and no ATV's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help everyone... What I've gathered from your comments and my research is the bulls will be on the move looking for cow's as the rut starts up. Short of any specific info, and inability to pre-scout, my plan is to find best glassing locations that cover the most amount of ground... spot and stalk. I received a instructions letter and map from the land manager. Basically it said the following:

1-2 people allowed other than me and we must stay together at all times.
I can enter the property the day before my hunt.
ATV/UTV's allowed on designated roads
Camper's allowed below certain area. Walk-in camping allowed anywhere.

There will be 2 elk hunters and 1 deer hunter on the property at the same time as my bull moose hunt. Nothing was said about being restricted to specific location. I'll post update after the hunt... and hopefully pics of a nice bull.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
No experience on that unit. But some on units close by. Most CWMU's don't harbor moose consistently. They are passing through and are dependent on conditions and timing. With a week to hunt and no scouting I would be prepared to shoot any bull you see. Generally you won't see many to choose from.

Good luck and have fun. Swing back by and share the report of your hunt.
Well that's something good to learn about. I always figured each moose cwmu would have fair numbers and provide a decent chance at a bull. Sounds like it can be kind of a shot in the dark that requires a little luck. My buddy had been putting in for a certain cwmu because he knows the operator and has some boots on the ground experience with it. I have been putting in for the same unit, just piggybAcking off his knowledge. Hopefully it's as good as he seems to think it is.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well that's something good to learn about. I always figured each moose cwmu would have fair numbers and provide a decent chance at a bull. Sounds like it can be kind of a shot in the dark that requires a little luck. My buddy had been putting in for a certain cwmu because he knows the operator and has some boots on the ground experience with it. I have been putting in for the same unit, just piggybAcking off his knowledge. Hopefully it's as good as he seems to think it is.
There's no question on this.. I would not put in for a CWMU without prior knowledge of the unit because there is no ability to scout, and many the hunting can be really tough without the help of a guide that knows the area. My experience is that early October is not great in relation to rutting moose. That said, the paying moose hunter hasn't likely been in yet so the public will at least have the first crack at the moose. I have quite a bit of experience on some other CWMUs near Hardscrabble. I see a moose periodically between September and October. But come mid-September, I start seeing a lot. Hardscrabble is a tough CWMU anyways. Steep and deep.

Good luck to the hunter!

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
As was posted, you are not just turned loose to wander the whole property but more than likely will be assigned a location to hunt.
This is against the CWMU rules. A CWMU operator is NOT able to restrict where public hunters are able to access on a property unless EVERYONE is restricted from those areas.

Simply put, you have to be turned loose to hunt every square inch that is able to be hunted by anyone else on the property. They can restrict camping locations and can restrict ATV/horse use, which may make it tough to access portions, but they can’t specifically assign someone to a place to hunt on a property. It’s against the rules.

I’ve been a part of hunts on 3 different CWMUs now, holding tags myself on two of them. All three have been invested in our success and helped more than they were required. I’ve yet to have a bad personal experience on a CWMU. I don’t know anything about Hardscrabble, but I’m guessing the operator will give you good info if you ask.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
A lot of CWMU's don't get more than 1 moose tag and alternate yearly between public and private hunter. So it is not necessarily about competing with other hunters. I can also understand that the operators are responsible for making sure the hunters know and respect the boundaries But yes everyone should understand the rules for each CWMU before they even apply..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got chased off my Deer hunt today by two Bull Moose. Second day in the row I had to clear out or get stomped. I talked to a guy scouting for his brother that used 25 points to get his permit. Both these beasts need a few more years before I would consider them worth a 1/4 of a century wait to harvest. Looking for Elk and all I keep seeing is Deer, Moose, Coyotes and a ton of Bear sign. Good hunting to you on Hardscrabble.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hardscrabble is a rough CWMU. I haven't hunted it, but I have hunted on it's borders. There aren't a ton of roads, so there is a good chance that if you get a bull, you'll either need horses or alot of willing guys to help you get it out. I've seen moose in the upper reaches of Hardscrabble Canyon but it has been several years since the last time I hunted the area. Out of all the moose I have seen up there, none have been bombers...just my experience. Mostly 3 yr olds and younger. Best advise would be to do some e-scouting, find open glassing points and use them to locate a bull. They aren't hard to see in Oct after the leaves are down.

This won't be an easy hunt as it's a rough place topography-wise. Depending on your size standards, best check with the operator and see how much time, if any, beyond 5 days he will allow. If you're limited to 5 only, I wouldn't be super picky. After seeing a couple, I'd be pulling the trigger. Good luck and let us know how you do!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This is against the CWMU rules. A CWMU operator is NOT able to restrict where public hunters are able to access on a property unless EVERYONE is restricted from those areas.

Simply put, you have to be turned loose to hunt every square inch that is able to be hunted by anyone else on the property. They can restrict camping locations and can restrict ATV/horse use, which may make it tough to access portions, but they can’t specifically assign someone to a place to hunt on a property. It’s against the rules.

I’ve been a part of hunts on 3 different CWMUs now, holding tags myself on two of them. All three have been invested in our success and helped more than they were required. I’ve yet to have a bad personal experience on a CWMU. I don’t know anything about Hardscrabble, but I’m guessing the operator will give you good info if you ask.
Public hunters are restricted much more than you think on these CWMUs on where they can hunt… as per our discussion about Deseret a few months ago, they are notorious for telling public hunters they can’t go certain places. Hiawatha was another, it might have changed since the God of utah archery doesn’t lease it anymore. Three C is another. On my moose hunt in cedar canyon I was told not only that I couldn’t hunt in a few canyons, I also couldn’t use a legal compound bow to take my moose with. Of course I fought it (again, thanks for the tag $FW 😘), but they try to bully guys who don’t know any better. It all depends on who’s got the tag. But many guys are told certain places are off limits, then they turn around and take paying clients in there.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
To the OP, trophy moose hunting in utah is in the chitter, especially when you are restricted to a smaller unit. If it’s bigger than a 2 point and you don’t have free reign of the place and only have 5 days, I’d shoot it without thinking twice.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
But many guys are told certain places are off limits, then they turn around and take paying clients in there.
I didn’t say it has never happened, I said it is against CWMU rules by the state. And if it happened, and that tag holder didn’t report the CWMU to the board, then I guess that’s on the tag holder.

Like I have said on here before, I was shocked how serious the CWMU review board takes that specific issue. I saw two CWMU’s put on probation just last year in a committee hearing with the threat if they got another verified complaint they’d lose their CWMU status. This is a big deal to those in charge, but they can only be enforced if people do more than just post on the internet about it.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I didn’t say it has never happened, I said it is against CWMU rules by the state. And if it happened, and that tag holder didn’t report the CWMU to the board, then I guess that’s on the tag holder.

Like I have said on here before, I was shocked how serious the CWMU review board takes that specific issue. I saw two CWMU’s put on probation just last year in a committee hearing with the threat if they got another verified complaint they’d lose their CWMU status. This is a big deal to those in charge, but they can only be enforced if people do more than just post on the internet about it.
By the time it hits the board as a reported issue, the people who were a victim in it are SOL. It’s too late. They don’t get another tag. They don’t get their points back. Their waiting periods aren’t removed. It’s just kind of a “yeah that sucks, we’ll talk to them”, they slap their PeePee and put them in the time out corner. They might take it seriously, but by the time it comes to that, it’s too late for some. All I’m saying is the CWMU program for public hunters is a dangerous trap. There are many good ones. But get involved with the wrong one and you’re hosed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts